Make a donation

Author Topic: Golf and Scirocco R Launch info  (Read 28810 times)

Offline chungster

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
Re: Golf and Scirocco R Launch info
« Reply #105 on: November 01, 2009, 10:24:55 pm »

....But why lock yourself into a mindset which labels "Golfs" as only being produced and offered below a certain price level?

Is it badge snobbery? - If you spend an Audi/BMW price on a car then it must have the badge that shows publicly the sort of price you have paid?

And furthermore, it's merely a price level which some people here have decided either that they can't afford or simply don't want to spend. Which is fair enough btw.

Chase the vision and not the dollar.
For once in a good while RR, I have to agree with you there.  :happy2:  Read somewhere else, do people really think VW price setters thought once about "ooh what 2nd hand options will we be competing with??" Did they F**K!!! All this about comparing with 2nd hand vehicles is absolutely pointless. THIS IS A NEW CAR DAMN IT!!!  

Offline DanoGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 3
    • DA Productions
« Reply #106 on: November 01, 2009, 10:37:44 pm »
I'll bite :wink:

OK, they're comparing against new cars then - £38K for a PREMIUM hatchback, you've got to either be nuts or have more money than sense!!  :grin:

The smart person looks at the used options, as they offer more value for money.

So cars to compare to new then?

Litchfield Type 25? (Scooby AWD hatch)
Scooby S330 (STI)?
Ford Focus RS?
Audi S3?
Audi RS3?

All semi-comparable cars in terms of price/performance.....

Most much cheaper than the Golf R. The debate has been had before about who's top dog(premium vs exclusive) in the VAG camp, VW? Audi? Porsche? Seat? Skoda?

Now before I get ousted from the site :wink: I'm SURE the Golf R will be a great car. But most of us won't get to see one let alone drive one.

Regardless, VW have got their pricing wrong on this.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 10:39:26 pm by DanoGTI »

DA Productions

The fine art of diplomacy is telling somebody to "fcuk off" in such a way that they actually look forward to the journey....

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #107 on: November 01, 2009, 10:38:58 pm »

And there was me thinking that a Volkswagen was the 'people's car'....

Good point Luke.  38k people's car?

:sad1:

....Volkswagen were originally 'The People's Car", sure, but that ended many decades ago.

Who would you define as 'The People' nowadays?

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #108 on: November 01, 2009, 10:43:56 pm »

....But why lock yourself into a mindset which labels "Golfs" as only being produced and offered below a certain price level?

Is it badge snobbery? - If you spend an Audi/BMW price on a car then it must have the badge that shows publicly the sort of price you have paid?

And furthermore, it's merely a price level which some people here have decided either that they can't afford or simply don't want to spend. Which is fair enough btw.

For once in a good while RR, I have to agree with you there.  :happy2:  Read somewhere else, do people really think VW price setters thought once about "ooh what 2nd hand options will we be competing with??" Did they F**K!!! All this about comparing with 2nd hand vehicles is absolutely pointless. THIS IS A NEW CAR DAMN IT!!!  

Golf R isnt better than the 27k s3, or 34k audi s4 though. The pricing is sending a mixed signal. Audi is top dog, yet the golf costs more but doesnt offer much more if any over the S3.

Plus at 38k you might aswell spend a extra 4k for the TT-RS, and the RS3 will be cheaper than the TT-RS still.

Offline NB07

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #109 on: November 01, 2009, 10:44:09 pm »
it does start at 28k dano not 38.  :happy2:
Black Edition 30 DSG - Gone but not forgotten!

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #110 on: November 01, 2009, 10:45:55 pm »

Golf R isnt better than the 27k s3, or 34k audi s4 though. The pricing is sending a mixed signal. Audi is top dog, yet the golf costs more but doesnt offer much more if any over the S3.

Plus at 38k you might aswell spend a extra 4k for the TT-RS, and the RS3 will be cheaper than the TT-RS still.

exactly, the RS£ is where its at

Offline DanoGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • DA Productions
« Reply #111 on: November 01, 2009, 10:46:26 pm »
sorry - typo :grin: £28K for poverty spec...

DA Productions

The fine art of diplomacy is telling somebody to "fcuk off" in such a way that they actually look forward to the journey....

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #112 on: November 01, 2009, 10:47:19 pm »

£38K for a PREMIUM hatchback, you've got to either be nuts or have more money than sense!!  :grin:

....Money, money, money - Is that the only value to consider?

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #113 on: November 01, 2009, 10:48:24 pm »
not to sure about money money money

maybe value for money, value for money, value for money

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
« Reply #114 on: November 01, 2009, 10:51:51 pm »

Agreed there, otherwise we all wouldnt bother with having a mortgage and be driving about in lambos and ferraris instead.

Offline DanoGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • DA Productions
« Reply #115 on: November 01, 2009, 10:55:54 pm »
I could argue this, but I'm not going to bother. I would be wasting my time :grin:

Good luck with your Golf R - I'm sure it will be a fantastic success.

Dan  :happy2:

£38K for a PREMIUM hatchback, you've got to either be nuts or have more money than sense!!  :grin:

....Money, money, money - Is that the only value to consider?

DA Productions

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #116 on: November 01, 2009, 11:03:49 pm »

....Same thing inasmuch that not everyone is hung up on value for money. I hardly ever consider it. I can either afford something I desire or I can't. And if I pay a lot for what I desire, what does it matter? - I have the joy of having my desire. That's worth much more than money.

What's more important: The product itself (not just cars) you buy or what good value for money (aka bargain?) you thought it was?

What did Oscar Wilde say? Something about the money saved being soon forgotten.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #117 on: November 01, 2009, 11:06:14 pm »

Agreed there, otherwise we all wouldnt bother with having a mortgage and be driving about in lambos and ferraris instead.

....You actually do have a choice between a Lambo and a mortgage. It's entirely up to you.

Offline Msportman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #118 on: November 02, 2009, 12:08:24 am »
One thing for sure is that in the current economic climate people able to afford a £35-40k car must be few and far between unless you :

a) Acquire one of these cars as a company car
b) Live at home with mum and dad and have little anor no overheads and are on above above income of £26k
c)Director/self employed running it through a company

I sometimes wonder where and how people in the normal world manage to finance such expensive things. The reality for most of my colleagues is that they have kids and mortgages are on average wages and many of their wives are at home looking after the kids and most drive boring cars. Many of my mates love performance cars but wouldn't entertain finance to buy performance cars.
Interestingly according John Snow and his son who did a programme sometime ago over 2/3rds of the country earn less than the average wage of the then £24,600 a year. All I can assume is that people must loan themselves up to the hilt!

Back on subject value for money has always been my priority and making older cars faster.

Pearl Black Edition 30 3 Door. DSG. (3rd Edition 30)
Maybe on the too do list: APR Stage 2+, KW Clubsports, Brakes, Diff.

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
« Reply #119 on: November 02, 2009, 12:14:51 am »
One thing for sure is that in the current economic climate people able to afford a £35-40k car must be few and far between unless you :

a) Acquire one of these cars as a company car
b) Live at home with mum and dad and have little anor no overheads and are on above above income of £26k
c)Director/self employed running it through a company

I sometimes wonder where and how people in the normal world manage to finance such expensive things. The reality for most of my colleagues is that they have kids and mortgages are on average wages and many of their wives are at home looking after the kids and most drive boring cars. Many of my mates love performance cars but wouldn't entertain finance to buy performance cars.
Interestingly according John Snow and his son who did a programme sometime ago over 2/3rds of the country earn less than the average wage of the then £24,600 a year. All I can assume is that people must loan themselves up to the hilt!

Back on subject value for money has always been my priority and making older cars faster.

There was a statistic out there recently, cant remmeber the exact figure, but the majority of bmw's are company cars, and the rest are on a lease type finance, where after 3 years they give the car back.