Make a donation

Author Topic: Wedding cash gift...but how much?  (Read 2937 times)

Offline edd666999

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
Wedding cash gift...but how much?
« on: May 21, 2014, 01:11:24 pm »
So my good friend is about to get married and they have asked guests to give cash as gifts (Weird I know)

Anyway after some thought i'm going to follow this request....but how much do I give?!?

I'm the best man, I arranged his stag and paid for his travel, accommodation and all food/drink too.

I have just had to pay for the rental of a cottage at the venue for me n the Mrs.

(not sure if those things are valid when it comes to working out how much to give)

I feel like I'm valuing their friendship in a cash sum......How much is too little? how much is too much?!?!  :scared:

Offline Matto

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 116
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,37071.0.html
Re: Wedding cash gift...but how much?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 01:18:23 pm »
Whenever I've done this either as a best man or evening guest, I've just chucked 20 quid in a card.

Offline welikeaps

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 01:54:27 pm »
£50

Offline smokeybubbles

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 02:02:11 pm »
Best man. £100.

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 02:05:06 pm »
Good question  :smiley:

I am in similar position too . Its in London at a weekend and having to stay overnight , so cost of getting there and back and the hotel for 5 of us overnight will be £300-£400 just to be present at the wedding

If it was local and not costing as much just to be present i would give £100

Why is it that people ask for cash , it really annoys me and is very cheeky , wedding gifts were meant for couples setting up home together , not like it is now where they already have every thing under the sun .

Attended one wedding where they wanted donations to their spending money for their 2 week honeymoon in Mauritius ! Piss take is say
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=jqh75c40hpbk3u582tek5qdtqi&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 02:06:54 pm »
We got married last year... and purposefully didn't ask for anything, and got some nice things/vouchers etc

I would say between 50-100 depending.

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 03:13:55 pm »
I think in some ways the cash present means the couple can choose what they want but if they already have a house and appliances etc, they don't really need wedding gifts and IMO don't need cash either. I might give £20 or so, depending on how generous I'm feeling. Especially if I've already spent loads on the groom at the stag.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 03:47:38 pm »
Best man. £100.

Thats what I usually do for a wedding...........................It's pretty normal for cash gifts (last 3 I have been  to have done that), it's usually where the couple have lived together for a fair while and dont need a new dinner set or blender, but cash to offset their wedding cost or pay for honeymoon helps  :happy2:

My younger brother is getting married in July and I am giving them £100 towards their delayed honeymoon (September), between them they earn 3x what I earn  :signLOL:
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 03:49:45 pm by Tamiyoman »
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline paulw123

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2014, 04:25:44 pm »
My niece got married last week, we had the same dilemma, it cost £50 a head for guests, there were 4 of us, so we gave £200.....well that's what the mrs made me do  :sad1:
I think they got £4500 cash.
GT TDI sport 140 08plate,RCD510 DAB, leather armrest, euro cup holder

Offline prp74

• Thank You
  • -Given: 37
  • -Receive: 126
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2014, 05:00:38 pm »
I would say £100. And I'm sure he will appreciate all the other things u have done for him.
mk5 Graphite Blue GTI - Leathers, Xenons, MFD2, PDC, Boot Pop - SOLD
mk7 Pure White GTI - Performance Pack, Xenons, DSG, Leathers, Pro Nav, Dynaudio, Self Park, Keyless, 18" OZ Ultraleggera

Offline Legend

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2014, 07:17:49 pm »
Give him a voucher for Miltek  :star:
Aye, that wan.

Offline richtung

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 56
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2014, 08:16:39 pm »
Most of the weddings we have been to have requested cash gifts - its pretty much the norm. Me and the GF usually throw in £100.

Our wedding is in August and we have also asked guests for cash gifts. We have around 450 guests for the main banquet (Its a Chinese wedding) and thats at £70 (ish) per head. We need as much as possible to put toward the banquet! In November, we have another banquet in Hong Kong for our extended family. There's about 320 going to this one and its the same price per head.

We are pretty screw if we end up with 20 odd toasters / blenders / bedsheets etc!!  :grin:

Rich

Offline betty_swollox

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 29
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2014, 08:19:00 pm »
Most of the weddings we have been to have requested cash gifts - its pretty much the norm. Me and the GF usually throw in £100.

Our wedding is in August and we have also asked guests for cash gifts. We have around 450 guests for the main banquet (Its a Chinese wedding) and thats at £70 (ish) per head. We need as much as possible to put toward the banquet! In November, we have another banquet in Hong Kong for our extended family. There's about 320 going to this one and its the same price per head.

We are pretty screw if we end up with 20 odd toasters / blenders / bedsheets etc!!  :grin:

Rich

OOOH so popular  :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: lol
2010 Leon CUPRA
BCS Powervalve Exhaust
Revo Ceramic Intake
APR Stage 2

Offline richtung

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 56
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2014, 08:35:00 pm »

We are pretty screw if we end up with 20 odd toasters / blenders / bedsheets etc!!  :grin:

Rich

If only!! we only know about 100 - the rest i havent met before....

Offline betty_swollox

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 29
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2014, 08:51:07 pm »

Rich

If only!! we only know about 100 - the rest i havent met before....

hahaha nowt worse than being stuck with loads of people that u dont even know
2010 Leon CUPRA
BCS Powervalve Exhaust
Revo Ceramic Intake
APR Stage 2