Make a donation

Author Topic: Why so much hate for air suspension?  (Read 6404 times)

Offline George10

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 18
Why so much hate for air suspension?
« on: July 16, 2014, 11:44:46 am »
There's probably been a thread about this before but oh well

thought I'd see why people slate air suspension? Reasons?

Before you all  go on about handling etc it has been proven to be better than coils (accuair proved this on their s4)

« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 11:51:46 am by George10 »

Offline jaffa

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 44
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,90080.0.html
Re: Why so much hate for air suspension?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 11:59:43 am »
I don't hate it I'm just bored of it tbh

I much prefer a static low car with a perfect setup to run low instead of bags

Obviously bags are practical but for me it's static>bags any day.

If I used my car for more than 2 days a week I'd have to have bags but I drive a horrible citreon van for work

dansmith180

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 12:05:57 pm »
I really like air when someone puts the time in to get a really nice fitment, but when it's just stuck on any old crap it sort of ruins it for me, I also don't understand airing a car with small wheels to get it on the floor, I think it's just looks a bit silly with the massive arch gaps either side of the wheel. But the whole point of modifying cars is that everybody has their own style and preferences, there's plenty of people that won't like what I've done to my car, each to their own.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=ja3amuoniin6s4q4ctd4iq863q&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 12:57:37 pm »

Before you all  go on about handling etc it has been proven to be better than coils (accuair proved this on their s4)

That just like Michelin proving their tyres are better than Goodyear.......

Why dont F1 cars use air ride?
Why dont BTCC cars use air ride?
Why dont Rally cars use air ride?

It has its place... and that place is at car shows so people can get a semi on because you've "Laid frame".

Offline Pikey Motorsports

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 01:06:38 pm »
It does not handle better then coilovers.. Bilstein, kw, ohlins etc would be using it and im sure they are certainley not listening to accuairs review

It will go out in a few years just like badboy bonnets, and neons of the maxpower days! It just looks stupid imo, but obviously everyone has there own interests in cars

If your into shows etc and parking up and letting people admire a very clean car i understand if thats your thing.. Not a good look when the wheel doesnt fit nice with the arch aswell, when fitted with an average fitting wheel and you cant see half the wheel its not a good look lol
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 01:21:32 pm by Pikey Motorsports »
TSR PERFORMANCE GTX30 520BHP
LITCHFIELD R35 GT-R 660BHP
MSL E63 AMG 720BHP
HCP BM3 M5 800BHP

Offline JoeDarKa

• Thank You
  • -Given: 57
  • -Receive: 73
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 01:50:28 pm »
The fact that accuair say it handles better than coilovers is the reason not to believe them. Not exactly going to say it handles terribly are they?

I would still have air suspension though

GT Sport - Reflex Silver 2.0 TDI My Build

Offline George10

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2014, 02:04:17 pm »

That just like Michelin proving their tyres are better than Goodyear.......

Why dont F1 cars use air ride?
Why dont BTCC cars use air ride?
Why dont Rally cars use air ride?

It has its place... and that place is at car shows so people can get a semi on because you've "Laid frame".
So what does any of that have to do with why people hate air so much? You just listed a bunch of cars which don't use it.

Get a semi on  :grin:
It does not handle better then coilovers.. Bilstein, kw, ohlins etc would be using it and im sure they are certainley not listening to accuairs review

It will go out in a few years just like badboy bonnets, and neons of the maxpower days! It just looks stupid imo, but obviously everyone has there own interests in cars

If your into shows etc and parking up and letting people admire a very clean car i understand if thats your thing.. Not a good look when the wheel doesnt fit nice with the arch aswell, when fitted with an average fitting wheel and you cant see half the wheel its not a good look lol
Well they certainly proved it in a video.

Yeah there's clearly a preference to what suspension people wanna use. Also, this won't be a phase like neon lights and bad boy bonnets. As this actually changes the whole look of the car, not a tacky mod.

I started this thread because everyone seems to slate air and not give it enough praise. I'm sure
If it was more affordable people would buy it. I've had both and I'd rather air die to destroying your car everytime
You come a speed bump.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=ja3amuoniin6s4q4ctd4iq863q&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 02:20:27 pm »
If it was 50p I still wouldnt have it  :signLOL:

Offline Nodz

• Thank You
  • -Given: 73
  • -Receive: 103
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,29264.0.html
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2014, 02:29:35 pm »
Nothing against air and it can look good on the right cars/with the right mods. I just can't see the point in doing it to a performance car. It all comes down to what the aim is for the car and how well it's done.

But generally:
Performance > coil overs
Show car > air

Offline George10

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2014, 02:43:05 pm »
If it was 50p I still wouldnt have it  :signLOL:
That's still probably too expensive for you rich  :wink:

Nothing against air and it can look good on the right cars/with the right mods. I just can't see the point in doing it to a performance car. It all comes down to what the aim is for the car and how well it's done.

But generally:
Performance > coil overs
Show car > air
Yeah that's  a fair point

Offline Wooosh

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 87
  • Factory ponies.
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2014, 02:45:18 pm »

But generally:
Performance > coil overs
Show car > air
:congrats:
Stage 2 MK5 GTI Revo GONE
Stage 1+ MK5 GTI R-Tech GONE
Stage 2 MK5 GTI Edition 30 GoAPR

Offline wigit

• Thank You
  • -Given: 129
  • -Receive: 42
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2014, 03:15:46 pm »
think we need and air v coilovers v manual v dsg v dv rv super thread

:popcornsoda:

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2014, 03:17:29 pm »
I hate air for 2 reason - firstly because as Rich has already pointed out, no sports car or race car on the planet uses it. Therefore the evidence is pretty clear. BILLIONS of pounds of research allied with millions of man hours and engineering by people who know a lot more about it than you or I have decided that air suspension is not for performance cars. What types of vehicles do use air? Luxury limos and buses, neither of which are performance oriented. This is primarily a performance website, so therefore why would anyone advocate a worse solution? This is my objective answer.

The other reason I hate it is because slammed cars (air or static) look naff. There are no exceptions imo - they would all look better at a sensible ride height. This is my subjective answer with which you are free to disagree.
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline George10

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2014, 04:42:11 pm »
So because a race car doesn't have air suspension it makes it sh*t  :grin:

This isn't primarily a performance website at all. Yes the majority of people are more performance based but no where does it state this is a performance site.

Everyone's untitled to their own opinion.

You can have any ride height you want on air suspension. I

Offline Pikey Motorsports

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2014, 04:48:54 pm »
End of the day airride is great if your into shows.. Want to have your car low without scraping everywhere and decent enough handling for the road

Coilovers.. If your into a half decent ride height and not into all the scence stuff.. Coilovers are not made to slam your car on its ass (decent ones anyway), thats why it damages peoples cars,tyres etc.. There not for looks there for handling

For me its coilovers i am into racing/ trackdays etc and for anyone like me airride just doesnt make sense, everyone is into different things but i just dont get the slam the car as low as possible when at a show.. It doesnt even look good
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 04:52:18 pm by Pikey Motorsports »
TSR PERFORMANCE GTX30 520BHP
LITCHFIELD R35 GT-R 660BHP
MSL E63 AMG 720BHP
HCP BM3 M5 800BHP