Make a donation

Author Topic: Nurburgring  (Read 2606 times)

Offline Black9

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 19
    • Email
Nurburgring
« on: May 09, 2014, 06:55:21 am »
Made a last min choice to take my GTI over to Germany towards the end of May. Need some info regarding a few things...

My current Monza 2 wheels seem to have a slight wobble at high speed so plan to change them for the 17" Monzas or BBS CH/VZ and some sticky tyres (F1's, PS3?)

Belt was done around 60K, current milage is 95K, plan to get water pump and cambelt/tensioner replaced, brake fluid, engine coolant and transmission fluid

Also looking at getting a Short shift kit, any recommendations?

Brakes are stock but fairly fresh & should handle the ring fairly well or should I consider some more aggressive pads on the front?

Also considering getting an uprated rear ARB, car already has Eibach pro, WALK, uprated bushes etc.. Any other susp parts I should look at replacing such as drop links, balljoints etc? Car will need an Mot before I set off so tester should be able to pick up on anything that needs replaced!

The clutch and flywheel are stock Items and show no signs of slipping under boost, car is unmapped but considering going to R-Tech on way to ring for a cheeky map (heard great things about them) but still unsure about this as it could cause clutch issues?

Anything I've missed out? Any info appreciated

Also forgot to mention car has been dry stored for the past 8-10 wks. Any issues that this cld cause?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 07:02:29 am by Black9 »

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
Re: Nurburgring
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2014, 07:02:22 am »
Brakes brakes brakes!!

Especially on your first time, you are going to give them a hammering. Upgraded pads & fluid is probably the minimum. I went in an R32 in 2012 and we managed to get those brakes pretty hot even with updated pads they were vibrating  :scared:

If you are on a stock clutch I would hold off the remap, it would be a shame to ruin your trip with a slipping clutch.

All handling mods and geo setup will be worthwhile  :happy2:

Stay safe & don't lose respect for the ring  :drinking:
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline Black9

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2014, 07:05:18 am »
Good shout on the brakes, would uprated discs & calipers be sufficient or should I consider a BBK?

anorganix

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2014, 07:47:37 am »
Also looking at getting a Short shift kit, any recommendations?

I'd suggest Sigma 6 SS from Dieselgeek. Ordered mine, I can't wait to see how it performs.
I read that people are very satisfied with it and they had other SS kits previously installed on the car.

Clicky!

+1 for brakes.
Good pads + discs and some good lines should do for now IMHO, but you can never be to careful. :)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 07:56:32 am by anorganix »

Offline Beddie

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 76
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 08:42:11 am »
Good shout on the brakes, would uprated discs & calipers be sufficient or should I consider a BBK?

You'll be fine on OE fresh fluid and decent uprated pads..

Driven correctly the Ring really isn't that hard on brakes, smoothness and good lines is key and there are plenty of sections that will allow your brakes to recover between heavy stops  :happy2:

Tornado Red ED30 : Number 1644 - Gone

Carbon Grey Edition 35 - Here

Offline Shorty

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 09:37:16 am »
Like said, brakes are very important. Fresh fluid and a good set of pads, maybe some Carbone Lorraine RC5+'s or DS2500's.

Tyres too! I wouldn't be bothered about going mad, if it's your first time I'd imagine you won't be driving absolutely flat out, it's quite a daunting place first time round. Get a good alignment and just do the normal checks, PCV, DV etc.

A remap would be nice for some extra 'oomph but not important.

Oh and enjoy it, such an awesome place!
| Mk7 R |

Vehicle Diagnostics inc VCDS, Vehicle Remapping and any other diagnostics in the North West area, PM me.

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 09:42:47 am »

The diesel geek linkage looks great quality, seen it up close on the AKS Vrs, bit pricey though

anorganix

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 10:02:44 am »
The diesel geek linkage looks great quality, seen it up close on the AKS Vrs, bit pricey though

True about both aspects.
Regarding the price, I got lucky because a mate (who supplies parts) had several kits ordered and managed to get a good price per kit.

Offline Black9

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 04:09:46 pm »
Thanks for the replies and info. My main concern just now is sorting a new set of wheels, ideally 17" Monzas to keep car looking sleeper as poss, cheaper tyres and as nimble as possible too. As for brake fluid, what's the recommendations? Where's the cheapest place for uprated pads also? Currently speaking to a member regarding Porsche BBK but starting to think I maybe over kill for my first ring visit.

As for tht diesel geeks SS, looks like a nice Pc of kit. Guess it's shipped from the US? Any other UK alternatives to the DG SS?

Wish I done a ring trip with my old ED30, 310bhp, DSG, 5dr, B12s & so much more. Virtually ready for tht ring, could have made things so much easier  :sad1:

Offline greygti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 12
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2014, 10:53:11 pm »
Brakes brakes brakes!!

Especially on your first time, you are going to give them a hammering. Upgraded pads & fluid is probably the minimum. I went in an R32 in 2012 and we managed to get those brakes pretty hot even with updated pads they were vibrating  :scared:

If you are on a stock clutch I would hold off the remap, it would be a shame to ruin your trip with a slipping clutch.

All handling mods and geo setup will be worthwhile  :happy2:

Stay safe & don't lose respect for the ring  :drinking:

Sound advise this

Offline Jonathon555

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2014, 11:08:28 pm »
Thanks for the replies and info. My main concern just now is sorting a new set of wheels, ideally 17" Monzas to keep car looking sleeper as poss, cheaper tyres and as nimble as possible too. As for brake fluid, what's the recommendations? Where's the cheapest place for uprated pads also? Currently speaking to a member regarding Porsche BBK but starting to think I maybe over kill for my first ring visit.

As for tht diesel geeks SS, looks like a nice Pc of kit. Guess it's shipped from the US? Any other UK alternatives to the DG SS?

Wish I done a ring trip with my old ED30, 310bhp, DSG, 5dr, B12s & so much more. Virtually ready for tht ring, could have made things so much easier  :sad1:

Brakes are important on a first trip as you will over use them due to lack of experience

However i would advise have the correct insurance as a big priority ..... Or only do a track day

Read you uk policy in fine detail , if your not covered and it goes south on you even due to dropping fluid and someone gets hurt.

It could be losing your shirt time.

Thats my 2p worth.

My ring holidays are now ended due to no insurance.

Offline Wragg

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2014, 10:42:23 am »
If your going for big brakes I think you might have to reconsider the 17" option..

Offline Black9

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2014, 12:20:27 pm »
Doubt I'm going for BBK ATM, gonna run stock brakes with uprated fluid and aggressive pads. 17" Monzas would be ideal as they look totally OEM and cheap for tyres. Wouldn't mind some BBS VZ as thy fill the arches so much better than peacaras... TD 1.2 would be good but hard to find a pair ATM

Offline Black9

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2014, 12:20:56 pm »
Has anyone used the forge or neuspeed SSS kit?

Offline gobbleplease

• Thank You
  • -Given: 64
  • -Receive: 48
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2014, 12:28:25 am »
The car is a good fun drive even as standard to be fair, the worst thing about it is the brakes and would deffo be the first thing I'd do to it.
MK5 EDITION 30 - CW - REVO S2+ - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

MK7 GTI - ARRIVING DECEMBER

MK2 GTI - RB - 1.8T - GARAGE QUEEN