Make a donation

Author Topic: Why'o'why will the TomTom not work?!  (Read 822 times)

Offline Legend

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 0
Why'o'why will the TomTom not work?!
« on: June 06, 2014, 01:13:34 am »
Hello fellows,

Recently bought a TomTom World 1005 model off ebay for a mere £120. Bargain compared to it's £299 price-tag from TomTom direct! Anyway, the father was trying to update it with the latest maps but was having issues because the laptop he uses is older than us all. The laptop seemingly wasn't picking up the device connected to it, which was obviously the tomtom, and kept saying 'looking for driver'. Me being stupid, I cancelled that because it was taking over 10 minutes to find a driver and continued to open TomTom home. After wasting a few hours on the machine and getting really annoyed, I brought my MacBook and decided to hook it up to that. I created a new account with Tomtom, downloaded the TomTom Home software and connected the TomTom to the computer. As soon as it's connected, it doesn't get noticed so I open up the window on the MacBook and it is showing the TomTom as my father's PC? Whaddahell? It comes under the 'shared' panel and it simply reads the PC name of my fathers laptop. After failing that, I removed the cable from the Macbook and all of a sudden everything goes black, makes a dead noise and shuts down my MacBook. The tomtom stays on but my Macbook was forced to shut down, which has never happened before. I've given up with the bloody thing now and it's not coming near the Macbook again, does anyone know what's going on? Is it virus riddled?

All advice is appreciated!
Aye, that wan.

Offline Horatio

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 39
Re: Why'o'why will the TomTom not work?!
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 07:07:27 am »
You'll probably need an older version of tomtom home to download to yours fathers laptop to see the device, but I don't think the newer tomtom models are backward compatible with older versions of tomtom home. I've had similar issues. Does the device have wifi? Can you update it via wifi? The older devices used to have a hard reset button underneath BUT Be sure to make a backup file of your maps etc if you can. Sorry it's not much help.
2007 Black Magic DSG Golf GTI Edition 30. No.1231
.:R32 "milk and juice come in 2 litres"
I run a dirty campervan, need scrubbers

Offline Legend

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 09:23:58 am »
You'll probably need an older version of tomtom home to download to yours fathers laptop to see the device, but I don't think the newer tomtom models are backward compatible with older versions of tomtom home. I've had similar issues. Does the device have wifi? Can you update it via wifi? The older devices used to have a hard reset button underneath BUT Be sure to make a backup file of your maps etc if you can. Sorry it's not much help.

No, no! Don't be mistaken, it's more help than I've got from anywhere else haha. The current newest version of Tomtom Home is the one he's using, it's also the one I downloaded onto the Macbook. So, if I understand correctly I'll need to source an older version of TomTom Home from somewhere and install that instead then? I mean, the device is pretty recent, it's one of the most-recent before all new GO systems so my guess is it's from 2012'ish. It must have WiFi I think because it seems to have Bluetooth and Twitter connectivity so I'll give that a shot too, would save soo much hassle! Thanks for the reply.
Aye, that wan.

Offline Horatio

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 39
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 07:40:40 pm »
Ahh right, the device shouldnt be an issue then. Have you tired uninstalling all the tt software from the laptop and starting again. Or if you the tt software on a cd, try loading tt home from the cd. Using the newer device with an older version of tomtom home wouldnt work, thinking about it now. Only other things i can think of are try a different pc, try a different usb cable, or a hard reset on the device as an only last resort.

If you use wifi, you'll have to pair a bluetooth phone to tomtom and then connect the phone to the wifi. I would put the phone in flight mode and turn on wifi to make sure it does use the wifi.

If the device was previously registered, maybe the last owner needs to de-register the device or change his email details to his tomtom account so you can access it.

Hope that helps.  :happy2:
2007 Black Magic DSG Golf GTI Edition 30. No.1231
.:R32 "milk and juice come in 2 litres"
I run a dirty campervan, need scrubbers