Offline wodder42

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
tar
« on: May 24, 2014, 11:25:25 pm »
Hey...what's the best tar remover you guys have cone across? My car has some quite  heavy deposits and they're proving difficult to remove.
140 GT, Steel grey, smoothed R32 rear, GTI front with all black US grill, DRL's, ED30 interior, GTI pedal set, 18" Monzas, GTI headlights and R32 rear lights

Offline xjay1337

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
Re: tar
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 11:34:53 pm »
Autosmart Tardis is the ONLY product to look at....

Offline Spankiee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 20
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 03:10:54 pm »
Yep get the tardis on it
candy white edition 30

Stevie35

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 10:01:10 am »
I could recommend autofinesse oblitarate. Worked a treat for me and easy to use too :happy2:

Offline Chris92

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 35
  • If you're smart in this world they call you crazy
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,109742.0.html
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 07:00:38 pm »
I could recommend autofinesse oblitarate. Worked a treat for me and easy to use too :happy2:

I agree I think it's great, the thing with tardis is I think you can only buy it in 5L bulk and for someone like me who will use a tar remover 2/3 times a years it's a little over kill and will sit there for many of years before it's all used up.

Offline Legend

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 0
Aye, that wan.

Offline Chris92

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2014, 08:06:00 pm »
I bought a 500ml bottle from ebay not too long ago for under a fiver.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AutoSmart-500ml-Tardis-Tar-glue-remover-Car-Care-Cleaning-Valet-Quickly-Disol-/181297109437?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Car_Care_Cleaning&hash=item2a362659bd

I've never seen them in Anything but 5L bottles, cheers for the heads up  :happy2: . Did it come in a AS bottle on the add or like a proper bottle? If ebay sells them in 500ml why don't any car care site sell it in 500ml

Offline DDM

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2014, 09:11:01 pm »
i use pre-clean mate

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 12:33:24 am »

I agree I think it's great, the thing with tardis is I think you can only buy it in 5L bulk and for someone like me who will use a tar remover 2/3 times a years it's a little over kill and will sit there for many of years before it's all used up.
It's like £16-20 or something for a 5L tin from an AS rep.

Oblitarate is not as good and costs £10 for 500ml... that is by far more expensive.

Bilt hamber cleanser fluid is another one look at i would reocmmend it over oblitarate any day of the week.

Offline N8KOW

• Detailer - 2014
  • Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 7
    • Kowalski Details
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 01:04:45 am »
Tardis,

Tardis, and you should be using it more than 2/3 times a year  :signLOL:
IG: http://instagram.com/kowalskidetails
2014 Mk7 Golf R on Order...

Offline Chris92

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2014, 01:21:56 am »
Tardis,

Tardis, and you should be using it more than 2/3 times a year  :signLOL:

Why? I only use it when I do a full decontamination of the paint before I polish and wax.

Offline swgti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 6
  • GTI owners are born not manufactured!
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2014, 07:38:46 am »
I was looking for Tardis but as above was put off by the 5L option, possibly be looking to get some off the link above, just hope it is actually the real thing!!!! (isn't there a law against selling chemicals in unmarked bottles, COSHH etc???)

Anyway I opted for the AG stuff and although it's a bit more hard work it worked a treat and my car was absolutely splattered after a botch job on the road in our village.
Laser Blue 3dr No 209683, Leather, Monza II's and a few other goodies...........GONE but not forgotten......now in an A4 S-Line Avant 170tdi......god I miss the Gti.

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2014, 09:04:50 am »
I was looking for Tardis but as above was put off by the 5L option, possibly be looking to get some off the link above, just hope it is actually the real thing!!!! (isn't there a law against selling chemicals in unmarked bottles, COSHH etc???)
Tardis is meant to be sold and distributed in special containers to avoid leakage as it's essentially hazardous. It's also something that's not meant to be delivered by Royal Mail; courier only. Finally, there have been some reports of people getting ineffective/diluted products.

I don't use Tardis much but I've still got the 5l can and it's still not empty after 3-4 years. Will probably need to order some more this year I reckon.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Kevscupra

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2014, 11:31:21 am »
I was using AG tar remover, but had read so much about Tardis I thought I would give it a go.
I'm glad I did it works loads better than AG tar remover. And as said above it comes in a 5l tin, it will last a few year.

Offline Jakesangel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2014, 02:01:11 pm »
I bought a bottle of Autoglym Intensive tar remover from Halfords a few weeks ago for around £6-50 and it seemed to do the job really well. I've never experienced a "tar" problem before so this was the only product I was aware of at the time and since getting a white coloured GTi its obviously shows up a lot more. I'm sure there are better products available but all I can say it that I was pleased with the result in had on my car. :happy2: