Make a donation

Author Topic: ITG Intake vs. OEM Airbox on Revo Stage 2+  (Read 31893 times)

Offline SteveP

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
ITG Intake vs. OEM Airbox on Revo Stage 2+
« on: October 23, 2009, 09:31:50 pm »
Today I had a chance to try my car on the dyno running with the OEM airbox (with OEM paperfilter) vs. the new ITG Intake.

This was done the HLM Tuning with the help of Andy from ITG and Carl from Revo.

Also along today was Robern2 (Nath) to have his ITG intake fitted and the Revo Stage 2+ code loaded on his car.

The results have really really surprised me.

So background info first: -

The Car -

Edition 30 DSG fueled with Shell V-Power, running

Revo Stage 2+ ECU Software
Revo DSG Software
Milltek Turbo Back Exhaust
KMD HPFP
THS FMIC

The Settings: -

OEM Airbox = B8-T5-F9

ITG Intake (with Ceramic Pipes) = B8-T5-F6

The results (dyno figures for wheel power): -

These runs where back to back with the intake being swapped from the OEM to ITG with the car still on the dyno, it was then given a couple of minutes run to allow the car to adapt back to intake.

I will also post the boost log details once I receive these from Carl, but the key thing was the car just can't meet the requested boost from about 5.2k onwards with the OEM airbox, the difference was nearly 0.2 bar at some points IIRC.

It's worth pointing out this big difference in peak figures is because I am running the stage 2+ code which is move reliant on a good intake, but on stage 1 alone this should produce increases of around 15bhp  :smiley:

We also tried an ITG "touring car" spec foam filter (not suitable for normal road use), to see if this made any difference, but it only got 2 more bhp, so I doubt ITG will be offering this as an optional extra at this stage, but can be made for those track days or 1/4 mile runs.

So thanks to Hamish @ HLM, Andy @ ITG and Carl @ Revo for there help today  :drinking:

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
Re: ITG Intake vs. OEM Airbox on Revo Stage 2+
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 09:35:04 pm »
very interesting Steve, did carl make any tweaks to the Revo code at all?

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
    • My Project
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 09:40:25 pm »
very interesting Steve, did carl make any tweaks to the Revo code at all?

Nope just logging and settings  :happy2:

Offline KRL

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 29
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 09:43:07 pm »
Thanks Steve, great post  :happy2:

I'm curious.  Why did you change the fuel setting for the OEM intake to 9 and have it on 6 for the ITG?  I can't think of a reason why the OEM intake would not be able to cope with a fuel setting of 6 as you already have an uprated HPFP and this is the limitation when it comes to fueling.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 09:49:20 pm »
you have got to be kidding me :confused: :surprised: 43.1 bhp 15n/m torque increase between standard intake and the ITG thats absolutley nuts.

Did it really feel like that much of a difference when you initiallyt fitted.

I must admit when i fitted mine the car really hesitated and was really jerky until the ECU adapted to the new increassed air flow. I think i have had an increase but not quite that much, but then I did have another intake before hand.

Steve do you mind if i paste that dyno graph into my thread on brikoda.

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 09:52:07 pm »
Wow  :congrats:

I think I need to get my pump sorted!  :party:

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
    • My Project
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2009, 09:53:12 pm »
you have got to be kidding me :confused: :surprised: 43.1 bhp 15n/m torque increase between standard intake and the ITG thats absolutley nuts.

Did it really feel like that much of a difference when you initiallyt fitted.

I must admit when i fitted mine the car really hesitated and was really jerky until the ECU adapted to the new increassed air flow. I think i have had an increase but not quite that much, but then I did have another intake before hand.

Steve do you mind if i paste that dyno graph into my thread on brikoda.

I had a performance panel in before with the carbonio, but really noticed a big difference with the ITG at the top end  :happy2:

Feel free to link this thread rather than just the graph  :smiley:

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2009, 09:56:25 pm »
to be honest since fotting mine I havent gone over 4000 revs so maybve i havent felt the main improvments. I might pop out in a minute, lol

Offline chungster

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2009, 09:57:36 pm »
Thanks Steve, great post  :happy2:

I'm curious.  Why did you change the fuel setting for the OEM intake to 9 and have it on 6 for the ITG?  I can't think of a reason why the OEM intake would not be able to cope with a fuel setting of 6 as you already have an uprated HPFP and this is the limitation when it comes to fueling.

i don't think its about coping with F6 on the OEM airbox, more to do with ITG requires a richer mixture setting due to increased air flow capability at the top of the rev range (or else you could see it run too lean and start detting and things getting hot)

very impressive difference tho with just the ITG intake.

Offline KRL

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2009, 10:02:25 pm »
^ Yes that makes sense  :happy2:

Running F6 also means the car will pull back less timing as EGTs will be lower with a richer AFR and this could have contributed a little to the massive difference in power.  Still very impressive though.

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2009, 10:05:31 pm »
Is it possible to run the Revo ST2+ software with the OEM filter? I thought I had read recently it can't be done?  :confused:

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
    • My Project
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2009, 10:09:20 pm »
Is it possible to run the Revo ST2+ software with the OEM filter? I thought I had read recently it can't be done?  :confused:

Yes it's possible, but as my results show you aren't going to get much benefit without a good intake  :happy2:

Same for a better IC, if you look at robern2 graph you will see a dip towards the end of the rev range due to things starting to get a bit hot   :smiley:

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2009, 10:11:19 pm »

Yes it's possible, but as my results show you aren't going to get much benefit without a good intake  :happy2:

Same for a better IC, if you look at robern2 graph you will see a dip towards the end of the rev range due to things starting to get a bit hot   :smiley:

Ah I see, IC may have to wait for now but the pump I think is a must!  :wink: :happy2:

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2009, 10:39:18 pm »
i must admit the proof is there in the dyno and I dont doubt for a second the figures or results.

what i can t get though is how this has given  40bhp+ over stock yet

The evoms gives 8-12bhp,  The twintake is predicted to give only15-18bhp (as was this initially, and it was tested on the REVO leon on dyno's as well), .

Thats twice the amount which is pretty nuts. I dont doubt that the intake is good for a second. But 20bhp better :surprised:

there are alot of little design features that can put this intake ahead of the competition but I just cant get around the huge difference.

it is definately worth the money though, that is without doubt.

We need someonbe to test the twintake back to back with stock air box as well now.

Offline KRL

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2009, 10:51:33 pm »
what i can t get though is how this has given  40bhp+ over stock yet

The gains are certainly very impressive although I don't think it will all be down to the ITG.

1.  Firstly the difference in remap settings will have made a difference.  However it could be argued that without the intake you could not make these changes to the settings.

2.  Secondly ECU probably had not had time to fully adapt to the OEM intake.

Any way you look at it though the gains are excellent and are a credit to ITG for making such a great filter and a credit to revo for being adjustable enough to be able to take advantage of the filter.