Make a donation

Author Topic: Emptied my Catch Can Today……..  (Read 19855 times)

Offline Greeners

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
Re: Emptied my Catch Can Today……..
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2009, 09:39:50 pm »

Having now seen the glorious oil-custard deposited in the catch can I must say that I'm rather glad it doesn't get recycled anywhere!

Shame it wasn't in the can though RR!  :laugh: :wink:

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2009, 09:44:55 pm »

Having now seen the glorious oil-custard deposited in the catch can I must say that I'm rather glad it doesn't get recycled anywhere!

Shame it wasn't in the can though RR!  :laugh: :wink:

:grin:  :grin:
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2009, 09:47:08 pm »

Shame it wasn't in the can though RR!  :laugh: :wink:

....I needed a box of Kleenex!

I've got a 100-mile drive tomorrow so we'll see if I've finally closed it properly.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2009, 09:53:45 pm »

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2009, 09:57:48 pm »

^ "Page Not Found" unfortunately. Shame as yours are always witty :happy2:

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2009, 10:01:59 pm »

saved it to my photob acc.

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2009, 10:05:10 pm »
 :grin:

Thats kicking out some dung!  :laugh:

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2009, 10:06:01 pm »
:grin:

Thats kicking out some dung!  :laugh:

Greeners the 'Joke thief!'
 :booty: :angry015:

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2009, 11:30:26 pm »

FFS.

Its only like that when water gets mixed with it from condensation building in the catch can from the warm oil.

KRL is confused. He is quoting references for what happens when the oil gets vented to the inlet manifold.

With either fix the oil doesnt get through the inlet, obviously, which stops carbon deposits building. But with the stage 1 fix, the oil goes nowhere apart from back into the engine through the other outlet to the sump. At this stage it is still JUST oil.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 11:33:32 pm by Deako »

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2009, 11:35:37 pm »

FFS.

Its only like that when water gets mixed with it from condensation building in the catch can from the warm oil.

....Good to know :happy2: - We learn something new every day.

Offline KRL

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 29
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2009, 08:06:39 am »

FFS.

KRL is confused. He is quoting references for what happens when the oil gets vented to the inlet manifold.

With either fix the oil doesnt get through the inlet, obviously, which stops carbon deposits building. But with the stage 1 fix, the oil goes nowhere apart from back into the engine through the other outlet to the sump. At this stage it is still JUST oil.

I am not confused LOL.  With Stage 1 the oil does go back into the sump but still contains the vapors and gases from combustion.  The catch can removes this entirely. Simples.

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2009, 08:40:30 am »

FFS.

I am not confused LOL.  With Stage 1 the oil does go back into the sump but still contains the vapors and gases from combustion.  The catch can removes this entirely. Simples.

The vapours and gasses from combustion?

Offline CocoPops

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 11
    • Kennet Heath
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2009, 08:41:14 am »
^^^^
Gotcha! Cheers! :drinking:

No wonder - I've been running with it fully open. Very illogical design for doing things imo.

Actually..It's very logical...

if it is tightened against the can.... it will rattle undone and sit at the lowest point of it's thread.

If, however, it is "undone" fully to the bottom of it's thread... it's go nowhere to rattle undone to.

Make sense?
Used to Own: 2008 GTI Ed30 | ITG Intake | Miltek TBE System | Bluefin Stage 2 | 327bhp
On Order: 2017 Golf GTI Performance Pack 5dr DSG
Also own: 2016 Lotus Evora 400

Offline KRL

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2009, 09:04:13 am »

FFS.

The vapours and gasses from combustion?

Combustion requires a mixture of Air and Fuel.  If oil is leaking through the piston rings then so will a certain amount of vapors and gases from combustion.

Offline KRL

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2009, 09:05:23 am »
^^^^
Gotcha! Cheers! :drinking:

No wonder - I've been running with it fully open. Very illogical design for doing things imo.

Actually..It's very logical...

if it is tightened against the can.... it will rattle undone and sit at the lowest point of it's thread.

If, however, it is "undone" fully to the bottom of it's thread... it's go nowhere to rattle undone to.

Make sense?

I went by the "righty tighty" and "lefty loosey" rule  :grin: