Make a donation

Author Topic: new turbo/intercooler hoses  (Read 633 times)

Offline Meallbhan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
new turbo/intercooler hoses
« on: June 29, 2014, 08:19:02 pm »
Hi all, I've been looking around for some new turbo hoses for the car (2005 GTI), but I'm coming up blank.  I'm hearing leaks from somewhere  and would like to replace the hoses all the way from the turbo to the intercooler. In my searches all I can find is the set of 3 or 4 hoses, like forge, but they are only the short bottom ones. The only full length ones I can find I think are nuspeed but they're way to dear.

Is the anything someone can suggest thats not going to blow the bank and will suit what I need?  Also I'm reading something about an oem sound amplifier in a pipe near the turbo. What is this and is it needed in the new pipes?

oh, if it matters the car has revo stage 1.

Thanks

Offline th3_f15t

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 183
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101525.0.html
Re: new turbo/intercooler hoses
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 09:04:31 pm »
One thing to do is to find the leaking pipe and also check your diverter valve (DV) if you have your car up on the ramps at all. The DV is a known weak spot and the rubber diaphragm perishes and fails, causing a boost leak. Once you've found the problem, look at the part itself for a part number. You can then take that to a main dealer parts desk or TPS (if you've got contacts) and get an OEM replacement. No point swapping all the turbo pipes over pointlessly as it's a waste of time unless you're running serious boost (stage 2+ really).

Hope this helps.

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

Offline Meallbhan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 09:22:20 pm »
Thanks for that. The diverter valve is the new one with the orandge rubber, I replaced it 2 years ago and checked it the other weekend just incase. Its all fine, no holes or cracks.

One of the reasons to replace the whole lot is that there is so many joins in all the pipe work, how on earth do u find if theres a leak? Also where the pipes attach to the intercooler they have slightly ballooned and the rubber is very squishy so thought it best to just replace everythinng. Theres a very small amount of oil at these 2 joints too, probably needs new o-rings there.

Offline th3_f15t

• Thank You
  • -Given: 66
  • -Receive: 183
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,101525.0.html
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 11:24:57 pm »
I suppose if your pipes are a bit naff then replace the lot. Finding a leak might be difficult but just look and feel the pipes best youcan. Its a black art fault finding splits in air pipes!

Moving over to Flickr, sorry for the broken picture links!

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 12:22:43 am »
One of the reasons to replace the whole lot is that there is so many joins in all the pipe work, how on earth do u find if theres a leak?

Smoke test
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline Meallbhan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 08:49:25 pm »
I wonder if a spray bottle with a water/fairy mix would work?

Whats a smoke test?