Make a donation

Author Topic: When to re-spray? Cost?  (Read 1238 times)

Offline berg

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
When to re-spray? Cost?
« on: June 17, 2014, 12:28:35 pm »
Looking at my Eddie there are a few stone chips on bonnet and front bumper. Not bothered about the splitter as I have a spare mint one to just bolt on if was ever going to  a show or in preparation of selling up. 

Question I have is if you get the bonnet and front bumper re-sprayed is it always a good idea ie will it perfectly blend in with origianl piant or will people in the know realise and possibly think there has been accident damage? Do you have to blend into the wings also to make it a proper job? 

Has anyone done this and likely cost of job etc?

thanks
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline Hevoshullu

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
Re: When to re-spray? Cost?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 12:59:30 pm »
I had the front of my GTI (Tornado Red) resprayed some time ago because of stone chips (50k miles worth of them..).

I had mine done at a respected paintshop here in Finland and the guys there said it won't be a good idea just to do the bonnet. The reason being as you also explained, the color wouldn't match with the wings even half decently. Apparently this kind of red is one of the most difficult colors for respraying because matching colors can be a real pain in the a**..
They did the bonnet and blended the same color onto the wings so now from my car you'd have to know beforehand that the front has been resprayed before being able spot any color difference, and even then it is virtually impossible under most light. I am very happy with the results.  :happy2: Also, I think you will have some chips in your wings too so it is a good plan cover them up at the same time, right?

Generally everything in Finland is very expensive (at least cars and everything related to them) so I don't know if it helps but the respray of my bonnet with blending the wings in cost me 400 euros or 320 in your money. :) I didn't have the front bumper resprayed though as somehow it has no stone chips whatsoever.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 01:03:37 pm by Hevoshullu »