Make a donation

Poll

What front brake upgrades are you running?

Upgraded discs/pads (groved/cross-drilled with matching pads)
18 (14.9%)
Larger OEM R32/R20/S3/Cupra
47 (38.8%)
4 pot calipers
36 (29.8%)
6 pot calipers
10 (8.3%)
Beyond dreams (e.g. Lambo/R8 brakes)
10 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 121

Author Topic: POLL: War of the brakes  (Read 46237 times)

Offline th3_f15t

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 183
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101525.0.html
Re: POLL: War of the brakes
« Reply #120 on: July 10, 2014, 12:13:13 pm »
Looking at the price of some of the kits and add that too how much we spend modifying our cars. It would work out cheaper to buy a more expensive sports car with all these mods fitted as std :rolleye:

Maybe.......but where's the fun in that?

I could be wrong but I/we don't modify because we have too, it's because we want too!

No, we have to. How can we, as enthusiasts, allow our cars to be the same as all the other "normal" cars? We must modify in order to correct the compromises that came with the car from the factory.

That's my excuse anyway, working well so far.

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #121 on: July 10, 2014, 12:18:05 pm »
All this brake talk is very confusing... wanting to spend about £500 on some brakes, with discs, ideally Porsche 4 pots with a 312mm , up to a 345mm disc... rears I can just put to S3/R32 ones and that'll be fine..

Just need some better stopping power and a much firmer pedal.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=3tfn5c25olb7m9pcic5scqnasc&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #122 on: July 10, 2014, 12:21:46 pm »
All this brake talk is very confusing... wanting to spend about £500 on some brakes, with discs, ideally Porsche 4 pots with a 312mm , up to a 345mm disc... rears I can just put to S3/R32 ones and that'll be fine..

You may have a job with your merc wheels without running spacers.

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #123 on: July 10, 2014, 12:30:49 pm »

NQSBBK is your best bet Jay, a nice even, progressive pedal feel IMO. Good pads will bring a lot to the party too.

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline xjay1337

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 377
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,88399.0.html
« Reply #124 on: July 10, 2014, 12:38:54 pm »
When you say progressive pedal feel do you mean it has a lot of travel?

My car does stop but has pretty long pedal and I'd rather have a much firmer race car pedal lol

Offline rich83

• Thank You
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=3tfn5c25olb7m9pcic5scqnasc&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #125 on: July 10, 2014, 12:51:26 pm »

My car does stop but has pretty long pedal and I'd rather have a much firmer race car pedal lol

Ading bigger brakes with bigger pistons will only increase pedal travel. I think.

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #126 on: July 10, 2014, 12:55:27 pm »

Ading bigger brakes with bigger pistons will only increase pedal travel. I think.

Progressiv has nothing to do with travel, it's how the pads grips the disc, progressiv is imo the stock pads fitted to most roadgoing cars, it bites slowly in the start and you have to move the pedal more than expected to get a bite, whereas the linear ones ads bite according to the amount of pedal you give it.

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline rich83

• Thank You
    • MK5 Golf GTI
« Reply #127 on: July 10, 2014, 01:00:48 pm »
I didn't say it did.... Read the post above again. Jay said his pedal has lots of travel

Offline big eck

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #128 on: July 10, 2014, 04:06:33 pm »
Dave, how much are your bigger discs to buy???

Technically they're smaller, the kit retails at £1250 and that includes lines bolts carriers etc etc

Sounds a lot but mate that to some eBay TTRS calipers at 3-400£ and its a affordable BBK, if you want new calipers and some fast road Pagids it comes to just under £2k....

Much better value than the VWR kit that costs £600 to make and retails at £2.2k bonkers!

£1250 just for a set of discs is a lot of cash for a car that only sees the track a handful of times a year.

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #129 on: July 10, 2014, 04:25:08 pm »

By progressive I mean they don't snatch, are not jerky when called upon and indeed bite in a linear fashion. As I understand it with multiple pistons (albeit only 4) and the smaller piston gripping first followed by the larger one it feels smooth. And there's no long pedal travel, or at least not with mine.

:happy2:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #130 on: July 10, 2014, 05:22:39 pm »
Dave, how much are your bigger discs to buy???

Technically they're smaller, the kit retails at £1250 and that includes lines bolts carriers etc etc

Sounds a lot but mate that to some eBay TTRS calipers at 3-400£ and its a affordable BBK, if you want new calipers and some fast road Pagids it comes to just under £2k....

Much better value than the VWR kit that costs £600 to make and retails at £2.2k bonkers!

£1250 just for a set of discs is a lot of cash for a car that only sees the track a handful of times a year.

Well as I said its not just discs and to be honest you need a reason to buy the AP Stuff, it started life as a TTRS replacement kit some guys were going through stock rotors in 3 weeks now you either take your 40k TTRS off the road or buy stock again or upgrade. Theres not just none available that work theres Tarox and some guy from the US thats making some weird and wonderful assembly...in fairness they've all been tried on track and have been found wanting.

Theres just no point doing a track day in a TTRS with stock brakes, you won't make it till the afternoon session....

Buying a set of AP's for a 11k Edition 30 is a major commitment, maybe not so much for a 13 plate TTRS worth 35K.

Theres 200 TT Kits out there, some have found there way into Mk5/6/7 and others but generally its a way of just not worrying about brakes and people end up worrying about a lack of power and crap tyres....

Its quality stuff, race car quality castings and heat treatments, CNC alloy bracketry and bells, fixings from a GT Car and a bell design straight from a LMP car it all costs to manufacture in the UK and assemble. Its a whole load better than the VWR Kit which is considering what you end up with is a crazy price.

If you want to put some red calipers with those APs it'll be another £600 pagid blues £240, add it all together and its still less than the VWR kit or a Brembo Kit with solid discs

That said you need a reason to buy AP but if you have the requirement theres little choice....

Offline big eck

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #131 on: July 10, 2014, 06:09:01 pm »
You've hit the nail in the head with the commitment of paying serious wedge for brakes on a car that's worth around £12k.

I only do the 2-4hr open pit sessions a few times a year so I think the DB9 calipers coupled with my standard 345mm discs is plenty enough. I hope it is anyways.

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #132 on: July 10, 2014, 06:37:27 pm »
You've hit the nail in the head with the commitment of paying serious wedge for brakes on a car that's worth around £12k.

I only do the 2-4hr open pit sessions a few times a year so I think the DB9 calipers coupled with my standard 345mm discs is plenty enough. I hope it is anyways.

Cool let us know how you get on, theres nobody trying to sell vast amounts of the AP stuff Ive always said theres a cheaper alternative, good story though - Darius Loba of Loba Motorsport has a good friend who does all the special 5 axis compressor wheel machining for Loba themselves, he gets his son a TTRS...fits AP brakes and Pagid Blues and did 42 track laps back to back. He was a novice (he had a full tank), pads were flattened, in one day, he actually came in because he was running out of fuel (about 120 miles lol)

My point is that he knocked 11 seconds of his lap time that afternoon with some braking capability and heat headroom, now don't get me wrong he'd done maybe 1 or two track days previously but it demonstrates what can be done in terms of enjoyment when you've confidence in a car that will stop reliably

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 183
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101525.0.html
« Reply #133 on: July 11, 2014, 06:48:29 pm »
Coming away from the realms of 4 piston calipers, what's a good set of grooved 345mm discs for the S3/R32 setup? Also pads...

Main reason I ask is that after coming away from this thread I realised I have no need for 4 piston CALIPERs just yet but some decent discs and pads for stage 2 will do (as well as S3 rears).

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

Offline TommyR

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 20
  • Black Edition 30
« Reply #134 on: July 11, 2014, 08:53:17 pm »
Coming away from the realms of 4 piston calipers, what's a good set of grooved 345mm discs for the S3/R32 setup? Also pads...

Main reason I ask is that after coming away from this thread I realised I have no need for 4 piston CALIPERs just yet but some decent discs and pads for stage 2 will do (as well as S3 rears).

Get TTS 340's lighter and no lip...