Make a donation

Author Topic: Dampers...  (Read 909 times)

Offline Jooles

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Dampers...
« on: May 17, 2014, 09:22:15 am »
Hello!

I hear you say : "here's the new guy, it's he secod topic, and he opens one more discussion about suspensions as his first post".

Well, yeah, sorry...

I made lots of searching on the topic, and my needs are pretty specific so I didn't find any reply to my questions, so here I go.

Roads here are crap. I mean real crap : the highways shake you to the bones, there are potholes the size of small pools on B-roads... I spite of this, the Golf and I survived with only one bent Pescara (the Golf, not me). And in spite of this, I like to drive my car as it should on the small patches of nice roads we have, (and sometimes on the crappy ones also).

So I need struts (I don,t want coilovers, as I want to keep my car high to keep the roll-center ok, and to have enough clearance) that are comfortable, though control the car as it should. I've seen lots of advices on the usual suspects, but nothing compared to stock struts.

I'd love to get Ohlins struts, I think I may find some on some obscure website, but I really need to be sure it's the best stuff money can buy for me as it's pretty expensive. Koni sounds good, but not very reliable (so not ok, as I need super strong stuff here), and Bilsteins remain, but I understood those are rock solid for the mk5. Mk6 stuff is more compliant, did anyone here test them and can make a comparison towards orginal struts, or even better against Ohlins stuff?

Thanks a lot for your anwers.

Julien

Offline greygti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 12
    • Email
Re: Dampers...
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 09:57:13 am »
I have the bilstein B12 sportline kit on my mkv gti it's been fitted 2 years and I don't find it rock hard at all , it's a very good cost effective upgrade from standard dampers and springs

Offline Jooles

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 09:24:45 am »
Hi,

correct me if I'm wrong, but those are B8s with some Eibach springs, aren't they? Are those the ones for the mk5, or the mk6? I read, the mk6 ones are softer...

Thanks for you reply!

Julien

Offline Beddie

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 76
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 09:36:22 am »
Mk6 B8 dampers are valved 20% softer than the mk5 version, I've tried both versions and would only consider the mk6 ones as they are imo a much better damper for a daily driver on rough roads  :smiley:

Tornado Red ED30 : Number 1644 - Gone

Carbon Grey Edition 35 - Here

Offline betty_swollox

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 29
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 09:42:30 am »
There's some in the for sale section mate!!
2010 Leon CUPRA
BCS Powervalve Exhaust
Revo Ceramic Intake
APR Stage 2

Offline Jooles

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 04:36:09 pm »
Thanks Beddie, this confirms what  I read / thought. I'm just a little afraid of putting "softer" dampers, as the Bilstein B4s I have on mi Saab are made of Shamallow and are awful to drive.

Thanks also Betty, but I'm not in the UK, and I think I would better of buying some new dampers where I am.

Anyone tried Ohlins and Bilsteins B6/B8/B12?

Julien