Make a donation

Author Topic: ESP Help  (Read 2714 times)

Offline maxwell

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
ESP Help
« on: March 08, 2009, 12:52:07 am »
Right guys, got two new tyres slapped on the front of my GTI DSG today, they are the same size but lower profile. Notice the ESP light now  flashes up when it normally wouldn't like if i pull away at a junction, don't floor it or anything just pull away normally  :confused:. Also notice today i put my foot down to accelerate which the car did the ESP light flashed up and the car slowed down for a few seconds :/ only started doing this since the new tyres.. any ideas??

Offline candy turbo

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 11
Re: ESP Help
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 08:31:35 am »
why have you fitted lower profile tyres ????????????????????????????????

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 10:16:19 am »
x2

Lower profile tyres will have a smaller rolling circumference than standard and will cause your esp and tyre pressure monitor to play up.
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 10:32:15 am »
I'd say you need to change all four.

ESP will measure the Rolling Radius of the wheels, all four, and thus will be seeing the fronts differently to the rear.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline maxwell

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 11:11:56 am »
Well  due to some nice damage to the current tyres the front needed changing as a temp measure till i get some compensation for them replacing and i had some new tyres in the garage so they went on.
The rears on mine were different to the fronts any way when i got it and never had this problem.

So what happens when i buy aftermarket alloys does this still happen

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 11:15:14 am »
So what happens when i buy aftermarket alloys does this still happen

It's not a problem if all four are the same size.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

Offline maxwell

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 11:19:24 am »
But thats what im saying, the tyres were diff sizes when i got it,  so if i fit wider rears this will mess it up?
 Had no idea about this problem lol guess i will just have to change them  :happy2:

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 11:34:22 am »
No, we are talking about Rolling Radius not width.  You said that you'd changed the profile on the front.  The profile refers to the depth of the sidewall.

http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html
Stu...

Offline maxwell

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2009, 02:05:22 pm »
Cheers for help mate, i meant with the staggered fitment etc some times different profiles are fitted to the fronts and rears thats all

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009, 03:30:40 pm »
Specific cars may react differently however your Golf has a sensor on each hub which counts the teeth on the revolving part of the hub to ascertain the number of revolutions each wheel is doing.
Stu...

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2009, 03:45:59 pm »
we are talking about Rolling Radius

To OP: Use this or this to calculate the difference in rolling radius.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2009, 12:51:18 am »

ESP can even kick in if the tyre tread types are different between axles. Assymetrics on one axle and Directionals on the other.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2009, 11:38:42 am »
x2

Lower profile tyres will have a smaller rolling circumference than standard and will cause your esp and tyre pressure monitor to play up.

Fully agree, however, if the tyres are the same, then perhaps the ESP didn't atually re-calibrate itself correctly.

Oh, and it probably isn't the actual 'stability' part of the ESP which is kicking in - it will just be the ASR (or traction control) - which is all part of the ESP system.
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~