Make a donation

Author Topic: Golf Mk5 Steering sensor failure after cam belt change  (Read 2553 times)

Offline Vikesh

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Golf Mk5 Steering sensor failure after cam belt change
« on: June 11, 2014, 06:23:46 pm »
Hello There,

I am pretty new to this community, but i really need some guidance here.

Took my 55Reg Golf GTI to a indy garage for Cambelt change. He was the cheapest at our place coming n at 440 quid.  He rung me in the morning to say the steering sensor has gone faulty and the whole steering rack needs replacement and he quoting me 700 pounds for that job.

Got to drive the car a while ago and the steering feels really heavy and it does not balance itself (he said it was the faulty sensor on the steering rack that is the issue) . Apparently , he has seen this happen on two other golfs before.

When cam belt is changed, the battery needs to be disconnected and when battery is connected back - the steering sensor needs to kick back in to help the steering wheel balance itself, which is during the first 20-50 meters. Apparently it is only required initially when the car is driven after a battery reconnect, the sensor is not required during a normal stop / start.

He has tried balancing the wheel by turning it full circle left and right but it has not resolved the issue. My dashboard which was spot less is now illuminated with ABS, Steering wheel, Air bag alarms
I find it quite hard to believe. I really hope someone out here could confirm this for me. I have a feeling that i am being taken for a ride.

Thanks
Viks

Offline JoeDarKa

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 57
  • -Receive: 73
Re: Golf Mk5 Steering sensor failure after cam belt change
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 06:39:17 pm »
Left turn to lock, hold for 5-10 secs. Right turn to lock, hold for 5-10secs. Centre the wheel then drive forward slowly keeping speed below 5mph i think.

Where do you live?

GT Sport - Reflex Silver 2.0 TDI My Build

Offline Vikesh

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 06:56:50 pm »
Hi Joe,

We have tried it and that doesn't work.

I live in Basingstoke , Hampshire.

Regards
vikesh

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 06:57:43 pm »
As Joe says would be my thoughts!

However, this may help your garage if they've got VCDS:-

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/steering-wheel-adaptation-and-window-pinch-protection-reset-mk5/

Offline Vikesh

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 07:19:39 pm »
Thanks Guys.

I will suggest to him but he said he has tried the steering reset but not sure about the power windows.  I will have a chat with him tomorrow before he swaps the steering rack.

Wondering if the sensor thing is true. Would like to confirm that first

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 07:37:42 pm »
I know racks can fail at anytime but it would be low on my list for just disconnecting the battery?

Read this :- http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=304243

May be your repairer should send a little more time as the rack will be a gen3 required and that will be expensive!

Offline DDM

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 07:53:02 pm »
Why disconnect the battery? Can't see why you'd do that

Offline SI-R32

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 125
Re:
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 07:58:02 pm »
I would imagine just incase the engine turns over and you loose your fingers, its all about safety mate
Loads of extra's and retro fits.

Offline DDM

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re:
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2014, 08:35:13 pm »
I would imagine just incase the engine turns over and you loose your fingers, its all about safety mate
Makes far more sense just to take the keys out of the ignition, a cambelt  change is a one person job, that way there shouldn't be any risk of anybody interfering with your work, and making a mistake, especially if like I said there's no keys to do so. IMO there's absolutely no reason to disconnect the battery to change a cambelt on this car in question. Then there shouldn't be a question of any kind of safety either.

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2014, 08:42:02 pm »
May be he didn't disconnect the battery and just left the keys or lights on in error or the battery is nearing the end of its life!

I would of left the battery connected if I was doing that job because of that fault he's got and yes it's not best practice!

Also I would of scanned the vehicle prior commencing any work so i could support myself if this type of fault occurred.

Still think the repairer needs to do more testes!

Offline DDM

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2014, 08:50:36 pm »
I feel for the owner, nothing worse than this kind if workmanship. I wouldn't say his cambelt and water pump change was cheap either.