Make a donation

Author Topic: Tyre Pressure Monitor  (Read 3205 times)

Offline galaxie500

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 37
  • -Receive: 13
  • 56 plate 5 door in Black Pearl Metallic
Re: Tyre Pressure Monitor
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2014, 12:40:08 pm »
Had no idea there was a DIY wireless system. I may have to look into it...!
Does anybody remember many years ago when BMW ran its April Fool advertisement presenting an in-car tyre pressure monitoring system and we all laughed at such an impossibly silly idea?!  Not so silly now eh?

Offline homesqueeze

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 42
  • Got another Golf!
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2014, 03:55:10 pm »
Have to say my OEM monitor has worked well for me in the past. It has alerted me to slow punctures before the pressure has dropped too much. Obviously you have to reset it whenever you top up tyre pressures to keep it accurate though.
Seem to remember something in the handbook about about it needing to be replaced after 6 years though. I wonder if anyone has done this, I know I haven't!
'16 MK7 Golf 1.4TSI Match Edition

Offline Viking

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2014, 04:16:08 pm »
Have to say my OEM monitor has worked well for me in the past. It has alerted me to slow punctures before the pressure has dropped too much. Obviously you have to reset it whenever you top up tyre pressures to keep it accurate though.
Seem to remember something in the handbook about about it needing to be replaced after 6 years though. I wonder if anyone has done this, I know I haven't!
Not sure how you can replace it, as it's essentially the ABS system monitoring wheel rotational speed and calculating against steering angle sensor and the other wheels. A deflating tyre rotates faster than an inflated tyre, so the system sees one wheel traveling faster than the others and reports a puncture.
Sarcasm for free. Anything after that can only be considered as a bonus.

Just because you think you know something, doesn't make you an expert if you've just read it on the internet, y'know.

Offline homesqueeze

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • Got another Golf!
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2014, 08:02:44 pm »
Not sure how you can replace it, as it's essentially the ABS system monitoring wheel rotational speed and calculating against steering angle sensor and the other wheels. A deflating tyre rotates faster than an inflated tyre, so the system sees one wheel traveling faster than the others and reports a puncture.

Yeah I know, I thought it was strange. I checked the manual though and in the service section it defo says it needs replacing after 6 years.

Offline Viking

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2014, 12:31:03 am »
Are you sure it isn't talking about the puncture repair bottle of snot? That needs replacing after a certain number of years.

Just because you think you know something, doesn't make you an expert if you've just read it on the internet, y'know.

Offline homesqueeze

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • Got another Golf!
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2014, 03:35:16 pm »
Are you sure it isn't talking about the puncture repair bottle of snot? That needs replacing after a certain number of years.

No it's not that stuff. Here's a piccy:

Offline Viking

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2014, 03:38:19 pm »
That reads like a different system. There are no tyre pressure sensors on mine, it's just a monitoring system rather than a pressure sensing system. Perhaps they have a 4 wheel valve pressure system on some higher spec cars?

Offline homesqueeze

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • Got another Golf!
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2014, 03:45:12 pm »
Yarp, maybe that's it then.

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2014, 11:58:35 am »
Surely if your Golf has a button alongside the ESP row of buttons in front of the gearstick, then your car has tyre pressure sensors?

Volkswagen do revise their build specs every June/July. So not all GTI's have exactly the same detail spec.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Viking

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2014, 12:37:55 pm »
Surely if your Golf has a button alongside the ESP row of buttons in front of the gearstick, then your car has tyre pressure sensors?

No they don't have pressure sensors. The system works on rotational speed of the wheels which is monitored by the ABS system.

Offline DDM

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2014, 01:03:51 pm »
i got it retro fitted my eddie on ours and it works spot on, had a puncture on the front drivers tyre and it picked it up when the pressure had dropped to 22psi.

Offline Shaw

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2014, 03:48:08 pm »
My pressure warning system is crazy picky. Will light up if a tyre drops 7-8psi. More so on the front wheels.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
'07 Mk5 GTI Manual

Offline ILoveTuna

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2014, 05:21:41 pm »
I spotted a tyre pressure option in vcds somewhere. Mine was unchecked?

I have the ABS system so I think this option must be if pressure sensors are fitted?

Offline Viking

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2014, 06:44:59 pm »
No, you need the button to reset the system, wiring to suit, and then coding via VCDS.

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2014, 11:04:43 am »

No, you need the button to reset the system, wiring to suit, and then coding via VCDS.

....If the rest of the system is present isn't the coding activated by default from the VW factory?

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!