Make a donation

Author Topic: Anyone fixed P0441 fault code  (Read 16987 times)

Offline v4rley

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 104
Anyone fixed P0441 fault code
« on: May 28, 2014, 07:39:52 pm »
Had the notorious P0441 fault code for as long as I've had VCDS (over 1 year)
Have always wanted to sort the fault but never seen a conclusive solution, it has now started throwing a MIL.  :fighting:

Have done a vast amount of goggling, and don't really know where to start.
-I have fitted a new top hose / valve on the charcoal canister
-Have tested N80 valve, clicks under vcds test.

Considered changing to the revised hose to the N80, also have been to local vw getting prices and my charcoal canister has been superseded about 5 times, which leads me to think this could be another route to try.

So interested to know of anyone on here has fixed the fault.

Thanks in advance  :happy2:

Offline Alasdair

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
Re: Anyone fixed P0441 fault code
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 08:22:17 pm »
I'm in the same situation on the verge at going with the charcoal canister but like you have mentioned it has been superseded this means it's been improved but on the down side it means it's changed a few bits of pipe work and the cost of it all works out about £150, I previously replaced the n80 valve but didn't cure anything

Offline J6JCC-GTI

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 08:24:31 pm »
Do you fill your fuel tank right to the top??

I had this problem with mine, I read somewhere that if you don't fill your fuel tank right to the top the fault will go away.
The P0441 fault hasn't come back on mine for a year now since ive started leaving a bit of room in my tank!
Its worth a try if you havnt already:)
Insta: jclarke2792

Offline v4rley

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 08:35:35 pm »
Yeah think I was quoted approx £85 for canister and told also need 30cm of pipe, but they could only supply 5m. Did you replace the revised hose with the N80 (pipe revision)

Was tempted to ask for a free canister upgrade once the parts guy finally got through all the superseded screens  :signLOL: I would mind trying a new one but don't want to spend that much cash on just a punt

Use to fill to the brim, but once I found fault over a year ago I stopped brimming, but didn't prevent code returning :sad1:

Offline J6JCC-GTI

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 08:55:52 pm »
Use to fill to the brim, but once I found fault over a year ago I stopped brimming, but didn't prevent code returning :sad1:

[/quote]

Shame that didn't cure it like it did mine:( hope someone else can help you  :happy2:
Insta: jclarke2792

Offline Beeps

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 10:25:00 pm »
I had the fault a dozen times so JKM changed the canister ( about £85) - the fault has gone.

As mentioned, do not brim the tank it seems to block the canister

Offline v4rley

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 08:20:00 am »
I had the fault a dozen times so JKM changed the canister ( about £85) - the fault has gone.

As mentioned, do not brim the tank it seems to block the canister

Cool, thanks for the info  :happy2: .I couldn't really see the canister bein the problem as just looks likes a foam sponge inside but obviously serves a purpose! Think I might bite the bullet and order a canister at the weekend a see what happens

Offline !tf

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 08:29:04 am »
I had this fault when i bought my car back in February. Work done under warranty was replacement N80 valve and also found the fuel filter to be incorrectly fitted after a service. Could smell petrol when i got out of the car. No problems since and i have brimmed it several times to check that.
2005 Tornado Red GTI. Pescaras, Eibach Sportlines, Kenwood DDX-4028bt, Galactic Empire tax disc holder.

"It never got weird enough for me."

Offline v4rley

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2014, 07:50:58 pm »
Update:

Don't want to tempt fait but..... Change the charcoal canister and over 3 weeks not faults  :jumpmove:
The new canister P/N 1K0 201 801 E 

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2014, 11:03:41 pm »
Update:

Don't want to tempt fait but..... Change the charcoal canister and over 3 weeks not faults  :jumpmove:
The new canister P/N 1K0 201 801 E 

Can I ask the price of the canister?
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline v4rley

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2014, 07:54:32 am »

Can I ask the price of the canister?

Sure, it was £78 from local dealer

Offline galaxie500

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 37
  • -Receive: 13
  • 56 plate 5 door in Black Pearl Metallic
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2014, 08:09:04 am »
Not hijacking your thread but simply wanted to know what (if any) damage is being done with the fault code. I've had it for ever!
Thanks
PR

Offline v4rley

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2014, 09:49:36 am »
Not hijacking your thread but simply wanted to know what (if any) damage is being done with the fault code. I've had it for ever!
Thanks
PR

I don't think there would be any damage as a result of the fault code, as some people have removed the canister altogether (sometimes to make space for catch can) and have it coded out at remap. I had the code since I brough the car or since owning vcds  :signLOL: . Only I was happy to let it be mainly not knowing a certain fix, but then it started throwing a MIL light on the dash so wanted to get it sorted! Sure someone else will be able to explain its purpose / effects   :happy2:

Offline brinks787

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2014, 06:14:18 pm »
Thanks to this thread I've just replaced my evap cannister and hose and it seems to have fixed my long running P0441 fault code.

Mine would come up virtually every day and I'd reset it with my code reader only for it to come up again.  Even if it didn't set the engine check light it would show as a pending fault with the code reader.  I tested the valve with Vag Com and this always passed so after reading loads of threads including this one decided to splash out.

The new can was P/N 1KO 201 801 E (old one ended in D) and the new hose they recommended was 1KO 201 160 BG (old one looked the same).  Takes about 10 minutes to swap over both, nice and easy.

In case you ever wondered what they look like inside its just a load of charcoal balls with a membrane of some sort across the top.  On my old one if I tapped the membrane loads of charcoal dust came through but with the new one nothing.  Fingers crossed its done for good now.

In the photo I just nudged the membrane out of the way, it isn't attached to anything.

P.s. I paid £67.70 for the cannister and £9.90 for the hose - both prices not inc vat.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 06:15:56 pm by brinks787 »

Offline v4rley

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2014, 07:37:28 pm »
^^^  :jumpmove: pleased to hear your good news! Mines still good, nice to finally have it sorted!