Make a donation

Author Topic: Air ride is it worth it  (Read 8688 times)

Offline CarlW

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 23
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,92229.msg927100.html#msg927100
Re: Air ride is it worth it
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2014, 02:26:01 am »
I'm not for or against against air / coilovers at the moment as i haven't experienced either but this video might help you in your decisions as i found it quite interesting after reading so many reviews for / against air over coilovers vice versa..

Offline arris

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2014, 07:46:15 am »
Pretty much all my views been said.

I love my air, and can't imagine going back to coils now. Although at times I'd love to run a set of still static coils as they go mega low. But with numerous speed bumps on my street it just isn't practicable.

Only you can say if it's worth it or not. If you have the money and can afford it give it a go.

I also get sick of people saying it doesn't handle, you can't go fast.

I give my car as much grief as I did with it on AP coils and feel no difference.

Offline Boydie

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2014, 08:37:07 am »
Personally not a massive fan of air ride - sometimes I think it is done to death and also if you are entering competitions these days you have no chance of winning unless you have airride

However, on the right car, right height, right wheels, the car can look awesome

Offline xjay1337

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2014, 09:21:42 am »
Personally not a massive fan of air ride - sometimes I think it is done to death and also if you are entering competitions these days you have no chance of winning unless you have airride

However, on the right car, right height, right wheels, the car can look awesome

Winner of Mk5s at Westside show 2013 was a static car.

Offline Dave7692

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2014, 10:30:57 am »
Only problem with this sort of thing is if you're having to try to justify it to yourself then maybe it isn't for you.  Personally I don't go for that look but I can understand why some do and usually the cars that have those setups look superb.

Its a lot of money but if you want to maybe start trying to get into shows then I think its a good idea, you just have to ask yourself whether or not you personally will get enough out of it to justify your investment.  I have mates who constantly talk about how much I spend on my car and they simply laugh in disbelief when I total up how much its cost me as they just don't see the value/return in it but for me its as much a hobby/passtime as it is a method of transportation.

However if thats the look you want and you want to get into showing your car then it would be worth it, although you need to prepare for the fact that the costs wont stop at the airride, you need to make sure the pain and interior are spot on, the engine bay etc are all immaculate and that doesn't come without its costs either.

I also don't see why people are suggesting coilovers because you'll never match the look/versatility of an air ride. 

Like I said though its only you who can decide if its worth it, weigh up the cost against what YOU will get out of it.

Offline Pikey Motorsports

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2014, 11:35:20 am »
Each to there own im not sure how people actually think it looks good imo.. Plus it can weight a ton and will never handle as well as a good set of coilovers

Everyone has there own taste in modding

Show car = air ride

Performance = coilovers
TSR PERFORMANCE GTX30 520BHP
LITCHFIELD R35 GT-R 660BHP
MSL E63 AMG 720BHP
HCP BM3 M5 800BHP

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2014, 11:59:00 am »
Each to there own im not sure how people actually think it looks good imo.. Plus it can weight a ton and will never handle as well as a good set of coilovers

Show car = air ride

Performance = coilovers

That is just not how it is though and what really pisses me off.
What experience have you had with air ride.  how can you possibly justify that sweeping statement.

i have owned two mk5s one with air ride and no front roll bar and one with coilovers and decent roll bars and the air handles better in every way and is also far more comfortable.

• Thank You
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2014, 12:06:37 pm »

Show car = air ride

Performance = coilovers

That is just not how it is though and what really pisses me off.
What experience have you had with air ride.  how can you possibly justify that sweeping statement.

i have owned two mk5s one with air ride and no front roll bar and one with coilovers and decent roll bars and the air handles better in every way and is also far more comfortable.

No need to get really pissed off

For track enthusiasts its not ideal.. You wont see a proper track car/fast road car with airride it wont compare to a proper set of coilovers with linear springs and its heavy.. For the average car then yeah it would probaly do the job on the road

Everyone has there own taste in modding round here airride is usually sat in mcdonalds car park on the sump
MSL E63 AMG 720BHP
HCP BM3 M5 800BHP

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2014, 12:16:26 pm »
Air ride is slightly heavier OVERALL but you will not notice the extra weight. You're talking maybe 10-15k max extra weight over the rear axle - Not noticeable.

The suspension units are actually lighter. In the case of the mustang on the speedhunters link below the air struts are 7.5 lbs each lighter.

The management and compressors and tanks are what increase the weight along with the braided air lines. But it's a pointless discussion because as mentioned you won't notice.

air is linear as well they are fixed rate springs, obviously spring rate will change slightly at different heights but this is true of any coilover suspension unit as well.

people like you assume air ride handles like crap when you have no experience of it.

http://www.speedhunters.com/2013/11/double-rtr-get-air-lift/

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=cp3g8j1modvshr66r4g834aard&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2014, 12:19:00 pm »
Jay... that video is null and void.... its posted by "Air Lift Company"

They are not gonna show it in bad light are they?

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2014, 12:24:32 pm »
Got any other links?

• Thank You
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2014, 12:29:07 pm »
20+ kg or more is alot to add to a track car where you want to save weight! As i said ok for a for average road car.. Theres a reason its not used on race cars.. Anyone after every second on the track will laugh if you told them air ride will handle better then there track setup coilovers.. But as said im sure its fine for road and the odd roundabout
MSL E63 AMG 720BHP
HCP BM3 M5 800BHP

Offline Karl_mac_

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2014, 12:34:56 pm »
One thing I will say, coilovers are definately, 100%!more relieable. You'll never burst a bag, or have a sticky valve, or flatten your battery, or have an air leak woth coilovers. Any garage can work on them too.

I know a few trackday organisers that forbid air cars to go track.

Theres also the fact that the actual bag itself is perishable, so will need regular checks and potential replacement.

I think the air ride look is good, and I'd love to have them fitted to mine as the roads round here are toilet, but in my opinion the cost to value ratio isn't there yet. They need to be sub £1500 to be worth it. £3k gets you some nice coils and a BBK, a car on air wont know which way you went.

Not sure how removing the ARB improves the handlng either, someone needs to pass that onto the oem's so they can save some money!
VW Golf GTi DSG2.0 TFSI : DSG : BBS LM : Blueflame exhaust : Pipercross Venom Induction : Eibach Springs
VW Lupo1.4l : Automatic : White : Stickers.

Offline George10

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 18
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2014, 02:11:55 pm »
Air ride is definitely worth it and is now being proven to handle better than coilovers. I'm sure people are going to disagrees but there's been test run.

Running air isn't cheap though. Full accuair kits come to just under 3 grand. It's personably preference but it's so much more comfortable than coilovers

Offline arris

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2014, 02:25:02 pm »
I'm sure there's now even drift cars running airlift kits.

Saying coilovers will handle better only high end ones. Actual race coilovers maybe not what most people have even on there 'track cars'

Also saying bags are perishable items. Because nobody's coilover seals have ever gone....