Make a donation

Author Topic: Bilstein B12's  (Read 3386 times)

Offline bluo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 6
Bilstein B12's
« on: May 15, 2014, 05:31:30 pm »
Hi all,

Recently had the Bilstein B12 kit installed on my 06 Mk5 GTi.

Fantastic ride, little firmer than stock but still really comfortable.

At the same time I had the front top mounts replaced.

The car is sitting lower on the rear than in the front which is bugging me. It is exactly 10mm lower in the rear with no load in the boot except spare wheel.

The kit is made up of Eibach Sportlines and Bilstein B8 dampers...

Is this normal?
Is there anything I can do to drop the front lower or raise the rear slightly?

I have had the tracking done front and rear and I've done around 300miles already.

Thanks for helping out.

Offline bluo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
Bilstein B12's
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2014, 09:31:10 pm »
Fronts sit at 345mm
Rears sit at 335mm

Measurement taken from centre of wheel to wheel arch if that helps...

Offline ideaboy

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Re: Bilstein B12's
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2014, 11:47:46 pm »
I thinks there's another member who complained about the reverse rake recently, that's why I've decided to go for the b14 as soon as I can afford it

Offline Beddie

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 76
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 12:33:49 am »
I thinks there's another member who complained about the reverse rake recently, that's why I've decided to go for the b14 as soon as I can afford it

TT rear spring pads are a quick and cheap way of sorting out reverse rake on the mk5/6 platform if needed  :happy2:

Tornado Red ED30 : Number 1644 - Gone

Carbon Grey Edition 35 - Here

Offline bluo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 08:08:10 am »

TT rear spring pads are a quick and cheap way of sorting out reverse rake on the mk5/6 platform if needed  :happy2:

I assume this will raise the rear up slightly, any idea how much?

Any particular year or model TT parts I ask for when buying from main dealer or euro?

Offline bluo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 08:09:52 am »

I've searched this and can't find anything, can you point me to the post / topic and can you remember what his solution was to rectify this if any?

Offline Beddie

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 08:21:42 am »

Any particular year or model TT parts I ask for when buying from main dealer or euro?

Yeah it will raise the rear slightly, mk2 TT spring pads are twice the thickness of the golf (gti) version apparently  :happy2:

Part number iirc is 8J0 512 149

Offline bluo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2014, 08:57:36 am »

Yeah it will raise the rear slightly, mk2 TT spring pads are twice the thickness of the golf (gti) version apparently  :happy2:

This sounds like the solution... Thanks for the advice appreciate it!

Any idea if it will raise it more than 10mm... I don't want it more than that really?

Offline Beddie

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2014, 09:02:40 am »

This sounds like the solution... Thanks for the advice appreciate it!

Any idea if it will raise it more than 10mm... I don't want it more than that really?

I'm pretty sure the TT pads are 7.5mm thicker than the Golf ones, they are also made of a slightly harder material so I'd say it should raise the rear at least the 7.5mm and maybe a couple if mm more due to less give in the material?

Offline bluo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
Bilstein B12's
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2014, 02:32:14 pm »
Thanks for the responses guys!

I've got the car booked in again next week, having the rear spring top hat and seat pad replaced.

Eibach also recommends having the bolts tensioned only when all the weight is on the wheels, not while up in the air which can cause the car to pull downward.

Let's see what happens!

Offline bluo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2014, 05:28:56 pm »
Update...

I've been back twice, first time took the rear apart to replace the top and bottom rubber pads, old parts were no worse than new so decided to wait and get the TT pads.

Back today to install the TT top pads, height is up on both sides but now the drivers side rear is lower by almost 10mm.

I probably wouldn't have noticed but since this was really evident from the beginning my eye is now drawn to it!!!!

Any suggestions guys? Will adjusting the camber again on the rear make any difference?

At a loss now short of sending the springs back to Eibach to test (at my cost)!

Offline Beddie

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2014, 07:41:16 pm »
Update...

I've been back twice, first time took the rear apart to replace the top and bottom rubber pads, old parts were no worse than new so decided to wait and get the TT pads.

Back today to install the TT top pads, height is up on both sides but now the drivers side rear is lower by almost 10mm.

I probably wouldn't have noticed but since this was really evident from the beginning my eye is now drawn to it!!!!

Any suggestions guys? Will adjusting the camber again on the rear make any difference?

At a loss now short of sending the springs back to Eibach to test (at my cost)!

The Mk5 is very sensitive to being on a true level ground for measuring ride height I've found, my driveway appears level but always made the rear passenger side appear higher than the drivers side, parked elsewhere it was near as damn it the same level both sides..
Also keep in mind that any fuel load will make the drivers rear lower than the passenger side  :smiley:

Offline bluo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2014, 09:16:16 pm »
It's so obviously lower on the driver side (to me now!)... When we checked it it was done on a level concrete floor... So tempted to put in coilovers on the rear so I can sort this out!

I'll go get the camber done tomorrow and see what happens if anything, maybe 5mm will be added to that lower side (fingers crossed).

Offline Beddie

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2014, 09:24:18 pm »
It's quite a common issue tbh mate, both my mk5s were slightly uneven when lowered, loads of posts over on golfmk5 and vortex etc detailing the same problem.. I'd see how the springs settle over time perhaps?
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=37878.0

Offline bluo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2014, 12:02:04 pm »
It's quite a common issue tbh mate, both my mk5s were slightly uneven when lowered, loads of posts over on golfmk5 and vortex etc detailing the same problem.. I'd see how the springs settle over time perhaps?
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=37878.0

Yeah I've read loads of these posts the last few days...

Had camber done and no difference. Found a set if rear Eibach pro street s coilover springs on eBay. Going to fit these with the Bilstein b8's already in the car... That way I can play with the height in the rear and line it through with the fronts.

What do you think?