Make a donation

Author Topic: HTC M8 vs Samsung S5  (Read 1912 times)

Offline Legend

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 0
HTC M8 vs Samsung S5
« on: May 26, 2014, 09:59:02 pm »
Hello!

So it's about time I change my phone because I'm getting rather bored of it now and the new smartphone range does seem to be somewhat striking. Currently an avid owner of a 64GB iPhone 5 in Slate Black. I've been having a look at the new HTC M8 and it is very beautiful to put it simply. I'm in love with the metal casing and the whole design of the phone, think it looks stunning and really looks the part. On the other hand, there is the S5. Loaded with features and functions which are all new to the smartphone range even though I most likely won't use half the new features such as heartbeat sensor and fast downloads on 4G. However, even though I am sounding biased and more lenient towards the HTC, I'm just not a fan of the menu layout. The fact that you can't(?) personalise the background where all the apps are laid out, according to the guy at Carphone Warehouse, and it has to stay plain black is kind of disappointing but I guess that's just how the software is made. On the contrary, the S5 has an excellent UI which you can personalise how you want it and can never lead to boredom. I'm just not a fan of the plastic finish on the S5, I owned a S3 before and absolutely hated it. The plastic just didn't feel solid enough despite costing nearly the same price as the base model of an iPhone 5 back then. All I'm wanting to know if anyone has bought either of these phones and what they're opinion is, should I go for one these just now or wait out for the so-called S5 Prime which has the best of both worlds supposedly?

:party:
Aye, that wan.

Offline GLIDN

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 19
Re: HTC M8 vs Samsung S5
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 07:12:54 am »
I was in the same boat as you.

Personally for me, the Samsung still feels like a plastic toy. So I ended up with the HTC. So far really liking it.

Between the HTC M8 vs S5 vs Experia Z2.

If you want a nice, sturdy well laid out phone, the HTC M8 wins.
If multimedia is your sole focus, photo's, music etc. Then you can pick the S5 or Z2. Interface layout again goes to the Z2.

If under water photography is your thing? The S5 is guaranteed up to 1 metre for 30 minutes. Z2 is 1.5 metres for 30 minutes.
Z2 has the largest screen, but also feels a little heavy and cumbersome to hold.

Offline swgti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 6
  • GTI owners are born not manufactured!
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 07:48:41 am »
I've just got the M8 (upgraded form a Galaxy S2), had it about a week or two now and I'm massively impressed so far. Great to use, good battery (will last probably two days easily as long as your not putting under pressure) and I reckon the camera is superb. So far using it I've never seen the flash go once, indoors or out and managed to get some stunning shots at the Lakes Motor Museum last weekend.
Laser Blue 3dr No 209683, Leather, Monza II's and a few other goodies...........GONE but not forgotten......now in an A4 S-Line Avant 170tdi......god I miss the Gti.

Offline edd666999

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 08:50:25 am »
No contest, M8

Offline john87

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 53
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 10:02:45 am »
I've looked at the M8, S5 and the Z2.. however there's just something about the Sony UI's that's never appealed to me.

So between the S5 and M8 then. I've previously had two HTC's (Desire and One X+) and I think the M8 is what I will go for, as it just feels better in the hand than the S5 and I'm not too fussed for the 'physical' home button on the S5.

Both excellent phones, though!
VCDS Hex-USB +CAN (Central Scotland)

Offline DanMaytee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 11:51:39 am »
I was in the same boat too.  After playing with them both for a while in the shop I decided on the m8 and so glad I did :). Such and upgrade from my old iPhone 5.

Offline Legend

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 12:27:36 pm »
Cheers for the replies folks. I've been having a second look and some reviews on YouTube and I'm liking the M8. Going to go in store and have another play about with both of them today. Think I might get the M8 for now and then wait out for the S5 Prime or even the M8 Prime for my next phone!  :jumping: :laugh: .
Aye, that wan.

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 12:47:18 pm »
I will be have the same issue in a few months and been looklng at the same phones...

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 07:51:51 am »
I have th S5 although givne the choice i think id prefer the Experience Z2.

Something to consdier is how familiar are you with android?  Most people I know who go from IOS to Android or vice versa almost always seem to regret it

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 12:48:05 pm »
am on android and running a s2

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2014, 06:36:26 pm »

Thast was what I had last week.  Only just got he S5 and it is a fair step ahead in every way.

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2014, 07:46:47 pm »

Thast was what I had last week.  Only just got he S5 and it is a fair step ahead in every way.

knowing me i probs will get the s5

Offline GTI-Pirelli

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2014, 08:04:44 pm »
+1 for the M8.

As previously mentioned, the flash doesn't seem to be needed but is good when it is. 2 days battery life is easily achievable. So glad I got one. Does everything really well.
I looked at the Z2 but the reviews I read put the HTC ahead as the best all-rounder. Pretiest against the iPhone 5, S5 and Z2 as well in my opinion (Sony jammed a big camera in and forgot to "design" it!).

Upgraded from the HTC One S so was a little biased as that was a pretty awesome phone. Faultless after 2 years (just fancied a change).

2017 Audi S4

Offline Legend

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2014, 01:33:09 am »
So I had that all important play about today in store and was bored of both in a couple of minutes, haha. Most likely because I'm not familiar with either. I had a Samsung S5 about 1.5 year ago and pretty much hated it, even with the extensive amount of care I take of my phones, it still managed to form a crack on the bezel edging despite Samsung claiming it to be a heat related issue which was faulted against my use of the phone. Taking a few minutes at the HTC lead me to find the UI quite bland and somewhat plain. I wasn't a fan of the tiled layout which seems to relate to the Nokia Window's phones which never appealed to me from day one. I had a crack at the S5 and as similar as it looks and sounds to the S3, I somehow had more pleasure in using to phone. The guy in the phone shop told me that a good few people were buying the S5's then purchasing metal rear door covers from fleebay for a mere £2-3. He said it gave them the best of both worlds with a phone full of features and still decent build quality which is questionable seeing as the covers come from Hong Kong and a-like and cheap as chips. Even though I'm still stuck, I'm going to continue reading reviews etcetera because to be honest, I don't really know what I'm expecting from a phone. I guess what I really want is a decent camera, iOS-like software, sound and build quality. Which to some may scream out HTC but it's something I can't get my finger on that isn't tempting me.
Aye, that wan.

Offline !tf

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2014, 08:04:42 am »
Been running android for the past two years. (Various ROMS on an s3) I find Samsung's version of android to be loaded with sh*t and laggy as hell. The S5 of my friends feels a lot better also, used my friends M8 for a few hours and i was very, very impressed with it. Think that's what i would go with. The good thing with android is you can root it then customise til you're blue in the face
2005 Tornado Red GTI. Pescaras, Eibach Sportlines, Kenwood DDX-4028bt, Galactic Empire tax disc holder.

"It never got weird enough for me."