Make a donation

Author Topic: Buying a GTI with an unknown remap?  (Read 837 times)

Offline Black9

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 19
    • Email
Buying a GTI with an unknown remap?
« on: July 21, 2014, 04:45:55 am »
Currently looking at an ED30 for sale via the forum.

97K, DSG

Car seems decent apart from one thing which is it has an Unknown remap. Current owner says it's been scanned via VCDS and all is good and also made 309 bhp on an RR.

The fact the remaps unknown puts me off, what's the worst a bad map can do to a car and is there any tell tale sings of a bad map?

I'd probably be straight to R tech if I purchased the car but is there anyway to tell if the maps good & if it's worth keeping on the car rather than getting a new one?

Offline TommyR

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 20
  • Black Edition 30
Re: Buying a GTI with an unknown remap?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 06:43:38 am »
The only way I know of is to log it via vcds to check everything is ok, which has already been done. In regards to the car he's an honest lad and it's a great car! Get it bought :happy2:

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 09:33:39 am »
The ECU will protect the engine from a bad map in most cases, so don't worry. They are pretty robust engines, the worst that could happen is the turbo is worked harder than it needs to, but there are loads of people driving round with Superchips maps which do the same  :rolleye:

Niki @ R-Tech will give it a health check first before mapping and will highlight any problems. As long as the car has been serviced properly it should be fine  :happy2:

NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline Shorty

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2014, 10:15:43 am »
Take it the car in question is mine.

I've done all the normal checks, the car has a new PCV, DV and follower, plugs were checked and mint. Also did some logs on VCDS and it proved to be fine, I'll happily send them to you or even post them up on here.

Rick @ Unicorn had a look at the map, he said it isn't the worst, it could be improved to eek some more power out of it but the main thing is it's safe.

Don't think you can get more honest than that?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 10:18:09 am by Shorty »
| Mk7 R |

Vehicle Diagnostics inc VCDS, Vehicle Remapping and any other diagnostics in the North West area, PM me.

Offline whytie

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 11:09:58 am »
Take it to a rolling road anyway for a better idea, anyone buying a remapped or modded car should always take it to see what's happening with regards fueling etc, the ecu may help to control a bad map but it won't stop a rod flying through the block or be able to stop running lean or over fueling,