Make a donation

Author Topic: Hello all. Need help with my RNS510 firmware selection.  (Read 4587 times)

Offline ad_182_uk

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
Hello all,

I recently updated my RNS510 so i could get 7-digit postcodes, i used fw2760...

Everything is fine but i wondered if i could actually get newer firmware than that? I also want to avoid battery drain (as car is 06 and im unsure if gateway has been changed) and add speed cam locations. Will that be possible with the following RNS510 info:

Delivery part num. 1T0035680C
HW-Version H03
SW-Version 2760
Sv sw-version c_eu_9.242_t520
Hw vehicle 0xc201
Sw vehicle 0x442a3404
Bootloader vehicle 0x442a0401
Hw main 00010002000201...
Sw main /l2.0_p23
Bootloader main 00132023
Hw radio 0004
Sw radio eur_chn_141w
Bootloader radio a2cswdnl0010001
Hw dvddecoder 004(0x04)
Sw dvddecoder _ so_s7.0
Hw dvd drive ver a2c53173871
Sw dvd drive ver vw1_co_c.4.1
Hmi xml new version 1.13...
Text file version 24.04.2009

If anyone knows if i can update this and beat place to get the iso file from please direct me, same goes for the sd card file if someone had that and can email it that would be super useful.

Adam.

Offline ILoveTuna

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
Re: Hello all. Need help with my RNS510 firmware selection.
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 06:54:56 pm »
What version of can gateway do you have?

Offline Viking

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 06:58:58 pm »
Revision C, is that on the sticker on top of the unit or from the screen menu? I'd be looking at the physical sticker on the unit if there's any doubt, as the menu will report distorted versions following firmware updates. Check this first.

If you have a C revision on the sticker then you can go up to 4120 safely. If you have a B or an A revision then I would stick at 3810 personally.

SD card file? What do you mean?

If you're unsure about the can gateway and have already updated the firmware then expect your answer sometime soon. If it's not been changed to a supported gateway then you'll get battery drain. If it has been updated then any firmware update will be okay on that score.
Sarcasm for free. Anything after that can only be considered as a bonus.

Just because you think you know something, doesn't make you an expert if you've just read it on the internet, y'know.

Offline ad_182_uk

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 07:22:09 pm »
Sorry boys for the lack of info hopefully this will clear things up.

It is a non-star button version thats a non LED screen, if that helps.

All the listed info above is from the test menu screen after the FW2760 update.

Can gateway has not been done by myself, but the unit was in the car when i bought it.

When i did the fw2760 update i also used a second disc to downgrade a 'vuci' file as that would still communicate with an older gateway thus meaning no battery drain still even of gateway was not updated.

As for SD card file, i meant to install speed camera locations? As this is done that way i had read?
Also from the info above do you know if i can use a 32GB SDXC card?

Thanks in advance for more info.

Offline Viking

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 07:43:53 pm »
The C version of the RNS came as a star button and also as a speaker/i button. So if it's a non star button then it could be an A, B, or C. Pull the unit and find out for certain would be my advice.

The disc you have for no battery drain will work on the two firmwares I've pointed out to you as well, so battery drain shouldn't be an issue, although I'd suspect that the car has had the gateway done.

Just because you think you know something, doesn't make you an expert if you've just read it on the internet, y'know.

Offline ad_182_uk

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 07:59:37 pm »
Whats the differences between the firmware im running and the 2 later ones you mentioned? If i can getaway with just putting the vuci file disc in after any firmware update rather than pulling the whole unit out the dash to check what version it is id prefer to do that.

Is there any help you can give for the speed cams, will they not work on fw2760?

Offline mvb12

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 64
  • VCDS - Adaptations * Coding * Diagnostics PM Me
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2014, 08:03:34 pm »
PM'd  :happy2:
VCDS HEX NET / VCP / ODIS - COVERING LONDON AND MIDLANDS
VCDS - Adaptations * Coding * Diagnostics PM Me
Canbus Gateway - Supply and fit (Stop battery drain issues)

Offline Viking

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2014, 08:07:00 pm »
The issue is not with battery drain. It's about the hardware you have supporting the firmware you're loading onto it. Early revisions will not support later firmware because they're not up to the job. Imagine trying to load Windows 7 onto an old Windows 95 computer.

The battery drain is with the unit and the can gateway compatibility, and not to do with the firmware you load on. The firmware fix disc will sort the battery drain, but doesn't make old hardware compatible with new firmware. You could easily make yourself a large, stylish paperweight if you try and load firmware on which is incompatible. Or (standard disclaimer) any firmware update has the possibility of bricking the unit.

Later firmwares have an extra partition on the hard drive for Personal Poi (speed camera database) and as the hard disc is reformatted on later firmwares, you should have a map disc and speed camera file ready to reload after upgrading.

Offline ad_182_uk

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2014, 09:08:53 pm »
The issue is not with battery drain. It's about the hardware you have supporting the firmware you're loading onto it. Early revisions will not support later firmware because they're not up to the job. Imagine trying to load Windows 7 onto an old Windows 95 computer.

The battery drain is with the unit and the can gateway compatibility, and not to do with the firmware you load on. The firmware fix disc will sort the battery drain, but doesn't make old hardware compatible with new firmware. You could easily make yourself a large, stylish paperweight if you try and load firmware on which is incompatible. Or (standard disclaimer) any firmware update has the possibility of bricking the unit.

Later firmwares have an extra partition on the hard drive for Personal Poi (speed camera database) and as the hard disc is reformatted on later firmwares, you should have a map disc and speed camera file ready to reload after upgrading.

Ok cool the majority of that makes sense.
So my fw2760 doesnt allow a partition for speed cameras? Should i get fw3*** mentioned abiove or fw4***  assuming both are safe on my system? If theres little difference in changes then ill happily go for the safer option. Then follow it up with the vuci downgrade to just double make sure no battery drain, i have v10 maps aswell if the maps happen to be wiped.

Whats a little odd is i did previously have speed cams, but onky 5 dogit pistcode search. So i changed firmware so i could have the 7 digit postcode but no longer have speed cams :( so hoping doing the above will finally give me everything i originally wanted (7 digit postcode and ability for speed cam locations all on my version b/c)

Offline ad_182_uk

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2014, 09:11:39 pm »
PM'd  :happy2:

Cant reply to pms yet :( :(
If you send me another pm with your mob number i can text you bak though as i get an email eith the pm text in it lol

Offline Viking

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2014, 09:21:52 pm »

Ok cool the majority of that makes sense.
So my fw2760 doesnt allow a partition for speed cameras? Should i get fw3*** mentioned abiove or fw4***  assuming both are safe on my system? If theres little difference in changes then ill happily go for the safer option. Then follow it up with the vuci downgrade to just double make sure no battery drain, i have v10 maps aswell if the maps happen to be wiped.

Whats a little odd is i did previously have speed cams, but onky 5 dogit pistcode search. So i changed firmware so i could have the 7 digit postcode but no longer have speed cams :( so hoping doing the above will finally give me everything i originally wanted (7 digit postcode and ability for speed cam locations all on my version b/c)

I suspect you have an A or B version unit, and I would personally stick at 3810 firmware with that. Others have gone higher with no issues, but then again some have had dim screen issues, bricked units, and other problems. Once you get the firmware where you want it, and have the maps loaded on, then you can load the speed cameras on afterwards.

Offline ad_182_uk

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2014, 09:25:10 pm »
Brilliant thanks for the info. Do you have a link for the 3810 firmware? Is there any modded cersions that may have benefits but be safe that you know of.

Finally with me having 'hardware version - h03' does that mean i cant use 32gb sd cards?

Adam

Offline ad_182_uk

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2014, 09:31:55 pm »
Will this work for example?

Althpugh still unsure about SD card compatability... I could use usb but it seems horrifically slow, my current one tales 5mins before it registers then if i want to cycle folders it will just freeze for 2-3 mins before sorting itself out.

Might be as its an old usb or might be that its going through the MDI???

Offline Viking

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2014, 09:33:44 pm »
The 32gig SD card will be dependant on the firmware mate.

There's a sticky in the Sat Nav / Audio section with firmware update info and links.  :happy2:

Offline Viking

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2014, 09:34:35 pm »
Will this work for example?

Althpugh still unsure about SD card compatability... I could use usb but it seems horrifically slow, my current one tales 5mins before it registers then if i want to cycle folders it will just freeze for 2-3 mins before sorting itself out.

Might be as its an old usb or might be that its going through the MDI???

Did you miss something out here?