Make a donation

Author Topic: Weekend/Trackday Coupe  (Read 3693 times)

Offline tony_danza

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
Re: Weekend/Trackday Coupe
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2014, 05:33:27 pm »
WHAMMY!

My mate had one of these, easily as fast as my old 135i and handled like a house fly. Only going up in value too!
Sideways yo!

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2014, 06:11:12 pm »
Love the Elise, no doubt it handles well. But the engine just isn't special enough to give it a sense of occasion. Exige S could be doable at that budget.

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2014, 06:15:01 pm »
You're spot on about the Elise, Mike. A friend had one in that year but it was a lesser model, none the less it went well and was rev-tastic with everything to match.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is I don't mind it being a bit more bloated and with mildly more road presence if it has a 6pot block or even bigger, perhaps. On balance, the Cayman S is probably about right all considered.

You all have a point about the e92 M3 though, that should probably be where I put the cash.
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2014, 08:46:11 pm »
It's your money, which isn't a criticism, it means point us at what you really want and we'll help - I could suggest a million things that'll be inappropriate.

OK. If you can pick up a 335i which someone's already spunked a load of money on, consider it. I'd just push to the M3, It'll be worth it.

M3, they've bombed and it's probably the time to buy before N/A V8 nostalgia kicks in and they sneak up to where they should be.

Cayman S will just do it, with ease.

Maybe you'd get into a 370Z, or a 350Z with a load to spend on bits. I can't think of many 6pot+ cars.
Sideways yo!

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=pe8bj8sm7f0s47er4r7cfvtkf7&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2014, 08:54:49 pm »
Weekend/track coupe..... 335i is the last that that would spring to mind.

Elise with a turbo or supercharged lump... how much are they going for?

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2014, 10:07:45 pm »
It's your money, which isn't a criticism, it means point us at what you really want and we'll help - I could suggest a million things that'll be inappropriate.

OK. If you can pick up a 335i which someone's already spunked a load of money on, consider it. I'd just push to the M3, It'll be worth it.

M3, they've bombed and it's probably the time to buy before N/A V8 nostalgia kicks in and they sneak up to where they should be.

Cayman S will just do it, with ease.

Maybe you'd get into a 370Z, or a 350Z with a load to spend on bits. I can't think of many 6pot+ cars.
:happy2:

370Z is a good shout, although one of these would probably pip it:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2006-BMW-Z4M-Coupe-3-2-Manual-Imola-Red-Low-Miles-NOW-SOLD-/151309762699?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item233ac3c08b

Weekend/track coupe..... 335i is the last that that would spring to mind.

Elise with a turbo or supercharged lump... how much are they going for?

I suppose it needs to be German or Jap and reliable, not necessarily the sharpest track toy in the bag - is probably what I should've said Rich. The subject was deliberate to get some ideas on the table to get me thinking on Cayman S/Z4/(M)/M3 coupe alternatives  :smiley:

From what people have said, the e46 M3 has already been taken off the 'possibly own one day' list  :scared:
Pete

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2014, 10:25:54 pm »
Z4 is a nice car, but you'd kick yourself you didn't go for the Porsche for the same money.

Just buy sensibly. You could end up dropping £3k on one on its first proper service. I paid more for my 2001 Boxster S than I could have gotten one for, but every major thing that usually goes wrong with them had been done. All new wishbones, arms, rod ends, joints, fittings, suspension , rms, IMS, clutch, seals elsewhere, coil packs, manifolds, lots of tidying, air con rads, brackets and refurbishing. In all about £5k on bits was spent on mine, the chap did all the work and I paid just over £8k. £16k of receipts in total too.

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2014, 03:50:48 pm »
^ I hear you Luke  :happy2:

Is it stupid to suggest an e36 M3 in either 2/4 door?  :ashamed:
Occasionally, I come across a nice genuinely looked after un-abused one.
Pete

Offline Edition_slim

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2014, 05:22:30 pm »
VW Corrado with a tuned 1.8t conversion. Spend the rest of your budget  on some decent coil overs, poly bush, braces and a set of brakes. All in would come be less than 10-12k and easily keep up with the cars you've mentioned, plus it's something different......well that's what I'd do  :happy2: