Make a donation

Author Topic: newbie after some information on lowering :smiley:  (Read 824 times)

crouchiesgolfturbo

newbie after some information on lowering :smiley:
« on: April 28, 2014, 09:34:30 pm »
hi, i have just bought a mk5 golf gti and i think im in the right place for information  :happy2: i have been searching the forum for coilover help and what other things i will need to do to stop things catching etc. every1 seems to say different things so i thought it would be best to just ask on my own post. i had a mk4 golf before this and i know shorter droplinks and engine raisers were needed. i have read that maybe i will need subframe raisers and possibly shorter droplinks? and also i am after some fairly decent ride coilovers that arent silly prices so i am assuming joms would be the best ones? i will eventually be putting some 18" 0.06 3sdms that are going to be 8.5 wide hopefully

thanks for your help and sorry for yet another post on colivers and lowering

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
Re: newbie after some information on lowering :smiley:
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 09:42:47 pm »
I've got mates with GTI's slammed on coilovers (wheels in arches) and have done nothing more than removed the screw from the top of the wheel arch and tucked the arch lining behind the metal lip.

No real need for shorter drop links with these or subframe or engine raisers.

How low do you want to go?

AP coilovers give the best ride and a decent drop. FK coilovers are cheaper but the ride is a bit bouncier.

There you go   :happy2:
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline xjay1337

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2014, 11:32:46 pm »
It very much depends on wheels, how low you are, tyre sizes etc.

I've never had a need for shortened drop links when running coilovers.
There are lots out there and they are all much of a muchness to be honest. Honestly there is little difference in ride quality between the majority of coilovers and certainly not the price difference.
Compare JOMs to APs they look identical in design, the AP is slightly firmer but has better compression and rebound settings so the car doesn't bounce around over undulating dips

If you just want to go low buy JOMs or FKs.. if you want to improve your handling look at some Apex RDXs or APs or something like that.

crouchiesgolfturbo

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 11:15:44 am »
I wanna go low but not silly low. Just enough to get a nice stance, will probably spacing the rears out a bit and then lower it down to a decent stance. So I will probably go for a set of joms I think. I have read mixed reviews on all coilovers so I think it's each to there own. Will be ordering them this week at some point. Will start up a members ride thread when I get going. Did buy this car to be sensible as I had a mk4 golf before on air ride and wanted to go sensible now but I'm slowly getting the bug again now I have joined this forum :)
Thanks again

Offline tommy2478

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
  • Instagram Tom_gti5
    • Photobucket Feed
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 08:15:29 pm »
Hi there just wondering if you got your Jom coils fitted in the end on std drop links ? I am also new on coils but i put a cheap pair of adjustable drop links on and im sure they are the cause of my knocking when driving very slowly over cobbled road... just wondered how low you could go on std drop links and if so i will get some new std ones fitted asap or put my old ones back in ?
07 Mk5 Gti, Rear De-Wiper, Euro Fogs, Heko Wind deflectors, Pro Coils, GFB DV+