Make a donation

Author Topic: Its time to move on..  (Read 11436 times)

Offline richtung

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 56
    • Email
Re: Its time to move on..
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2014, 08:53:02 am »
get a VW Touran. 

Would touch a 1.4TFSI if you want reliability

I fear the Touran is too big for the Mrs..
Are there common problems with the 1.4TFSI Engine?

If you're having a family, I'd seriously consider a bigger A4/3series sized estate - you'll struggle with a hatchback.

Modern buggies are huge, then add associated baby tat, shopping etc. It's staggering!

If it was my choice, I would go for an A4 or Passat but anything larger than a Golf would be too big for the Mrs - she has trouble parking the Corsa at the best of times!

Does it have to be petrol Rich?

A 1.8T A4 avant or similar might give you plenty of space with 40mpg and a bit of poke.

Personally I'd take the 2.0TDI of any flavour over the smaller petrol units that VAG offer, unless it's a particularly smaller/lighter car which doesn't seem to be what you're looking for  :happy2:

It doesn't have to be a Petrol as such - I only do maybe 15 miles a day to/from work so didn't think I warranted a diesel.. However, I will look at the 2.0 TDI - is there a variant I should avoid?

I had an A3 with the 1.6MPI engine and it wasn't totally awful but I drove a 1.4T courtesy car and it was much better. There's only 15bhp or so different, but the 1.4T is a much more modern engine and it feels it - far more torquey and responsive. The down side is that it is very diesel sounding, more so than a 2.0T I think.

Both of my A3s have been 3 doors, but my fiancee has a Sportback at present. I'm not overly convinced you'll feel much of a difference in practicality between an 8P A3 Sportback and a 5 door Golf Mk5/6.

I really love 8Ps but I'm genuinely not convinced that they are better than a Mk6 Golf. The interior is definitely better in terms of fit and finish than a Mk5, but the Mk6 runs it much closer. The real advantage of the Mk5/6 however is the infotainment systems. FIS is better than Audi's DIS, the multi function steering wheel is far better in terms of functionality and RNS-510 is leagues ahead of RNS-E. RNS-E is also far more stealable because it comes out with 4 keys rather than needing to unscrew the top of the dash in the Golf. 

Additionally, if the 8P is meant to be a family car it's worth considering that the 8P only had a 4-star NCAP safety rating to the Mk6's 5 star.

Thanks - some very informative stuff! If the MK6 Golf boot is similar to the MK5 Golf than we would need something bigger (the main reason for looking at the A3 Sportback)

Offline rdfcpete

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2014, 03:35:11 pm »
Does it have to be petrol Rich?

A 1.8T A4 avant or similar might give you plenty of space with 40mpg and a bit of poke.

Personally I'd take the 2.0TDI of any flavour over the smaller petrol units that VAG offer, unless it's a particularly smaller/lighter car which doesn't seem to be what you're looking for  :happy2:

It doesn't have to be a Petrol as such - I only do maybe 15 miles a day to/from work so didn't think I warranted a diesel.. However, I will look at the 2.0 TDI - is there a variant I should avoid?

You're probably right, maybe you don't. I do 24 miles a day and I certainly do justify one, after lots of calculations.

To avoid - Yes, the earlier ones or PD engine as they're known.

The CR (common rail) 2.0 TDI which were used from late 2008/early 2009 onwards are very good. The 140hp 2.0 CR TDI is probably the pick for economy and with family in mind. The torque makes it feel nippy enough for all round use.

If you want to stick with the 'TFSI logic and proven ground' and you can budget for a petrol then by all means - the A4 1.8T had the dual pipe exhausts on the estate too which was smart.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/audi/a4/6055/audi-a4-avant-18t-se-pictures/page/1/0
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2014, 08:28:39 am »
What you have to bare in mind with a 2.0TDI is the dreaded diesel particulate filter (DPF). It isn't an issue if you are doing journeys of over 15-20 miles at a time, but if you are doing regular short journeys, the DPF clogs up and quickly stifles the power. In the worst cases it clogs completely, stalling the car. Aftermarket guys love this as it results in either a DPF replacement or for those who like power, a DPF removal and map.

Just something to consider.
Golf R gone.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=vntuk49kgov6o10l59bhrv4emr&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2014, 08:35:23 am »
15 miles a day.... Don't even consider a diesel.  :happy2:

Offline richtung

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2014, 08:36:45 am »
Just to keep you updated on this thread.

Pete suggested the A4 1.8T which I've looked at. I quickly learnt there are 2 versions, the 115BHP and 160BHP. Are these engines the same but in different states of tune? Im leaning toward the 160BHP version as I fear the 115bhp might be a little underpowered.

Any known reliability issues with the 1.8T engine?

Thanks

Rich

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2014, 12:38:44 pm »
Just to keep you updated on this thread.

Pete suggested the A4 1.8T which I've looked at. I quickly learnt there are 2 versions, the 115BHP and 160BHP. Are these engines the same but in different states of tune? Im leaning toward the 160BHP version as I fear the 115bhp might be a little underpowered.

Any known reliability issues with the 1.8T engine?

Thanks

Rich

Make sure you do all your research and test drives mate, bear in mind I'm solely suggesting that engine on the little I know of your situation & needs and also based on a twenty minute test drive I had in a 2011 1.8T 160ps Audi A3 Black Edition 3 door 6speed Manual when I was looking for my Black Edition. I'd quickly forget the 115ps if I was you, that must be dire in a car the size of the A4  :ashamed: :chicken:

It drove well, noticeably slower than my MY06 MK5 Golf k03 GTI but not too slow to drive every day. With a map, I think it would've been similar pace.
Not sure on economy in a heavier car but the figures claim it'll do 40mpg combined for the 160PS A4 1.8 TFSI Avant. I managed about 34mpg on a short run around town and dual carriageways in that A3 BE which wasn't bad.

I don't know of any horrors in the 1.8 TFSI engine but Audi A4 and A5 forums will expose a better account of the truth there. It wasn't as common an engine as the fleet and lease popular 2.0 TDI's, so they won't be as tried, abused and tested as the latter perhaps?

P.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 12:40:47 pm by rdfcpete »
Pete

Offline mdmay

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 14
    • Email
Re:
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2014, 12:49:41 pm »
The 1.8 tfsi ea888 engine remaps very well and is economical. My 2.0 ea888 with k04 is fairly economic a lot more than my Leon cupra
Regards,

Mike

Offline richtung

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2014, 07:37:24 pm »
After deciding that the A4 must be S-Line trim and DSG/Multitronic (or whatever Call it), Im pretty much stuck between the 1.8T or the 2.0 TDI (143).

The first thing ive discovered is that there arent many 1.8T's about in the spec im after!

If we are doing 15 miles a day, plus any long distance stuff at the weekend, i can get my petrol hit with the ED30 at the weekends..

What are your thoughts?

Rich

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2014, 08:26:50 pm »
If your keeping the Ed30 and you do a lot of touring etc go for the diesel Rich

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2014, 08:38:25 pm »
^ I wouldn't disagree with Andy there, tbh.

15 miles a week is probably just under the 'diesel justification' limit, however my approach has been that I simply ensure I 'clear out' the DPF manually at least once a fortnight to avoid any DPF issues. This is simply; let the car warm up as normal, take it for a short 'hot' drive revving freely through the gears to motorway speeds, then let it cool down before turning off to allow the turbo it's normal cool time. You don't need to go far.

I took mine on track a week ago Saturday and it only did one forced DPF Regen when the engine was up to temp after my first four or so laps, which I let it do as obviously oil temp was well over 100 degrees celcius. I used just under half a tank for around 34 laps, 50% of those being fairly flat out laps at Bedford.

This strategy has worked nicely for me absolutely trouble free for 2 years as of next month. I've interrupted auto DPF regens too and it's not given me the slightest of issues so far in over 25,000 miles.

Quite frankly if I ever get DPF issues, I'll take a trip to Alex and he can AKS-Tuning the Audi's DPF  :evilgrin:
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 08:40:19 pm by rdfcpete »
Pete

Offline richtung

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2014, 11:21:25 pm »
Thanks for the input guys.. I am leaning toward the 2.0 TDI 143 - Its the only diesel available with multitronic - the 170bhp version is manual only for some reason  :stupid:

Offline Beddie

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 76
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2014, 11:22:51 pm »
Rich, don't confuse DSG (S-Tronic in Audi speak) with the Multitronic box, the latter is a woeful CVT type job with a less than reliable reputation...  :sick:

Tornado Red ED30 : Number 1644 - Gone

Carbon Grey Edition 35 - Here

Offline richtung

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2014, 08:12:51 am »
Rich, don't confuse DSG (S-Tronic in Audi speak) with the Multitronic box, the latter is a woeful CVT type job with a less than reliable reputation...  :sick:

Cheers Beddie! I did wonder what the difference was between the different terms. So, i need to look out for S-Tronic.. cool

Thanks

Rich

Edit: just done a bit of reading.. seems like the B8 A4 2.0 TDI isnt available with S-Tronic - Multitronic only  :sick:

Would i be right in saying the Passat (B7) shares the same platform as the Audi A4? I guess if i went for the 2.0 TDI 170 Passat in DSG, i would save a bit of money...
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 08:38:19 am by richtung »

Offline skard

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 245
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,62636
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2014, 08:43:25 am »
My mate had an A4 B8 Avant. (143 CR), very nice but they are big cars.

I have a 2.0 CR in our Tiguan, great engine. The wife has been on maternity all year but on last months MOT I got an advisory as the emissions were not enough to register.
A regular thrashing when warm will keep the DPF happy when not doing daily miles. Forte also do a very good additive.
Used to have Edition 30 - number 009 and a GT TDI 140.
Now have an S4 B8 Avant (stage 2)

Offline skard

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 245
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,62636
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2014, 08:44:02 am »
The Seat Exeo is based on the A4 B8 too
Used to have Edition 30 - number 009 and a GT TDI 140.
Now have an S4 B8 Avant (stage 2)