Make a donation

Author Topic: GT TDI 170 judder and slight hesitation from cold - now tapping engine noise  (Read 7325 times)

Offline Degudodger

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 86
    • Flickr
Over the last couple of weeks I have noticed a judder from cold at slow speed which goes away with gentle acceleration. There is also sometimes what feels like a slight hesitation when changing up from 2nd to 3rd again from cold but this could be my driving than anything to do with the car.

Once warm these tend to disappear and any issues are due to driving error than mechanical

While from a cost perspective and as the car only has 75k miles on the clock I really don’t want it to be DMF related but some searching on the forums would lead me to believe the DMF is at fault and I am about to be taken dryly from behind.  

A quick call to Peter Cooper – Shirley and some after negotiating they have quoted £1,000 to replace the clutch and DMF including a hire car which seems fair especially as other places I have contacted seem to want anywhere up to £1400.

Before I take this further and book the car in I want to satisfy myself it is DMF related – any thoughts  :smiley:
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 05:57:35 pm by Degudodger »
2016 Mk7 Golf GTD - Reflex Silver with stuff.

VCDS Hex+Can - Will code for beer!

Offline marko

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
Re: GT TDI 170 judder and slight hesitation from cold - DMF related?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 12:12:45 pm »
Didyou try getting the asv and egr cleaned out...
Mine can be like that sometimes
2007 TR gt170...heated leather,underseat drawers,auto-levelling bi-xenons,puddle leds,chrome switches,footwell lights f+r,cruise control and ed30 rear lamps,LED interior....carbon highline clocks,ed30 front spoiler,RNS 510 P+MDI,mk6 gti gearknob,TPMS done,complete r32 trim kit+ MFSW,r32 f+r brakes,RLS fitted.headlamp washers,folding mirrors and boot pop,mk6 RVC,19"Helios,AP coilies,valeo LEDs  ...dpf delete and remap to finish off

Offline Degudodger

• Thank You
    • Flickr
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 12:17:50 pm »
That is a valid point. Not cleaned the EGR and ASV on this GT TDI 170 but i did on my previous Golf and it was an absolute mess.

Guess i better break out the carb cleaner this evening  :smiley:

Offline marko

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 12:23:02 pm »
At least rule them out.i did mine bout 2 weeks ago and they were seriously caked in carbon and sludge...took me few hours but a definate improvement
2007 TR gt170...heated leather,underseat drawers,auto-levelling bi-xenons,puddle leds,chrome switches,footwell lights f+r,cruise control and ed30 rear lamps,LED interior....carbon highline clocks,ed30 front spoiler,RNS 510 P+MDI,mk6 gti gearknob,TPMS done,complete r32 trim kit+ MFSW,r32 f+r brakes,RLS fitted.headlamp washers,folding mirrors and boot pop,mk6 RVC,19"Helios,AP coilies,valeo LEDs  ...dpf delete and remap to finish off

Offline Degudodger

• Thank You
    • Flickr
Update.

Cleaned the EGR and ASV, i was surprised how little crap there was. Put everything back but no difference. I had to grab a couple of filters so stopped in at my local Skoda garage, got talking to the parts guy about the DNF and he suggested one of the spanner monkeys have a look at it. Long story short, they are confident the problem isn't a failing DMF which is great news.

One thing i have noticed is the Golf has started to intermittently sound more agricultural between 1500-2500RPM, the best way to describe it is like tapping "dry gears" so did a quick scan today and found a couple of faults

2 Faults Found:
009299 - Diesel Particle Filter; Differential Pressure Sensor
               P2453 - 006 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 00000001
                    Fault Priority: 1
                    Fault Frequency: 3
                    Reset counter: 33
                    Mileage: 122297 km
                    Time Indication: 0
                    Date: 2000.00.00
                    Time: 08:40:25

Freeze Frame:
                    RPM: 0 /min
                    Torque: 136.0 Nm
                    Speed: 0.0 km/h
                    Pressure: 0.0 mbar
                    Text:      -42    mbar       
                    Text:  124    C               
                    Temperature: 15.0∞C

001137 - Exhaust Pressure Sensor 1 (G450)
               P0471 - 006 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 00000001
                    Fault Priority: 1
                    Fault Frequency: 1
                    Reset counter: 40
                    Mileage: 122566 km
                    Time Indication: 0
                    Date: 2000.00.00
                    Time: 14:20:37

Freeze Frame:
                    RPM: 0 /min
                    Torque: 136.0 Nm
                    Speed: 0.0 km/h
                    Pressure: 63.9 mbar
                    Text:      -42    mbar       
                    Text:  236    C               
                    Temperature: 15.0∞C

No lights on the dash, last serviced 2k miles ago and the oil level is 3/4 up the marker and no performance issues - in fact my MPG is getting better!

Although i cover 90-100 miles a day above most of which is motorway driving at 70mph (ish) i think the first error code is linked to the exhaust pressure sensor error and the DPF should be fine, HOWEVER i might carry out a forced regen just be be sure.

So what could be causing the sound from the engine:

Worn Cam lobs?
Cam lifter?

Offline Pukeylukey

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Mine gets noisier around 1k to 2k when the dpf is regenerating
2006 GT TDI 170

Mk5 GTI DSG 05 sold
Mk5 GT TDI 140 04 sold

Offline Matto

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 116
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,37071.0.html
I have had a faulty pressure sensor on mine. If its never been changed before it will have been superseded with a newer one.  

I was also getting a juddering which disappeared once the EGR and DPF had been deleted.

Offline Degudodger

• Thank You
    • Flickr
With the recent changes to the MOT regs I'm still unsure if it is worth getting the DPF hollowed out.

My main concern is the engine noise :(

Offline MSD

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • Golf GT TDI
    • Email
Had a similar problem on mine, clogged up EGR was my fault  :sick:

Offline paulw123

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 47
How do you force a regen?
How do you know it is doing a regen?
GT TDI sport 140 08plate,RCD510 DAB, leather armrest, euro cup holder

Offline marko

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
You need vcds to force a regeneration,if no vcds ,you have to just wait for the ecu to perform the regen!!!
I have to force regen every week now due to only travelling 6 miles a day,so in a week the dpf light always comes on.going to remove dpf during the summer and get a custom map

Offline paulw123

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
oh right.
does the DPF dash light, only light up when there is a problem, or does it light up quickly when the ignition is first switched on?  as I haven't seen the dash light on mine
basically how do you know if car has DPF or not...without using vcds etc....

Offline marko

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
The light will stay on if the car has failed to regen...if yours is a 170,I'm pretty sur it has a dpf.

Offline paulw123

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
mines an 08 140, which I know shouldn't have a DPF, but the dealer advertised it that it had, so I assumed as it was a company car from new they ordered it as an option. Did all late 08 140's have them?
anyway there is never any black smoke out the back, had a 110 mk4 gt tdi before and that could really smoke.
I don't remember seeing any DPF light on the Mk5 dash.......

Offline marko

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
Pretty sure it was an option on the 140 during certain years