Make a donation

Author Topic: If it can't be a Golf...  (Read 1492 times)

Offline justcallmeal

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
If it can't be a Golf...
« on: June 06, 2014, 09:51:58 am »
Hi Guys,

After 5 years of very happy ownership the time has come to move on my beloved Mk 5 GTi.  She has given a total 9 years of virtually faultless service but news following a recent service means that I either start absorbing some big workshop bills or move on.  As much as I'd like to, it has to happen.    :sad1:

The big question is now... If it can't be a Golf (GTi of course!) then what will it be.  I'd be looking for something 2 years old but Mk 6's are just a little too pricey and miles are higher than I'd like.  The Octavia VRS looks appealing - I know it's not a GOLF but maybe the next best thing.  A house move and potential family ahead means I need to be semi sensible in both costs and practicality.

So, if you couldn't have a Golf, what would it be?

Offline edd666999

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
Re: If it can't be a Golf...
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 09:52:48 am »
leon?

Offline Karl_mac_

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 10:07:09 am »
Focus ST, possibly the Estate? Modest colour as the black or blue. The previous gen didn't wear their age very well but new ones are supposed to be better.
VW Golf GTi DSG2.0 TFSI : DSG : BBS LM : Blueflame exhaust : Pipercross Venom Induction : Eibach Springs
VW Lupo1.4l : Automatic : White : Stickers.

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2014, 10:47:05 am »
Care to elaborate on what "big workshop bills" your are referring to??
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline justcallmeal

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2014, 11:00:30 am »
Full gear box, clutch and flywheel.  Been quoted around £1,200+ by my local independent

Car is 115,000 miles so it's to be expected at some point or another but given the market value of the car it's relatively a significant amount.  Time to move along...
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 11:18:38 am by justcallmeal »

Offline lordbigsack

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 11:40:19 am »
£1200 quid on a car you know and like is ALOT cheaper than buying a 2 year old VRS.  Unless you just fancy a change.

I quite like the look of the passat CC, not everyones taste but practical.  Too grown up maybe
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 11:41:52 am by lordbigsack »
Standard Edition 30

Offline betty_swollox

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 29
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 11:43:27 am »
£1200 quid on a car you know and like is ALOT cheaper than buying a 2 year old VRS.  Unless you just fancy a change.

I quite like the look of the passat CC, not everyones taste but practical.  Too grown up maybe

You don't know his financial circumstances mate?

he's had the car for 9 years? I presume its paid off by now?? Maybe he has been saving and has money to put towards a new car?
2010 Leon CUPRA
BCS Powervalve Exhaust
Revo Ceramic Intake
APR Stage 2

Offline Dave7692

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2014, 11:49:08 am »
Buy a 'Rocco  :evilgrin:

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2014, 11:53:28 am »

he's had the car for 9 years? I presume its paid off by now?? Maybe he has been saving and has money to put towards a new car?

And nor do you, making your post actually less valid than his...and yours seems as aggressive as ever.

Offline lordbigsack

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2014, 11:57:59 am »
Betty, your absolutely right I dont know his financial circumstances - just simple mathematics

£1200 is less than a 2year old car.  Lets use the autotrader and an octavia vrs as an example as this has been mentioned earlier in the thread.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/search/used/cars/skoda/octavia/postcode/yo196nt/radius/1500/keywords/vrs/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/maximum-age/up_to_3_years_old/sort/default

cheapest here is £9k

By my simple sums that is

9000 -
------
------

So a new gearbox, clutch, flywheel is £7800 cheaper than a new car.  Now, no matter which way you slice it its a smaller number for the repairs.  As you may not have grasped that theory let me explain it another way.  It would cost more money to buy a new car.

As you will have seen from my original post, i also question if this is a change because he feels like a change and suggest an alternative.

To the OP, good luck deciding what to do with the motor.
Standard Edition 30

Offline betty_swollox

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2014, 11:58:15 am »

And nor do you, making your post actually less valid than his...and yours seems as aggressive as ever.

yeah that was so aggreesive  :booty:
2010 Leon CUPRA
BCS Powervalve Exhaust
Revo Ceramic Intake
APR Stage 2

Offline betty_swollox

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2014, 11:59:23 am »
Betty, your absolutely right I dont know his financial circumstances - just simple mathematics

£1200 is less than a 2year old car.  Lets use the autotrader and an octavia vrs as an example as this has been mentioned earlier in the thread.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/search/used/cars/skoda/octavia/postcode/yo196nt/radius/1500/keywords/vrs/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/maximum-age/up_to_3_years_old/sort/default

cheapest here is £9k

By my simple sums that is

9000 -
------
------

So a new gearbox, clutch, flywheel is £7800 cheaper than a new car.  Now, no matter which way you slice it its a smaller number for the repairs.  As you may not have grasped that theory let me explain it another way.  It would cost more money to buy a new car.

As you will have seen from my original post, i also question if this is a change because he feels like a change and suggest an alternative.

To the OP, good luck deciding what to do with the motor.

yes I can count. But maybe he can't justify spending £1200 on a 9 year old car??

Found a GTI for £4k on auto trader with similar miles. I wouldnt want to spend £1200 on a car that is only worth £4k

When he goes to sell it, he will only really get £2800

£4000
-

£1200

=

£2800
(using those simple mathematic formulas that you kindly explained to me)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 12:02:36 pm by betty_swollox »
2010 Leon CUPRA
BCS Powervalve Exhaust
Revo Ceramic Intake
APR Stage 2

Offline lordbigsack

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2014, 12:04:32 pm »
Betty, your funny -  I like you :)

Standard Edition 30

Offline justcallmeal

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2014, 12:10:05 pm »
Cheers guys and steady on?!  No fallouts please!  And thank you for your comments and advice so far.

All points are very valid and I've been doing sums and trying to weigh the whole thing up.  Yes, the car is 9 years old and going great but age and wear are starting to show.  The car is a daily driver and I rely on it pretty hard - it's well cared for but also well used.  It might be a £1,200 bill now but what else might follow is my debating question?  And £1,200 on a £4K car doesn't seem like good maths.

To buy a fresher car at 2 years is an outlay of (more) money (again!).  however, my thoughts that lower maintenance and repair costs with a newer car paired with less hassle makes sound sense.

Back to the original post...  If it can't be a Golf...

P.s.  Thinking of changing my name to "BettyBigsack" - What a great combo!!   :grin:

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2014, 12:12:02 pm »
Betty, your funny -  I like you :)

I don't think your the first to have an argument with "Betty" in a thread :signLOL:
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr