Make a donation

Author Topic: ITG Intake vs. OEM Airbox on Revo Stage 2+  (Read 31863 times)

Offline Janner_Sy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
Re: ITG Intake vs. OEM Airbox on Revo Stage 2+
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2009, 11:21:45 am »
Well before I had this Intake fitted, which if I remember correctly as I cant find the Dyno graph for it gave me 7bhp over Stock airbox, pipercorss panel filter and Carbon Air scoop whe running Bluefin stage 1@ the time

At AMD essex It ran 277bhp, 305Ibft. Bluefin stage 2+

The red line is the stage2+ plot

Since then this was fitted

And the results are as shown below.
As you can see

I had been giving the car quite a hardworkout on the way there then got caught in traffic and as you can see my first two runs wern't the best as my inlet temps were through the roof. Spo they left it with the fans on the car for a while to cool it down. he the 3rd run as you can see gave me 286bhp 301 Ibft

So 9bhp increase over the previous intake both at stage 2+, and peak torque was down which initially caught me by suprise until i looked and the entire rev range torque spread was better.
10Ibft more @2500rpm and a flatter plateau of torque between 3000rpm and 5700rpm.

What shaun mentioned as well which sounds about right to is that the intake will block the heat from the engine very well, whereas it doesnt show the real time benefits with the Bonnet up and a fan on it.

So Id guess that i have made about 16-18bhp over stock which is kwhat i was hopig for.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 11:32:41 am by simonskerton »

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2009, 11:36:47 am »
You do realise that your previous runs ambient temp was at 22 degrees C and this one was done at freezing.  :confused:

I would expect a difference tbh.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2009, 11:41:05 am »
Sh!t yeah, thats pissed me off now. would the correction factor cancel this out though. but then if the temp is entered wrong comared to ambient it doesnt matter i suppose.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2009, 11:42:31 am »
what effect would this have on the results do yo think. He emntioned theyare using new dyno software before i started. maybe a glitch possibly. im going to give him a call now i think

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2009, 11:45:53 am »

What shaun mentioned as well which sounds about right to is that the intake will block the heat from the engine very well, whereas it doesnt show the real time benefits with the Bonnet up and a fan on it.

....Shouldn't rolling-road runs always be done with the bonnet closed?

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2009, 11:47:12 am »
Thats the first time I have seen a bluefin graph and tbh from a enthusiasts point of view that power curve near the top of the rev range doesnt seem quite right, or desirable anyway.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2009, 11:49:12 am »
@poverty dont forget this is k03 not k04, we cant get the same top end results you do. Also differnt scales will make the plot lines look different some times

@RR Ive been to a few different ones now, some leave it closed others open. personal preference of the technician i guess

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2009, 11:49:31 am »

Yep, especially with the ITG kit as that's the way it's designed to work (hence the foam on the top of the battery box to help seal the area around the filter).

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2009, 11:51:38 am »
It would defiantely work in ITGs favour if it was closed compared to other intakes.

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2009, 11:52:23 am »
@poverty dont forget this is k03 not k04, we cant get the same top end results you do. Also differnt scales will make the plot lines look different some times

@RR Ive been to a few different ones now, some leave it closed others open. personal preference of the technician i guess

Yeah forgot that its a k03. But its odd where the power drops off and then spikes back up for a bit and then dies off again. Just wondering why that is?

Any other ITG owners going to the surrey rolling road?

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2009, 11:54:13 am »
I mgiht be coming. to that. So we will see the difference a different RR can make.

Ill be the first to say though that i dont think the bluefin is as good as revo. Im yet to drive a revo stage 2+ k03, but I have driven satge 2 revo K03s and thy were better. not by a huge amount but better none the less.

Offline cuprak1

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
  • Cupra k1 - 360 bhp/360 ft-lbs
    • London web design
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2009, 12:10:52 pm »
Wow  :congrats:

I think I need to get my pump sorted!  :party:

Group Buy Nath?  :grin:

hell yes  :drool:

SpeedStats iPhone app  - AVAILABLE NOW!
---------------------------------------
View my Cupra k1 project thread here! 360is

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2009, 12:15:57 pm »

Yep, especially with the ITG kit as that's the way it's designed to work (hence the foam on the top of the battery box to help seal the area around the filter).

....Much as I appreciate why that foam block is there to help seal, I just can't help the fact that I absolutely detest its appearance. OK on a race car perhaps - Because everything is just hacked about for purely functional reasons, but not acceptable on a road car IMHO.

ITG Andy, if you're reading this, pleeeeeease persuade ITG's bean-counters to give you the budget to resolve this to the same high standard of industrial design as the rest of your intake. Surely all you need do is to extend the heatshield joining the filter into an L-shape. Unless velcro'd there is a real risk of losing that crude block of foam (while servicing at a dealers for example). Furthermore, doesn't it interfere with quick access to the battery and fuse box? I'm sorry but I'm only giving my very honest opinion and it really spoils your product for me no matter how well it undoubtedly performs.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline cuprak1

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
  • Cupra k1 - 360 bhp/360 ft-lbs
    • London web design
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2009, 12:25:14 pm »
Ive always said thers no real difference between intakes... why spend over 300 quid for a product which can give same performance as one at the fraction of the price?

The itg kit is very nice and fits great but in my opinion is a tad over engineered and easily replicated with silicone and straigh pipes.

SpeedStats iPhone app  - AVAILABLE NOW!
---------------------------------------
View my Cupra k1 project thread here! 360is

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2009, 12:30:27 pm »

....Much as I appreciate why that foam block is there to help seal, I just can't help the fact that I absolutely detest its appearance. OK on a race car perhaps - Because everything is just hacked about for purely functional reasons, but not acceptable on a road car IMHO.

ITG Andy, if you're reading this, pleeeeeease persuade ITG's bean-counters to give you the budget to resolve this to the same high standard of industrial design as the rest of your intake. Surely all you need do is to extend the heatshield joining the filter into an L-shape. Unless velcro'd there is a real risk of losing that crude block of foam (while servicing at a dealers for example). Furthermore, doesn't it interfere with quick access to the battery and fuse box? I'm sorry but I'm only giving my very honest opinion and it really spoils your product for me no matter how well it undoubtedly performs.

All of us in attendance at the dyno day yesterday had a look conversation about this.

The reason it's made of foam is because it works and has nothing to do with the cost/budget/investment required to come up with something different.

The foam is tucked into the wing so it's really going anyway unless you want it to. The foam on the production kits is cut to size properly and not by Andy on the floor with a stanly knife  :grin: So IMHO it looks completely acceptable and is inkeeping with the rest of the parts of the kit.  :happy2: