Make a donation

Author Topic: Swapping wheel front to back??  (Read 6812 times)

Offline jhtrophy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 5
  • Oh no it's a diesel
    • Email
Re: Swapping wheel front to back??
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2009, 10:32:17 pm »
Agree with greenhouse. Fwd needs best on front as lots of power going through front needs grip and as said back does not kick out unless you ask it to. My Mazda on other hand nearly killed me in rain other day at 30 mph!!! Lol
BMW 335d msport touring lci. Auto, estate and diesel! Oh no

Offline Mako V12V

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 4
    • Astons, Porsches & Golf GTIs
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2009, 12:45:36 pm »
Thanks for all the replies  :happy2:

I think what i'll do is to move the rears with 5mm+ on them to the front and the fronts with 3mm- to the rear. Hopefully then i'll have more grip over winter and by next summer all tyres will probably need replacing.

Otherwise the fronts will need replacing quite soon and i dont wanna have to shell out for 2 new front tyres at mo as i'm skint!
VW Golf Edition 30, Candy White, 3dr Manual. Plus a stunning Aston Martin V12 Vantage!

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2009, 07:02:28 pm »
I can see your logic, but you seem to be talking more about on the limit driving, which you admit. Whereas this probably only makes up 10% of an average persons driving.

I think you have misunderstood.  The reason why the best tyres should go on the rear is nothing to do with driving 'on the limit'.  It is actually to help in moments when ANY kind of driver needs to lift off the throttle when negociating a corner - maybe due to an unseen or missed obsticle.

However, my years in the motortrade, and I've been on numerous tyre / suspension courses, the safest and best place for new Tyres is on the front.

I think it best we agree to disagree on this one

^ x2  :smiley:
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2009, 07:10:47 pm »
if your taking a corner properly in a fwd car the rear wont real let go unless your being a real tool. i was one last week :signLOL:

Were not arguing!  :signLOL:

Although saying that I did get a bit of oversteer in the .:R at Castle Combe!  :driver:
and leaving castle coombe if i remember rightly  :innocent:

Offline Greeners

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2009, 07:23:11 pm »
if your taking a corner properly in a fwd car the rear wont real let go unless your being a real tool. i was one last week :signLOL:

Were not arguing!  :signLOL:

Although saying that I did get a bit of oversteer in the .:R at Castle Combe!  :driver:
and leaving castle coombe if i remember rightly  :innocent:

Nah, just an awesome soundtrack that I miss dearly!  :sad: