Make a donation

Author Topic: Terraclean Intake Cleaning  (Read 14069 times)

Offline scopes

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 131
  • -Receive: 115
  • Wolfsburg Edition
    • My GTI
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,49748.0.html
Terraclean Intake Cleaning
« on: July 22, 2014, 03:44:16 pm »
Well I had the new type of terraclean TFSI intake cleaning process done !  :happy2:

Removal of either the boost pipe connector or PCV hose that connects to the intake manifold.

Then Run the treatment through, with the engine idling at approx. 1400 rpm, the smell that was coming out the exhaust was horrible, it didn’t look that dirty, but more of a Smokey type of exhaust fumes …

So let it sit for approx. 15 – 20 mins, cleared any fault codes that popped up,
Which was Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfires, on 2 of the Cylinders 3 and 4 and EVAP Emission Control Sys.
Then went on a test drive, just to make sure all was ok, all was great, run a vcds scan again, no codes! I was happy at that.
I run logs before the test, then run another set  a few days later.
Now on the journey home, I seen the  AVG mpg  jump up to 41.7 mpg, the same journey I have struggled to see above 36mpg, and that’s trying real hard…But never mind that!
The car has come back to life, it is hard to describe how it feels now, but feels more aggressive than before, smoother, like it needed it… I have found myself to be very lucky with having this done, I’m trying to get hold of a Snap-On scope, to have a look and see if I can find anything shiny in the block, about a month ago. I seen the inside of a 2lt tfsi engine with around 40 odd k on the clock, I should have taken some photos, as the black coked up vales where scary looking, to think, sh*t like that is inside our engines… Not Good Guys!
I will most definitely be having this done at least every 6 months, unless WMI was to be fitted.
Another thing I noticed was at 70mph the cars RPM’s was just below 2400, any other time it was 2500 rpms and at 80 just under 3k any other time it sat on the 3k.

Copied from a Terraclean website:

Direct Injection Petrol Intake Valve Cleaning
Pressurised Induction Cleaning System by Terraclean

Direct Injection Petrol engines all suffer from carbon build up on the back of the intake valves

At A1 Terraclean we have a cost effective solution to this problem in the form of an annual service for prevention or an intensive treatment to break down the built up carbon on the valves and intake ports

The intense process involves injecting a unique and effective agent into the intake throttle while running the car on a slightly increased idle which softens the carbon down and releases it from the back of the valves and will be burnt of in the combustion chamber, when the treatment is complete we run the standard Terraclean system in the intake throttle to release any remaining softened carbon deposit and will also clean the throttle body and carbon deposits inside the combustion chamber
The annual service process can be done as a stand alone treatment or can be done alongside a standard Terraclean treatment for best results.

:smiley:

For anyone who doesnt think there car is running right or has misfires, and have run out of ideas of things to try, try this !

It worked for me !  :star:  Now my car is running the best it has for a very long time !

Also the TFSI engine with 40 odd K on the clock,  had the valves all replaced now goes really well also... Is this a step before pulling the block apart to see if the valves are all gunked up...

It's been the best £80.00 i had spent in a long time.  How much to replace the valves etc nevermind the labour...  :confused:

Goodluck !
If it's not broke, Mod it.....

Silver is the way !

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
Re: Terraclean Intake Cleaning
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 03:51:18 pm »
£150-£200 for a intake valve clean iirc

Offline GTI-Ross

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 26
  • Learning All The Time :)
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 03:51:49 pm »
It seems to be too hit and miss with this, some people say its sh1t, some people say it felt good for a week and then back to normal, and some people like yourself say its been well worth it,

There seems to be no definitive answer
MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | VWR SubFrame Mount | VibraTechnics Upper Engine Mount | VibraTechnic Transmission Mount | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

MK5 GTI - DSG + Extras (Sold because DSG was Soooo Boring !!!)

Offline bigmig95

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 50
  • I know enough to know that I don't know enough.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,53191.0.html
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 04:20:40 pm »
Be good to see some borescope pictures Scopes, ideally before and after on one of these clean ups.  Providing enough gunk was removed wonder if the resolution of  MAF meter would show any changes at all ?????? as in theory air flow should increase if its doing what its claimed, might be too many other variables to notice anything significant.

Would be good to get something conclusive on this as there seems to be loads of debate on this product, particularly on the valve gunk GDI's get.   :happy2:

Offline scopes

• Thank You
  • Wolfsburg Edition
    • My GTI
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 05:09:46 pm »
Air flow has improved, as it's blew of 2 boost pipes since  :signLOL:

Now this is not the normal terraclean, that gets pumped through your fuel, i had it done last August. This is the New type of cleaning terraclean has brought out for the TFSI Engines, well maybe not just for the TFSI engine, but direct injection engines...

When i first run the logs the car pulled well, but when i run the second set, it pulled like a train again, just like a new stage of tune... Like going from stage 1 to stage 2... I felt the difference...

Silver is the way !

Offline OSB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 17
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 05:09:56 pm »
Interesting!
Where did you get it done?

Offline Dj.Duffa

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 05:11:18 pm »
im deffo considering it... mine has 100k so I think it will deffo benefit!

Offline CarlW

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 23
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,92229.msg927100.html#msg927100
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 07:11:09 pm »
Interesting!

http://www.a1-terraclean.co.uk - £108 for up to 2L engines. Not a bad price if you get results like Scopes has.
Might be the next maintenance job on my list of 'Things to do'.

Offline scopes

• Thank You
  • Wolfsburg Edition
    • My GTI
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 07:37:55 pm »
Interesting!

http://www.terracleanni.co.uk/

A local guy over here in N.Ireland called Neill  :happy2:

Silver is the way !

Offline scopes

• Thank You
  • Wolfsburg Edition
    • My GTI
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 07:40:51 pm »
£150-£200 for a intake valve clean iirc

Hey Mike

Is that for the valves to be taken out and cleaned or however they do it?

Silver is the way !

Offline flashp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 65
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 09:34:43 pm »
Not sure on this: 'Another thing I noticed was at 70mph the cars RPM’s was just below 2400, any other time it was 2500 rpms and at 80 just under 3k any other time it sat on the 3k.'
Road speed and rpm is fixed.

Didn't put bigger wheels on at the same time did you?

General question now...how does all that gunk get past the cat? Does it all get vaporized in combustion?
I'm not convinced (but happy to be proved wrong) that all of that build up is turned to combustible liquid and burnt & expelled as a gas rather than something else that is likely to either score a bore, pit a valve seat or collect at the cat.

:popcornsoda:

Gone but not forgotten :-)

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 10:47:55 pm »
Not sure on this: 'Another thing I noticed was at 70mph the cars RPM’s was just below 2400, any other time it was 2500 rpms and at 80 just under 3k any other time it sat on the 3k.'
Road speed and rpm is fixed

Didn't put bigger wheels on at the same time did you?

General question now...how does all that gunk get past the cat? Does it all get vaporized in combustion?
I'm not convinced (but happy to be proved wrong) that all of that build up is turned to combustible liquid and burnt & expelled as a gas rather than something else that is likely to either score a bore, pit a valve seat or collect at the cat.

:popcornsoda:

^this is the facts. The correlation between Your engine RPM and your road speed is fixed (it's a shaft from your engine to your gear box, everything is mechanical.)

Similar to the time my mate has his car mapped and believed it was revving 1500RPM less at 70mph :signLOL:
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline scopes

• Thank You
  • Wolfsburg Edition
    • My GTI
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2014, 12:42:29 am »
I must be wrong on that then,  :signLOL:  I did say I noticed it, not that i was monitoring it. I lead myself to believe the car was under less pressure, due to it driving better.

So at 70 mph, what would the revs normally be at, In a mk5 golf gti ?

As far as I'm aware, it turns the hard stuff/coke all like soft and it burns of easier, I dont have to much proof on how it all happens, but I thought excatlly the same as you did, at first, What would happen if some of that stuff fell off in my engine.  :sick:

It burns it up and blows it out the exhaust!
That's maybe why they also recommend to get the normal terraclean done after it.

Sounds like a money racket.  All I'm saying is it worked for me, so far so good !

Silver is the way !

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2014, 03:11:19 pm »
This product is 60 to 100% NAPHTHA. You can do the process yourself. I do this myself every 5k miles, but I purchase it by the gallon @ Home Depot or Lowe's Home Improvement for less than $15usd. I also use I new, self mixed, solution comprised of 2 parts Spirits, 2 parts NAPHTHA, 1 part acetone, 1 part Iso alcohol, and 1 part premium "fuel/gas/petrol". I have made a diy vid, but I have since modified the sprayer where I left alone the nozzle on a new sprayer so that it produces a fine mist and fits into the same IAT sensor location as mentioned in the vid. I also cut the wand in two and spliced it together with an 8ft hose so that I can operate the sprayer as well as control the throttle and rpm's from the driver seat.
FWg_A

And here are some before and after pics...although it is tough to see well as I went with a cheap bore-scope, made in China, for less than $20usd  :ashamed:

Before (2 pics) shows much build-up on the valve stems:

After (you can see the improvement mainly on the valve stem due to its poor quality/lighting):

But it is a noticeable difference...only, as mentioned, the build-up does return. Therefore...why I do this often as I do  :happy2:

Hope this helps you all  :drinking:

« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 03:21:07 pm by ROH ECHT »
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline scopes

• Thank You
  • Wolfsburg Edition
    • My GTI
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2014, 10:18:24 pm »
Yes, it helps alot thanks  :happy2:

I had thought about having ago at it myself, I watched the video clip of your goodself doing it on your own car, it's maybe something i should start to do, just to keep on top of it.

:happy2:

Silver is the way !