Make a donation

Author Topic: Carbon look......  (Read 1915 times)

Offline Johnny_tro

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 12
Carbon look......
« on: January 27, 2015, 07:58:40 pm »
If your doing the front grill or mirrors etc. what do you think is best?

1. Carbon dipped then lacquered? Assume you have the lacquer then to protect the dip

2. Carbon vinyl wrap and lacquered?

3. Other?

Note my funds do not stretch to genuine carbon as much as I would like it   
'VANDALISED' MK5 GT :( - RNS510 H, Bluetooth Armrest, MDI, 50gb hard drive, I can't park  sensors, Cruise Control, Highline Display, MFSW, Heated Seats, Remote Aux Heating System (Heats and Vents) Winter Pack, Heated & Folding Mirrors, Puddle Lights, Xenons, Headlamp Washers, Heated Washers, Auto lights and wipers, LED's, GTI brakes,, black R32 roof lining, Scirocco Rear View, Rear Footwell Lights

dansmith180

Re: Carbon look......
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 08:00:15 pm »
From the bits that I've seen dipped comes out with the best finish. I don't know how hardy it is on external pieces

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 08:40:24 pm »
That is my concerns ref. dipping. Would it last?

Wha is plasti dip also?
'VANDALISED' MK5 GT :( - RNS510 H, Bluetooth Armrest, MDI, 50gb hard drive, I can't park  sensors, Cruise Control, Highline Display, MFSW, Heated Seats, Remote Aux Heating System (Heats and Vents) Winter Pack, Heated & Folding Mirrors, Puddle Lights, Xenons, Headlamp Washers, Heated Washers, Auto lights and wipers, LED's, GTI brakes,, black R32 roof lining, Scirocco Rear View, Rear Footwell Lights

dansmith180

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 09:51:04 pm »
Plasti dip is a spray on rubbery coating. Its really easy to use and very helpful for bits like that but you can't get carbon effect just straight colours.

I imagine of you can get it lacquered then it should last.

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 10:53:12 pm »
Ive had a load of interior and exterior parts Hydro dipped, looks great IMO. All info, write up and links in my build thread.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 11:25:42 am by MC71 »

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 09:10:28 pm »
What's the cost of dipping like? Compared to wrapping?

Would you dip a bumper grill or wrap it?

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 09:30:21 pm »
Way more expensive then wrapping, it's a bit of a process so cost will reflect that. Whatever item your dipping will need painting, then dipping and then a lacquer applying. For those 3 bits in the pic was £160 a year ago, cheap as chips when compared to real C/F and looks the dogs dingles IMO.

There is a size limit but you'd need to contact a company who provide this service to find out what that is, it's limited to size of their specific tank.

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline howie1987

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 92
  • -Receive: 20
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 10:30:15 pm »
I know a guy that does that dipping on type r forums. He done a full dash for me laquerd etc for £70.  It is more but if you can find someone that can do it it can save a good bit.