Make a donation

Author Topic: ITG Intake vs. OEM Airbox on Revo Stage 2+  (Read 31939 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: ITG Intake vs. OEM Airbox on Revo Stage 2+
« Reply #60 on: October 24, 2009, 04:38:39 pm »

you could put in the TT battery as a direct Oem replacment, but IMO opinion bang for buck and aesthetics the twintake would be the better option i reckon.

As for the bit ontop of the battery. you could just take that out of the equation. Noother intake heatshield or not has had this before so it wont be that much of a loss. Id think the air coming in gfrom the grill should push most of the hot air away from the top of the battery area anyway

....Agreed, the TT battery (assuming it's smaller) wouldn't be worth it and might even open another can of worms. Personally I'm not so keen on the huge pythonesque Forge Twintake in spite of much lower cost.

I'd be inclined to only dump the 'atop battery' foam block seal which offends my eyes. But also add an air inlet and hose from the lower centre radiator grill or via my carbon foglight DRL panel. The idea being to flow more air over the ITG filter which would also serve to push hot air away as you suggest. In fact, this is suddenly a very attractive idea! Especially as this is available: -

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #61 on: October 24, 2009, 04:42:18 pm »
that would work perfectly, by creating a high pressure area around the filter it would remove the chance of hot air entering the filter area via the battery box

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #62 on: October 24, 2009, 04:50:28 pm »

..due to being Revo2 and Milltek TBE I would need to upgrade to an aftermarket HPFP (or turn down my Boost to 4) and I would only currently consider the APR (megabucks).

all the guys on k03 that i know who have had the revo stage 2+ have likened it to the equivalent of going from std to stage 1 again. your car is very very well setup to utilise the extra torque and power from stage 2+ code. wouldnt go with the APR pump personally. Autotech or KMD internals are the way forward. 1 hours labour, and 300 queen quids for the intenals vs 700 queen quids for the apr pump

....I'm not wishing to take this thread off topic too much but there are strong reasons why I would prefer the APR pump in spite of the extra cost. It's something which I have already looked into and had advice from someone whose opinions I take great notice of. Revo 2+ code is also going to increase stresses on my K03 FSI engine - Not dangerous stresses but just that everything will get pushed that much harder. I want longevity.

:happy2:

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #63 on: October 24, 2009, 04:54:33 pm »
One point to note, the TT's battery is in the boot already, hence the extra space under the bonnet for a different ITG kit  :smiley:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #64 on: October 24, 2009, 04:54:51 pm »

that would work perfectly, by creating a high pressure area around the filter it would remove the chance of hot air entering the filter area via the battery box

....It would make the car look pretty cool too. You know how much I love eye-candy. Now that would be function and form! :jumpmove:

But I told myself earlier in this thread that I didn't need more power!! :evilgrin:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #65 on: October 24, 2009, 04:55:43 pm »

One point to note, the TT's battery is in the boot already, hence the extra space under the bonnet for a different ITG kit  :smiley:

..... :laugh: A very important and very fundamental point! :drinking:

Offline chungster

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #66 on: October 24, 2009, 05:20:35 pm »
Stevep....

Have you done a cold air feed for the ITG, thru the inner wing etc??

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #67 on: October 24, 2009, 05:38:10 pm »
im going to pop outmy fog lights so as they are directly below the intake So might get away with not even requiring ducting for the minute.

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #68 on: October 24, 2009, 05:40:41 pm »
Stevep....

Have you done a cold air feed for the ITG, thru the inner wing etc??

nope not yet but I will be workingbon something for the future  :happy2:

Offline Oli

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 10
  • living the dream....
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: October 24, 2009, 07:14:42 pm »
Interesting results there. I would like a magazine to get one car, all the different intakes and a RR, and finally get some definative results for us. I have asked APS numerous times on this subject, even as recently as two weeks ago when my car was there, and they still swear by the carbonspeed intake. Ed has also mentioned he has done some comparisson tests between other intakes, and the carbonspeed came out on top(Although this was before the ITG intake came out). I will see if he can mail me his findings.
www.bmvs-camperhire.co.uk - Brand new VW California SE rental

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #70 on: October 24, 2009, 07:49:19 pm »
^^^^
What's a Carbonspeed intake, Oli? Surely not the same as the Carbonio?

Er? :confused: & :surprised: - It's a replica Carbonio, I just Google'd it. Ed's not the first to say that but I don't quite understand how a ram+flat panel intake can deliver more gains than a high-flow tubular system.

Perhaps I'll be keeping my Carbonio!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 07:54:04 pm by RedRobin »

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #71 on: October 24, 2009, 07:51:45 pm »
was just thinking that myself. \i had the carbonio and pipercross originally and it was very marginal the difference

Offline Oli

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 10
  • living the dream....
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: October 24, 2009, 08:06:01 pm »
I agree, but I have asked numerous times!
www.bmvs-camperhire.co.uk - Brand new VW California SE rental

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: October 24, 2009, 08:45:38 pm »
^^^^

Er? :confused: & :surprised: - It's a replica Carbonio, I just Google'd it. Ed's not the first to say that but I don't quite understand how a ram+flat panel intake can deliver more gains than a high-flow tubular system.

In fairness Robin thats all I had up until I had my ITG and my car always achieved superb numbers!  :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #74 on: October 24, 2009, 08:54:50 pm »
^^^^

In fairness Robin thats all I had up until I had my ITG and my car always achieved superb numbers!  :happy2:

....Yet so many people, especially across the pond, trash the Carbonio/Carbonspeed as merely being expensive carbonfibre eye-candy. When it first came out (I had one of the first in the UK) Revo were singing its praises. All it is is a more efficient than oem ram trumpet and a Pipercross flat panel filter in the stock box.