Make a donation

Author Topic: Timing belt/chain noise...  (Read 4492 times)

Offline mrggg

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 2
Timing belt/chain noise...
« on: June 16, 2014, 09:49:38 pm »
Hi I know this has been asked before but just wanted to make certain before visiting the stealers.

The car has started making this noise over the weekend:

I am kind of scared to drive it, but I have heard that a lot of people drive it with this squeeling noise and rattle noise and apparently its normal? It seems to be coming from the left hand side of the engine on the bottom hand corner there is a belt and a grey metal box.. This happens when I start the engine and also whilst at the traffic lights I can hear a noise which I believe is the belt or chain going round and round.
Sorry I have no idea about the engine, I have been trying to find a diagram online but cant  :indifferent:

So I just want to confirm is this most likely to be the timing chain or timing belt? Could it be anything else? Is it ok to drive the car like this or should I get it fixed ASAP?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 09:52:21 pm by mrggg »

Offline mrggg

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
Re: Timing belt/chain noise...
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 12:13:08 am »
Bump  :sad1:

Offline bacillus

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 08:25:00 am »
I had a similar sort of noise after changing the timing belt including tensioner and roller.
Turned out to be the tensioner for the auxiliary belt that drives the alternator. I suggest you look at that belt, its tensioner and also check the alternator clutch pulley.

Just an after thought but did you use a genuine VW timing belt replacement kit?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 08:40:55 am by bacillus »
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline mrggg

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 02:32:47 pm »
Thank You, really appreciate that info. The car was fitted with a contitech timing belt kit, which is made by continental. Before I bought the car I checked this out and apparently it was not an issue as continental make good timing belts.