Make a donation

Author Topic: Insurance debacle!!!!  (Read 1247 times)

Offline Jussa

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 12
  • Bicester
    • Email
Insurance debacle!!!!
« on: May 19, 2014, 04:30:25 pm »
Anybody here that knows their stuff???

I have 2 insurance companies vying for my business, and each one is calling the other a liar!!!!

Maybe somebody can confirm who is the liar???

I am the main driver (and policy holder) on 3 cars - my wife is a named driver on 2 of the cars - but not my S3 which I'm trying to insure.
My wife in the last year had a fault claim on one of the cars and a non fault claim on the other.
One insurance company is saying that I have to declare both of those incidents because they're my policies - even though I wasn't even in the car at the time and even though it has nothing to do with my policy renewal on my S3.
The other company says I didn't need to mention them, and what may happen is when the insurance companies compared notes they'd pick up my name against a claim not mentioned and send me out a letter asking if I was driving - that's all!!
On top of that the first company wants to up my quote by £180 a year because of these 2 claims that I wasn't involved in - but the 2nd company have stated that it won't affect their original quote, and if it makes me happy they will send a covering letter stating they're aware of these 2 incidents as well.

Your thoughts??    :confused:
2010 3dr phantom black S-Tronic S3 - BCS TBE with 3½" DP - LOBA LO4xx turbo - LOBA HPFP - Revo CAI - H&R 25mm lowering springs - Forge 11mm spacers - RS4 fuel Pressure valve - THS intercooler - H&R front and rear ARB's - AEM water methanol injection

Offline ConeKiller

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 5
Re: Insurance debacle!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 04:39:10 pm »
Each insurance company is different and it depends on the wording of the question.

Have you been involved in an accident in the last 3 years? No

Have you made a claim in the last 3 years? Technically yes however you were not the driver.

Has a claim been made on any policy you are named on? Yes but I doubt they would ask that.

The insurers I work for ask for accidents you have been involved in and claims you have made, but if they were accidents when your mrs was driving then they wouldn't need to be disclosed.

Always best to go by what each individual insurer asks and say, they are both probably right in their own way!

Offline Jussa

• Thank You
  • Bicester
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 04:43:12 pm »
Yes, but the difference here is these were not online questions, I actually spoke to each company twice and each one was still adamant the other was talking $hit?????  :scared:
2010 3dr phantom black S-Tronic S3 - BCS TBE with 3½" DP - LOBA LO4xx turbo - LOBA HPFP - Revo CAI - H&R 25mm lowering springs - Forge 11mm spacers - RS4 fuel Pressure valve - THS intercooler - H&R front and rear ARB's - AEM water methanol injection

Offline berg

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 04:47:18 pm »
As come killer says the express words in the specific question are important. but short answer is that accidents your wife was involved in should not affect YOUR premium
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline Viking

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 04:53:45 pm »
The usual question asked when applying for cover will be along the lines of "Have you or any named drive been ..." etc. but at the end of the day there'll be a disclaimer somewhere stating that you should inform your insurers of anything which may affect your policy, and failure to do so will affect any claim or cover. If it's relevant (and it certainly sounds like itcould be) then you should make sure they know about it.

It shouldn't affect your premium on a vehicle which is solely yourself to drive, but it should be disclosed at the time of taking out insurance.

Sarcasm for free. Anything after that can only be considered as a bonus.

Just because you think you know something, doesn't make you an expert if you've just read it on the internet, y'know.

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 05:07:15 pm »
As come killer says the express words in the specific question are important. but short answer is that accidents your wife was involved in should not affect YOUR premium

Unless she is named on his insurance or he was named on hers , Claims/accidents are cross referred so even if my wife driving her car on her insurance has an accident and i am named on her insurance there will be a record against my name on the Insurance Database .
This has been used many times successfully to not pay a claim  if it was not disclosed at the time that a policy was taken out , it may not have effected the premium but was an "underwriting" unknown and the premium could not have been accurately calculated when only part of the information was known by the insurer  :innocent:
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 05:10:20 pm »

I have 2 insurance companies vying for my business, and each one is calling the other a liar!!!!

I am the main driver (and policy holder) on 3 cars - my wife is a named driver on 2 of the cars - but not my S3 which I'm trying to insure.
My wife in the last year had a fault claim on one of the cars and a non fault claim on the other.
One insurance company is saying that I have to declare both of those incidents because they're my policies - even though I wasn't even in the car at the time and even though it has nothing to do with my policy renewal on my S3.
The other company says I didn't need to mention them, and what may happen is when the insurance companies compared notes they'd pick up my name against a claim not mentioned and send me out a letter asking if I was driving - that's all!!
On top of that the first company wants to up my quote by £180 a year because of these 2 claims that I wasn't involved in - but the 2nd company have stated that it won't affect their original quote, and if it makes me happy they will send a covering letter stating they're aware of these 2 incidents as well.

Tell the one that wants more money to stick it - My sons the lad who's got your old GTI and KeenDeans H*06GYD  :smiley:
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline Jussa

• Thank You
  • Bicester
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 06:08:37 pm »

Tell the one that wants more money to stick it - My sons the lad who's got your old GTI and KeenDeans H*06GYD  :smiley:

:signLOL: thanks mate - hope he's enjoying the motor , that beauty was fully loaded!!!!

I will be going along with the company that doesn't want to amend my quote because of my wife's accidents  :happy2:

Offline Jakesangel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2014, 10:20:00 am »
Hello mate, having worked in the industry for over 20 years the only advice I would give you is to make sure you have disclosed all material facts to your new insurance company as failure to disclose the accidents COULD result in your policy being voided in the event of a claim, or having increased terms imposed. Although you personally have not been involved in the accidents mentioned, they did occur under a policy in your name.

If and when you are ever in the unfortunate position of having to make a claim against your own insurers the last thing you need is grief from them over non disclosure of previous accidents on policies in your name, albeit you were not the driver. Some insurers work on a "frequency of claims" basis as part of their rating structure, others may take into account you were not the driver and proceed accordingly, but to be 100% sure you are fully covered I would always air on the side of caution and make sure you have told the insurance company all the facts relating to the previous driving history under all of your polices. Just my 2 pence worth mate, but hope it helps.  :happy2: