Make a donation

Author Topic: Low oil level apparently...  (Read 6054 times)

Offline Danbear79

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
Low oil level apparently...
« on: July 09, 2014, 08:53:46 am »
Hi chaps. This morning my low oil level check light came on.  I immediately thought it was weird because I check my oil twice a week. The dipstick reads between 1/2 and 3/4 on the stick, so I wouldn't of thought it was dangerously low. The oil is golden clean even after 5k miles. Now I think it's more of a sensor issue personally, as it has plenty of oil. I also understand that there is a separate light for low oil pressure, so that's not the problem. Any words of wisdom?

Offline SurreyED30

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 37
  • -Receive: 32
Re: Low oil level apparently...
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 08:59:12 am »
people have recently, including me,  changed there oil pick up pipe, however I cant remember if the reason was low oil readings or oil pressure light. I changed mine as a precautionary measure as I was having a engine flush and fresh oil put in the same week this issue was brought to light by a few members.

If I am right ^ then the pick up pipe + O ring and bolts was under £33 and if your handy with a set of tools you can do it yourself at home but obviously you'll need new oil, filter and sump sealant to refit the sump.

hopefully someone will come along and correct me or give me the thumbs up  :happy2: anyway good luck with it ! hopefully its a cheap fix  :innocent:
Edition 30 build No:692 Revo stage 2 SOLD
Edition 30 build No:440 Stage 1 SOLD

Offline Danbear79

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 09:09:27 am »
Thanks for the quick reply bud. I had a 20v turbo passat that had the dreaded oil sludge problem, but I fixed it. I remember that having a low oil pressure light for that though, and a STOP engine message. 

Offline Matto

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 116
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,37071.0.html
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 09:54:12 am »
It could be the sensor. I had to replace the one on mine which cured it. You will also find it is tied in with the bonnet switch so it knows you have been in there to check. I knew the oil level was ok so used to just open the bpnnet for a few seconds and close again to get rid of the warning then had the sensor changed during the next service.

Offline Danbear79

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 10:14:38 am »
Cheers mate. I think I'll change the oil this weekend with a new sensor and pickup pipe for peace of mind. Just been out to check it again, and the light has gone off. It didn't even come on after a 7 mile drive. Silly modern cars!  This is why I loved my old 325 E30's haha.

Offline Matto

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 10:20:40 am »
Yeah you could do the oil pick-up pipe for piece of mind but think you get the oil pressure warning with that not oil level. Yeah mine was intermittent. Most of the time it would be just as I started the car it would pop up. I have a Polar FIS which gives you the oil level in MM and it would always be the same so decided to change the sensor  :happy2:

Offline Danbear79

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 10:27:31 am »
Where's best to get a new sensor? I always try and use genuine parts if possible, but I don't fancy paying dealer prices

Offline SurreyED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 37
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 10:31:37 am »
TPS
Edition 30 build No:692 Revo stage 2 SOLD
Edition 30 build No:440 Stage 1 SOLD

Offline mac456

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 11:26:49 am »
I had this and it was the pick up pipe, once changed the light never came back.

Offline Danbear79

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2014, 11:30:05 am »
Did you just get the low oil level light, or did you get the red low oil pressure light?

Offline mac456

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2014, 11:44:32 am »
No just the low level (yellow/amber) light

It only came on the once while driving to work in the morning (oil level was fine)

I took it straight to the garage at lunch (the light was off during the drive)

The garage said the pickup was clogged so we replaced it and it has been fine ever since (12k miles)

I had a mk4 before this so I knew about the issue on those engines (1.8t) and didnt want to take any risks plus I not long had the car at the time.

Offline Danbear79

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2014, 11:51:57 am »
Ok cool. I'll get that sorted. Don't see how the level sensor can pick up on low oil pressure though, but I'm not risking it

Offline Matto

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2014, 12:15:43 pm »
Ok cool. I'll get that sorted. Don't see how the level sensor can pick up on low oil pressure though, but I'm not risking it

I can't either. The sensor in the sump is the one that does oil level and temperature. Also know as a TOG sensor.

Offline Danbear79

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2014, 12:32:47 pm »
Although my gti has just hit the 100k mark. It's been serviced every 10k by vw up to 86k. Since then it's been done twice. Once by the previous owner and then me when I got the car as i always do when I get a new car. I don't see how it can be a sludge issue with these regular services. If just gonna give it another service and change the oil and filter plus the level sensor. Oh and check the switch on the bonnet catch