Make a donation

Author Topic: Fault Code Reader for Mk 5 GTI  (Read 5619 times)

Offline Broomy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 2
Fault Code Reader for Mk 5 GTI
« on: June 15, 2014, 01:27:50 am »
Looking for a cheapish fault code reader for my GTI. Bought a d900 but it won't communicate so need help from anyone who knows of a cheapy one that will read & clear codes. Not after hooky vagcom or paying £250 for Ross tech, just a basic one for occasional use.

Anyone?

Offline Degudodger

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 86
    • Flickr
Re: Fault Code Reader for Mk 5 GTI
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 10:50:10 am »
If its just going to be for occasional use i would suggest finding a local forum user with VCDS, most (me included) only charge beer tokens for scans and basic mods.  :smiley:
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,120.0.html
2016 Mk7 Golf GTD - Reflex Silver with stuff.

VCDS Hex+Can - Will code for beer!

Offline Broomy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 08:41:28 pm »
Really after one to keep in the car for emergencies buddy but thanks. Not want to edit code or anything just if something goes I like to know straight away what's up.

Offline doylebros

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 08:45:48 pm »
Really after one to keep in the car for emergencies buddy but thanks. Not want to edit code or anything just if something goes I like to know straight away what's up.

This any good to you?

http://reviews.argos.co.uk/1493-en_gb/7402759/reviews.htm

Missed this link off
http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/rac-car-fault-reader-44-99-was-88-99-argos-1437267
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 08:47:39 pm by doylebros »

Offline dajonic

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2014, 10:05:42 pm »
If you're just after something basic pick yourself up one of the bluetooth units which you connect to an app on your phone. I've got the ross tech kit but I bought the blutooth for my other  and families cars and it works perfectly across several different makes and models. Think the module off ebay is a tenner and the android app was free. App is called torque-bhp i think with an image of an engine with obd check written across and underneath it. reads codes, does logging too i think, graphs, g meters all that sort of stuff. Wouldn't take it for granted though but as a cheap bit of kit that will give you an idea of whats going on with the car you can't go wrong. Slight change to earlier note...I think the app might have cost £2.99 ish. Still cheap!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 10:10:11 pm by dajonic »