Make a donation

Author Topic: Mk5 GT Tdi Cheap Mods  (Read 5138 times)

Offline adamAR

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
  • MK5 Golf GT Tdi
Mk5 GT Tdi Cheap Mods
« on: July 21, 2014, 09:48:00 pm »
Hi. New member on here, just put a deposit down on a 55 plate GT Tdi in blue. Thought this would be the best place for some help with cheap mods to help with the overall look of the car. Not to bothered about performance yet but would appreciate any ideas. Ill upload pictures as soon as i pick the car up.

Cheers
Adam

Offline CarlW

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 23
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,92229.msg927100.html#msg927100
Re: Mk5 GT Tdi Cheap Mods
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2014, 10:07:32 pm »
No such thing as cheap when your in a golf haha. Interior wise you could look at a nice OEM VW touchscreen RCD510 headunit. Nice bit of kit to have in the car and a bit of an upgrade from the standard RCD300. If I'm right the RCD510 also has the best rated amp out of the VW Headunits? Correct me if I'm wrong mind.. baring in mind if you want to do this you will also need an updated CAN Gateway which you can get from around £40 (cheap) hard to find at that price or £50 up over.

If you don't want to bother with head unit etc for now you could install the armrest which is nice in my opinion if you don't already have one. Not sure on price for these as i've never looked.

If you wanted to go further you could get some GTI seats for a bit more support when driving through the twisties. probably looking at around £300 - £650 ish for cloth tartan GTI seats. baring in mind theres also leather if thats your cup of tea and also the edition 30 half leather seats.

Multi function steering wheel if yours is just the standard wheel. MK5 or MK6 options available round the forum if your interested so keep an eye out. there are also other things needed when doing these like controllers etc so do some research on that as theres plenty of info on the forum.

For now thats all i can think of for interior wise besides the little seat inserts you can get which are nice little eye catcher when getting into the car. Around £10 i believe. And there is also the window buttons with chrome tipped edges along with the fuel flap release button / electric wing mirror button set etc which are nice. Not sure how much they are but you can find them all over the forum / bold sport website / ebay etc.

As for exterior, wheels of your choice.. no one can choose them for you really as its up to your taste..

Coilovers if you want to be low.. AP coilovers have a good reputation amongst the forum but it also depends wether you want to be on the floor or just lower than standard and have better drivability. AP for the second choice and something like FK's if you want to go ultra low for the 'scene' people. or theres always air ride if you have some poke to spend.

brakes - tyres - engine performance stuff - visibility (xenons) - handling mods like roll bars etc.. loads of threads, just spend plenty of time reading through some threads and use the 'search' function :happy2: :smiley:

Offline Eddie-NL

• Trader - 2014
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 298
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,56721.0.html
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2014, 10:16:10 pm »
depends what you call cheap mods

Genuine VCDS VAG-COM HEX-USB + Genuine Vag Commander + Genuine VAG Tacho + Genuine VAG CAN PRO  + RNS Manager for Video in Motion and New Pin Code for RNS510

Cluster and Key coding

Location Great Yarmouth

Retrofits fitted by me see my members rides

Offline adamAR

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • MK5 Golf GT Tdi
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 12:18:55 am »
No such thing as cheap when your in a golf haha. Interior wise you could look at a nice OEM VW touchscreen RCD510 headunit. Nice bit of kit to have in the car and a bit of an upgrade from the standard RCD300. If I'm right the RCD510 also has the best rated amp out of the VW Headunits? Correct me if I'm wrong mind.. baring in mind if you want to do this you will also need an updated CAN Gateway which you can get from around £40 (cheap) hard to find at that price or £50 up over.

If you don't want to bother with head unit etc for now you could install the armrest which is nice in my opinion if you don't already have one. Not sure on price for these as i've never looked.

If you wanted to go further you could get some GTI seats for a bit more support when driving through the twisties. probably looking at around £300 - £650 ish for cloth tartan GTI seats. baring in mind theres also leather if thats your cup of tea and also the edition 30 half leather seats.

Multi function steering wheel if yours is just the standard wheel. MK5 or MK6 options available round the forum if your interested so keep an eye out. there are also other things needed when doing these like controllers etc so do some research on that as theres plenty of info on the forum.

For now thats all i can think of for interior wise besides the little seat inserts you can get which are nice little eye catcher when getting into the car. Around £10 i believe. And there is also the window buttons with chrome tipped edges along with the fuel flap release button / electric wing mirror button set etc which are nice. Not sure how much they are but you can find them all over the forum / bold sport website / ebay etc.

As for exterior, wheels of your choice.. no one can choose them for you really as its up to your taste..

Coilovers if you want to be low.. AP coilovers have a good reputation amongst the forum but it also depends wether you want to be on the floor or just lower than standard and have better drivability. AP for the second choice and something like FK's if you want to go ultra low for the 'scene' people. or theres always air ride if you have some poke to spend.

brakes - tyres - engine performance stuff - visibility (xenons) - handling mods like roll bars etc.. loads of threads, just spend plenty of time reading through some threads and use the 'search' function :happy2: :smiley:

yeah i suppose everything worth doing comes at a fair price. not going to bother with the headunit at the minute, or even much of the interior, going to concentrate on the exterior to begin with, but thanks for the advice! ill bare it all in mind when i do start inside.

i feel coilovers are a must so i shall definitely look into AP coilovers, dont want it slammed on its arse though.

then its performance which like you said i just need to do some research into! most likely start with a remap, heard it makes a hell of a difference.

cheers, gives me taster of what a golf needs:)

Offline adamAR

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • MK5 Golf GT Tdi
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 12:30:02 am »
depends what you call cheap mods

i was just thinking little exterior tweeks for anything up to about £100. it may be pretty ambitious, just hoping to make it look a little nicer without a huge starting budget

Offline Wooosh

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 87
  • Factory ponies.
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 01:21:03 am »
Welcome mate, as said above no such thing as cheap mods when it comes to a MK5. But get some pictures up! :happy2:
Stage 2 MK5 GTI Revo GONE
Stage 1+ MK5 GTI R-Tech GONE
Stage 2 MK5 GTI Edition 30 GoAPR

Offline adamAR

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • MK5 Golf GT Tdi
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 08:31:25 pm »
Welcome mate, as said above no such thing as cheap mods when it comes to a MK5. But get some pictures up! :happy2:

cheers:) yeah it looks like i will have to spend a bit more than i expected, but im sure itll be worth while! picking the car up tomorrow so pictures to be on soon

Offline Wooosh

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 87
  • Factory ponies.
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 01:41:41 pm »

cheers:) yeah it looks like i will have to spend a bit more than i expected, but im sure itll be worth while! picking the car up tomorrow so pictures to be on soon
Look forward to seeing the pictures mate. :popcornsoda:
Stage 2 MK5 GTI Revo GONE
Stage 1+ MK5 GTI R-Tech GONE
Stage 2 MK5 GTI Edition 30 GoAPR