Make a donation

Author Topic: Steel Grey  (Read 3258 times)

Offline L5 TUW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 1
    • SimplyFocused
    • Email
Steel Grey
« on: July 22, 2014, 12:55:20 pm »
Whats the best products to keep Steel Grey looking nice and wet looking and well protected from bird do do over the summer ?

Offline CarlW

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 23
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,92229.msg927100.html#msg927100
Re: Steel Grey
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 08:58:31 pm »
Baring in mind its the condition of your paint, i.e swirls, marring etc that will effect how good your paint looks. For the wet look alone I'm a fan of Kleen Freaks products, have a look at their stuff online :happy2:

Offline L5 TUW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • SimplyFocused
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 09:31:59 am »
Paintwork is really good, no swirls or anything that i saw when i walked round it at the dealership, i actually collect the car Saturday so will have a better look round then, and if so i may treat myself to a machine polisher and get to work ha ha

I'll take a look at the Kleen Freaks stuff :-) thanks for the reply

Offline GTI-Ross

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 26
  • Learning All The Time :)
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 09:49:23 am »
This is what i use on my Carbon Steel Grey.

Chemicals guys Jetseal 109 > Thin coat of Collinite 746s Wax > Chemicals Speed Wide Detailing spray.  This combo makes it look so wet
MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | VWR SubFrame Mount | VibraTechnics Upper Engine Mount | VibraTechnic Transmission Mount | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

MK5 GTI - DSG + Extras (Sold because DSG was Soooo Boring !!!)

Offline L5 TUW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • SimplyFocused
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 01:02:03 pm »
Thanks guys, i will pick up the car Saturday post up some pics and then go from there

Offline DANBOY66

• Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,74301.0.html
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 04:40:50 am »
This is what i use on my Carbon Steel Grey.

Chemicals guys Jetseal 109 > Thin coat of Collinite 746s Wax > Chemicals Speed Wide Detailing spray.  This combo makes it look so wet

I used to use this combo but found that the jet seal left white polish in the stone chips and stuff so now I just use the collinite 746 and Sonax brilliant shine detailer and my car looks very wet a few pictures in my car thread in members rides
Dan..

Seat Ibiza cupra 06 1.8T GTX2867R GEN2 track toy in the making
Passat TDI 170 DSG the Family mini cab

Offline TForrest94

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 07:58:28 pm »
Give it a proper going over when you get it home, be wary that products with fillers may have been used before or at the dealer, so stripping the paint would be beneficial to access!

+1 for jet seal I've used it on a number of cars now after a proper detail and polish and it is amazing, so easy to use and it's been improved since I bought mine! (If you can track down my build thread it shows the results)

I'm interested in using collinate or this http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/sealants/finishkare-1000p-hi-temp-sealant/prod_589.html seems to be a similar wax in terms of characteristics

Congratulations on the new purchase look forward to seeing it!

Its just a way of life.

Offline L5 TUW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • SimplyFocused
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 10:00:14 am »
Give it a proper going over when you get it home, be wary that products with fillers may have been used before or at the dealer, so stripping the paint would be beneficial to access!

+1 for jet seal I've used it on a number of cars now after a proper detail and polish and it is amazing, so easy to use and it's been improved since I bought mine! (If you can track down my build thread it shows the results)

I'm interested in using collinate or this http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/sealants/finishkare-1000p-hi-temp-sealant/prod_589.html seems to be a similar wax in terms of characteristics

Congratulations on the new purchase look forward to seeing it!

Thanks for all of your advice,

Well i picked up the car on Saturday and spent yesterday (once it had cooled down) giving it a nice clean

Started with a wash (2BM) and then clayed the whole car, washed it again to get rid of any left over clay etc and put some billberry wheel cleaner on the alloys, towel dried it off and then i used Dodo Juice Lime and prime to give myself a nice base to work on

Then i used Chemical Guys Glossworkz Glaze and sealed it with Chemical Guys Jet Seal 109 and it came out really well, there are hardly any marks on the car so quite pleased. Oh and on the exhaust tips i just used some AutoGlym Metal Polish, but it still needs a proper going over

One thing i did notice is that the colour which i thought was the same as my Mum's ED30 isnt the same, the steel grey on my car is lighter as i parked them next to each other this morning when i popped round - are there 2 greys or is the ED30 one not Steel Grey ?

Please see a couple of pics i took (albeit with my phone) after the cleaning yesterday

Offline GTI-Ross

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 26
  • Learning All The Time :)
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 11:42:17 am »
Looks like yu have done a decent job mate. And yeah there is few types of Grey. Carbon Steal, United Grey and some others i think.
MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | VWR SubFrame Mount | VibraTechnics Upper Engine Mount | VibraTechnic Transmission Mount | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

MK5 GTI - DSG + Extras (Sold because DSG was Soooo Boring !!!)

Offline George10

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 18
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 03:08:07 pm »
On grey the swirls will not be visible by walking round the car, but in petrol station you'll notice loads.

My cars also steel grey and I use autofiness's full range, also have some kleenfreaks stuff.

Offline L5 TUW

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • SimplyFocused
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2014, 11:47:19 am »
On grey the swirls will not be visible by walking round the car, but in petrol station you'll notice loads.

My cars also steel grey and I use autofiness's full range, also have some kleenfreaks stuff.

I actually went to the petrol station last night and you know what there is hardly any, i can only think that as the car is a low mileage one (47k) that it must have been looked after and possibly had the paint protection done before it left the dealership or they did it for me before i picked it up - either way a right result just need to keep on top of it and well away from the bosnian acid car washes lol !

Offline lukemk5gti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 118
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89715.msg907250.html#msg907250
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2014, 01:50:59 pm »
Bought the same combination myself and it arrived this morning

Glossworks Glaze
Jetseal 109
Autoglym HD Wax

I have the same steel grey colour too! Looking forward to a good detail this weekend.

How has the jetseal kept up since you've done it?