Make a donation

Author Topic: Gti grill honeycomb bit colour  (Read 4148 times)

Offline Airz182

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
Gti grill honeycomb bit colour
« on: June 25, 2014, 09:24:07 pm »
Thinking of doin my vw badge black, but looking at my honeycomb grill thats surrounds the vw badge, mine looks more grey/blue tinge to it, so a black vw sign would
Look outta place against the grill,
Is the honeycomb bit supposed to be that colour or is it supposed to be black?
Instagram- airz182

Offline Frenzy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 29
Re: Gti grill honeycomb bit colour
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 10:19:50 pm »
 :grin:

supposed to be black, sounds like yours has faded but there are products you can use to help restore it back to its former glory - check out the detailing section.  :happy2:

Offline Airz182

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 11:22:57 pm »
Cheers mate, was thinking i may have a non genuine grill, might paint the grill gloss black while doin the badge
Instagram- airz182

Offline Chris92

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 35
  • If you're smart in this world they call you crazy
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,109742.0.html
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 11:36:39 pm »
Go into the detailing section and look for a thread I started about the honey comb grill, it should be on the first page still. Few products people suggested some products and in the end I went for the 303 aero space protectant, I applied it just last weekend and it still looks great. Hopefully it will last a good 2/3 week, their is more durable products to.

Offline Frenzy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 11:09:27 am »
Cheers mate, was thinking i may have a non genuine grill, might paint the grill gloss black while doin the badge

Na it will be genuine. Mine does it if i neglect it, speaking of which i probably should get out there give mine a clean and put some Poorboys trim restorer on it - problem is it is the most PITA job you can do when it comes to cleaning the car...  :sad1:

Offline Frenzy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 07:27:09 pm »
Laughing at your question got me thinking about my grill and exactly what condition it was in....  :ashamed:

Suffice to say it required some TLC  :scared: this is how it looked before using Poorboy's APC:

So i set to work with Meg's QD to ensure a workable clean surface and then went back over the grill, getting into all those wonderful honeycombs with the Poorboy's APC. Once applied I buffed it off with a fresh dry microfibre cloth.

This is one half of the upper grill done (compare and contrast for a before and after):

And this is job [nearly] done:
EDIT this is actually a wider shot of half the grill done and half of the grill in poor condition - thought my workmanship was looking a bit shoddy compared with my usual standards  :scared:  :grin:

Or at least job done for now because it's such a mind numbing task. Having spent about an hour on the upper section of the grill (it was in a poor condition not only colour-wise but also in terms of grit and dirt build up in all the cracks and crevices) I couldn't bring myself to tackle the bottom section so I'll leave that for tomorrow.  :popcornsoda:

That should last for about a month or so before it slowly begins to fade once more. There are more expensive products than the Poorboy's stuff which are supposed to last longer and maybe achieve a better colour restoration - check out the Detailling section for more information.  :happy2:

Looking at the photos i'll probably have to go over it again to see if i can get a slightly better finish. It's much better than it was but once you start improving something the goal quickly becomes perfection or as close as damn it!  :laugh: EDIT: Just realised what i thought was the final finish picture is actually the half way stage showing off one side which has been done vs the other which is still to be cleaned and APC'd!  :laugh:
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 08:00:33 pm by Frenzy »

Offline Airz182

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 08:58:05 pm »
Looks good mate, will give it ago, if that fails just going to satin black it!
Instagram- airz182

Offline Frenzy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 09:51:58 pm »
cheers, all the best with your attempt  :drinking:

MPS

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2014, 12:56:02 pm »
No pics but mine was faded a funny blue grey colour just like yours so I used a magic eraser (melamine foam). Wasn't holding out much hope but it worked really well and got all the blue discolouration off. It's a faff going around all the honeycomb but persevere and it's worth it in the end. :laugh:

http://home.howstuffworks.com/magic-eraser1.htm
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 01:09:56 pm by MPS »

Offline Frenzy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2014, 04:38:12 pm »
Got any pics MPS?

Offline Wooosh

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 87
  • Factory ponies.
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2014, 08:38:27 pm »
Or you could get the honeycomb sprayed Gloss Black to match your VW emblem. :happy2:
Stage 2 MK5 GTI Revo GONE
Stage 1+ MK5 GTI R-Tech GONE
Stage 2 MK5 GTI Edition 30 GoAPR