Make a donation

Author Topic: Tyre noise  (Read 2277 times)

Offline irish_ram

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 200
  • -Receive: 26
Tyre noise
« on: June 07, 2014, 09:29:41 am »
Wondered if anyone can give advice on this.

I had another topic where I had issues with a loudish whirring noise which got louder the faster I went. I got some advice that it could be a wheel bearing faulty. Well in the end I took it to the garage the other day and advise it may be w wheel bearing but after they checked everything they advised the rear brakes were touching metal on metal. So I went ahead and got pads/discs replaced. They did another test run  and said there was no other faults and all they could ow hear was Tyre squeal.

What I am wondering was is the Tyre squeal an issue or is it just the type of Tyre's I have on. The noise can get a little annoying but if there is not actually an issue then I will put up with it until I get some new Tyre's which are less noisy.

Offline J12spk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 22
  • VW PERVERT
    • Email
Re: Tyre noise
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 09:40:27 am »
Budget tyres are terrible for road noise! I went for a decent mid range which are reasonably quiet. Can't justify the cost of the high range Pirelli or Bridgestone etc! But you get what u pay for!!

Das Auto

Offline robdf2

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 09:40:56 am »
Swap your tyres from front to back , I know on the Leon's (same platform as the mk5) that the rear tyres get a 50p shape to them, it's worth a shout doing and free if it fixes your issue.
2008 Chrono yellow Cupra

Offline ARV_90

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 14
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2014, 09:42:12 am »
I have a similar issue with noise from the rear of the car,  I think my wheels have been swapped from front to back and the different wear pattern causes it, My tyres are Dunlop Sport maxx and are known for it as well so I am looking into new boots soon as it is driving me mad  :smiley:

Offline irish_ram

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2014, 09:57:22 am »
Cheers chaps

Seems to confirm it is more the quality of tyre then and not that I have an issue.

The tyres came with the 2nd hand Alloys I bought and are all different and are not any of the known quality tyre makes so likely budget.

Now the rain has stopped I think I will go out and swap them around and see if makes a difference.

I must admit the noise was not there when initially put the tyres wheels on my car so maybe have worn over time on the rears.

Offline chris-182

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2014, 10:22:23 am »
my car had loud road noise when I bought it, fitted continentals since and has much improved.

Offline irish_ram

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 07:07:59 pm »
Right so I swapped over the rears with the front yesterday and when driving to work this morning the noise was worse and along with the Tyre noise there is no a loud whirring sound which gets louder with speed.

The garage checked the wheel bearings when took in a week ago and said there was no issues apart from Brakes which I got replaced.

Could it be that the issue was the rear Tyre noise and can hear more now I have swapped to the front.

Offline Degudodger

• Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 86
    • Flickr
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 07:13:10 pm »
What tyres are you running and what are their depths. Some tyres when getting down to their last couple of mm drone really badly, especially budget ones.
2016 Mk7 Golf GTD - Reflex Silver with stuff.

VCDS Hex+Can - Will code for beer!

Offline Wragg

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 07:18:01 pm »
I've also heard pattern design can make a difference too.. Asermetrical compared to directional

Offline irish_ram

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2014, 07:46:35 pm »
What tyres are you running and what are their depths. Some tyres when getting down to their last couple of mm drone really badly, especially budget ones.

I will have to check on the make but all tyres have at least 5mm of thread.

If it is the tyres just making noise because they are really cheap budget then so be it but I am worried it may be something more however the garage did not mention any issues apart from the brakes and stated tyre noise but I am presuming if there was any issues with any of the tyres which was causing the noise they would have said. My other fear was that there was an issue with maybe the Alloys themselves.

With this noise I am seriously considering selling them and buy a different set of alloys

Offline 56OctyVRS

• Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 72
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2014, 11:25:37 pm »
Get the geometry checked as it is a known issue on the mk5 chassis that you get feathering on the inside of the tyre, which causes the noise.
Frozen White Ford Focus 1.6 Ecoboost Titanium.
Mods so far - Superchips Bluefin, High Flow Air Box

Offline _christoone_

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2014, 09:55:35 am »
My leon seams to be making tyre noise. It's since they are close to being worn out. Hopefully will go when I get some new tyres.

Offline irish_ram

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2014, 07:12:50 pm »
Get the geometry checked as it is a known issue on the mk5 chassis that you get feathering on the inside of the tyre, which causes the noise.

Think I will take it back to the garage but today I could hear the Tyre noise but there was also a loud spinning noise that sounded metally if makes sense and rubbing noise which got louder as hit the brake.

I am wondering if the front brakes now need replacing however this noise was not around until I swapped the tyres around at the weekend.

May swap them back and see what happens with the noise

Offline irish_ram

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2014, 03:10:21 pm »
Right so took my car to the garage this morning and the mechanic took it for a drive down the motorway with me in the car.

As we drive you could hear the humming sound at a constant level which he said is tyre noise. Also when slowing down I advised the noise gets louder but he said it will do with the tyre noise but then when you slow right down and drive there was no noise. He said if it was wheel bearings then the noise would be constant and would also change when turning the wheel but the noise I had did not.

He said he noticed the noise was louder but I advised I had swapped the rear tyres with the front so he advised it is likely the previous rear tyres which are now at the front which are making the noise. He said it sounded more like the drivers side too.

He did say you will get more noise with budget tyres and I have listed mine below which on googling all look like budget makes but he said to check the speed rating to make sure you have the correct rating. One of my tyres says W88 and the other 3 say 92W which I think is fine.

Front Drivers - 225/40 ZR18 W88
Front Passenger and both Rear tyres - 225/40 ZR18 92W XL

What I did notice is all of my tryes apart from the Front Drivers look quite inflated but the Front Drivers does look a little flatter so maybe that could be contributing to the noise.

Does anyone know where I can fine what the PSI should be for the above tyres sizes on my Golf MK 1.4 TSI

Offline Nodz

• Thank You
  • -Given: 73
  • -Receive: 103
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,29264.0.html
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2014, 03:16:04 pm »
The tyre pressures are normally inside the fuel flap or in the manual