Make a donation

Author Topic: Terraclean Intake Cleaning  (Read 14063 times)

Offline GTI-Ross

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 26
  • Learning All The Time :)
    • Email
Re: Terraclean Intake Cleaning
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2014, 10:44:03 pm »
Can you explain more about the mixture, how much of each one would I need.

So some white / mineral spirit, Acetone (is that nail vanish remover?), ISo achohol, petrol, but what is NAPHTHA, never heard of that.

Thanks
MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | VWR SubFrame Mount | VibraTechnics Upper Engine Mount | VibraTechnic Transmission Mount | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

MK5 GTI - DSG + Extras (Sold because DSG was Soooo Boring !!!)

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 113
  • -Receive: 147
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2014, 12:26:49 am »

So some white / mineral spirit, Acetone (is that nail vanish remover?), ISo achohol, petrol, but what is NAPHTHA, never heard of that.

Thanks
Sure...acetone is a strong resin remover, petrol helps to keep the rpm's from dropping as much, NAPHTHA is another solvent similar to White Spirits only they vary in point of ignition and drying time.
The quantity, as I said regarding 2 parts and 1 part, depends.
I use 8oz or 1 cup as 1 part. So for spirits and NAPHTHA I use 2 cups and 1 cup each of the remaining liquids.
If you choose 4oz as 1 part...then you'd use 1 cup each of spirits and Naphtha, and 1/2 cup for each of the remaining liquids.
If NAPHTHA is unavailable there, you can simply double the quantity of spirits. However, you can also apply 100% spirits.
I only began messing around with a mixture because I get asked often "Why don't you use____?". I have found that there are some fuel system cleaner products that include those solutions...so I figured it can't hurt to try them. My last cleaning with this new mixture I didn't bore the valves, but I will after the next one. I may, myself, go back to applying 100% spirits as I have always done in the past. It will depend on the resulting bore-scope pics and how they compare to the 100% spirits pic.  :happy2:

K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline GTI-Ross

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2014, 09:20:45 am »

Thanks
Sure...acetone is a strong resin remover, petrol helps to keep the rpm's from dropping as much, NAPHTHA is another solvent similar to White Spirits only they vary in point of ignition and drying time.
The quantity, as I said regarding 2 parts and 1 part, depends.
I use 8oz or 1 cup as 1 part. So for spirits and NAPHTHA I use 2 cups and 1 cup each of the remaining liquids.
If you choose 4oz as 1 part...then you'd use 1 cup each of spirits and Naphtha, and 1/2 cup for each of the remaining liquids.
If NAPHTHA is unavailable there, you can simply double the quantity of spirits. However, you can also apply 100% spirits.
I only began messing around with a mixture because I get asked often "Why don't you use____?". I have found that there are some fuel system cleaner products that include those solutions...so I figured it can't hurt to try them. My last cleaning with this new mixture I didn't bore the valves, but I will after the next one. I may, myself, go back to applying 100% spirits as I have always done in the past. It will depend on the resulting bore-scope pics and how they compare to the 100% spirits pic.  :happy2:

Is it recommend to get an oil change after? I was going to us sea foam before and people say its always best to change oil, is that correct?
MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | VWR SubFrame Mount | VibraTechnics Upper Engine Mount | VibraTechnic Transmission Mount | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2014, 07:02:38 am »
I, myself, add 4oz of spirits(←the amount of spirits in a bottle of MMO) to my oil when there are 500 miles left before I change my oil (every 5k miles). I do the valve cleaning up to a week before changing my oil. So I would say sure, although there are some that run products such as MarvelsMysteryOil(MMO) which contain spirits at all times in their oil.
I know of no solid data of any harm it may cause...and since I was tired of looking I lean toward the side of safety ;)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 07:11:01 am by ROH ECHT »
K04 PLAY...K04 turbo/S3 INJ. & FMIC/FORGE FMTC, TB hose, & WG actuator/GIAC's H.O. K04 & DSG TUNES/AWE DV/NEUSPEED P-FLO,TURBO OUTLET & TB pipe/AUTOTECH hpfp/BSH Eng.&Trans Mounts/H&R ARB's/Whiteline Performance springs & W.A.L.K./ECS stage-3 BBK/BILSTEIN B8's...ZOOM'DIS...GIAC K04 tune-2007 Volkswagen GTI: 12.823 @ 112.050 MPH__Voting for my Dragtimes link: http://www.dragtimes.com/Volkswagen-GTI-Timeslip-25700.html?r=1

Offline ROH ECHT

• Thank You
  • K04 PLAY....ZOOM DIS!
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2014, 10:52:05 pm »
Here are today's valve pics. Impressive the amount of carbon removal this does.
The valve stems look nearly free of carbon, and the valve stem guides show their bronze again.

↑ That...after this ↓

Offline scopes

• Thank You
  • -Given: 131
  • -Receive: 115
  • Wolfsburg Edition
    • My GTI
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,49748.0.html
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2014, 09:16:29 am »
 :happy2:

That looks much better, have you noticed any preformance gains ?

:popcornsoda:
If it's not broke, Mod it.....

Silver is the way !

Offline GTI-Ross

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2014, 09:30:10 am »
im going to have to give this ago before next oil change. I know you have mastered quite a complex mixture. Is there a mixture which requires less parts to it which would be close to the same level of success you have had in the last pics you posted. (a simple mixture)

Thanks

MPS

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2014, 02:42:43 pm »
Can't you just unbolt the exhaust upstream of the cat so it doesn't touch it? lol

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2014, 06:15:24 pm »
It's not exhaust gas that's causing this. . . You are thinking of diesel EGR valves.

This is caused by oil hitting the valves from the PCV system (crankcase air containing oil) passing into the inlet manifold, and also some oil passing by the turbo seals.

NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr