Make a donation

Author Topic: Golf and Scirocco R Launch info  (Read 28853 times)

Offline Msportman

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 9
Re: Golf and Scirocco R Launch info
« Reply #120 on: November 02, 2009, 12:30:03 am »
One thing for sure is that in the current economic climate people able to afford a £35-40k car must be few and far between unless you :

a) Acquire one of these cars as a company car
b) Live at home with mum and dad and have little anor no overheads and are on above above income of £26k
c)Director/self employed running it through a company

I sometimes wonder where and how people in the normal world manage to finance such expensive things. The reality for most of my colleagues is that they have kids and mortgages are on average wages and many of their wives are at home looking after the kids and most drive boring cars. Many of my mates love performance cars but wouldn't entertain finance to buy performance cars.
Interestingly according John Snow and his son who did a programme sometime ago over 2/3rds of the country earn less than the average wage of the then £24,600 a year. All I can assume is that people must loan themselves up to the hilt!

Back on subject value for money has always been my priority and making older cars faster.

There was a statistic out there recently, cant remmeber the exact figure, but the majority of bmw's are company cars, and the rest are on a lease type finance, where after 3 years they give the car back.

That doesn't surprise me. A friend of mine an ex BMW salesman went to Ferrari ( Maranello in Egham ) and said the same thing that BMW was the most heavily financed car in the UK. He stated people were often turned down BMW finance and were offered more expensive finance outside of the network just to get the badge on the drive.
Many companies have cut back on middle management  BMW's unless you work in the London area where there seems an abundance as usual!
Pearl Black Edition 30 3 Door. DSG. (3rd Edition 30)
Maybe on the too do list: APR Stage 2+, KW Clubsports, Brakes, Diff.

Offline Edition30

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 8
  • No man was ever wise by chance.
    • Email
« Reply #121 on: November 02, 2009, 02:33:45 am »
Nice  :happy2:

:sick:

Whip them shocking wheels off to start with, tail pipes look like someone has done a poor R32 replica.

Really does not look special in the slightest. Can't see them having the slightest bit of trouble shifting them though as they have quite a big following.
Id still have one.

Would you be willing to spend 20k+ and your car for one though? :innocent:
Afghanistan Trust - Yorkshire 3 peaks challenge.

www.justgiving.com/ptemartinbell

MyProtein - MP119633

Offline andrewparker

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #122 on: November 02, 2009, 04:16:02 am »
Golf R isnt better than the 27k s3, or 34k audi s4 though.

Well f*ck me, here was me thinking no-one had driven it yet. So where is your full review, or us this just another opinion based on how much something costs?

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #123 on: November 02, 2009, 08:19:49 am »
Nice  :happy2:

:sick:

Whip them shocking wheels off to start with, tail pipes look like someone has done a poor R32 replica.

Really does not look special in the slightest. Can't see them having the slightest bit of trouble shifting them though as they have quite a big following.
Id still have one.

If money wasnt a problem then yes :smiley:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #124 on: November 02, 2009, 08:42:26 am »

Well f*ck me, here was me thinking no-one had driven it yet. So where is your full review, or is this just another opinion based on how much something costs?

....Besides the fact that whether something (anything) is "better" or not, is a totally subjective point of view, I think it's very sad indeed that so many people (not just in this forum) base their whole lives on being overly concerned about whether their purchases are 'good value for money' or not. It becomes such a mission that they lose sight of the positives in what they buy. It also encourages people to be very mean spirited in everything they do - It becomes their way of life. I'm not suggesting that people should be frivolous with the way they spend money (although if they are, then so what!). It's all relative. There are many worlds besides that of Mr & Mrs Average all living in houses that all look the same with mortgages and families and financial commitments etc. If you live among such people it's very easy to think that the whole world is the same - It's not!

People will buy the Golf R for many different reasons - all of them relevant. It won't sell in huge numbers but it's exactly that which will make it very attractive to some of us. Anyway, there is still a whole range of Golfs to choose from and according to either what you can afford or what you want to afford.

I think that many people here are disappointed that VW has added a car to its already very extensive range of Golfs which is much more difficult to afford. But there's no such thing as not being able to justify the cost - It's entirely up to you and me in our own little worlds. My father taught me that we're all equal but some of us are more equal than others.

When/if a new S3 or RS3 is officially announced with pricings, what's the betting that most of the posts will be similar to as they are in this thread - Also before anyone has test driven the car! Doubtless the same will apply to the Scirocco R.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #125 on: November 02, 2009, 08:49:19 am »

Id still have one.

If money wasnt a problem then yes :smiley:

.... Exactly!

After a test drive it only comes down to whether you have the funds available or not - It's that simple.

There's no shame in spending money! It's what it's for - You can't take it with you.

And there's no shame in not having such funds available either < Something which many people don't seem to realise.

:drinking:

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline VeeDubDan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #126 on: November 02, 2009, 12:33:19 pm »
 :popcornsoda:

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #127 on: November 02, 2009, 01:33:46 pm »
Spot the difference apart from the price.................. Similar BHP  etc..............

£32,473

http://www.pistonheads.com/SALES/1260639.htm

And the Golf R  without the Bucket seats (Specced the Recaro part leather seats) Hill hold, piano black inlays, Bose (specced the 10 speaker system though), Electric folding Door Mirrors, and Through load system.  Including Poor wheels too!

£34,280.00
Tried to find a white one but...........

S3 is over £2k cheaper with more options, and that it without any negotiation....................

No Brainer for me - Audi wins hands down, better specced and looks better too!  Is fully developed and time tested by the public.

That is just my opinion, based on facts from websites and as ever others are free to give theirs.

nyom nyom, i prefer the look of these over the audi, but for the dosh...not a chance, id rather buy the bodykit and fit to to mine....which could happen in the near future! lol

Offline T88OMM

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #128 on: November 02, 2009, 08:00:33 pm »
I'm really not seeing this at all! I don't care what anyone says the Golf R is FAR FAR to expensive for what it is! It is just not special enough at all.

I do not see how it is going to be so radically different to the S3 as some people think it is!

They are both a similar weight.
They have identical engines.
They have the same haldex (Gen 4) as the FACELIFT S3's so they are not going to handle that much differently.
They can both be bought with manual and DSG transmissions.
The build quality of Audi's is second to none so I don't think the R is going to be gaining any advantages in that department.
Looks are subjective but I would say both are a desireable looking car.

I stand to be corrected but the only difference I see between the S3 and the Golf R so far is the price. If the Golf R were out at the time of me purchasing my S3 there is no doubt I would have been seriously interested. If I would have specced the Golf to my requirements it would have come to circa £38k, I paid just over £12k less for a new S3 four months ago, do the math!  :confused:

Im not defending the S3 or slating the Golf R, it's just the way I see it  :smiley:
TT-RS Plus - S-Tronic

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #129 on: November 02, 2009, 08:04:48 pm »

Well f*ck me, here was me thinking no-one had driven it yet. So where is your full review, or us this just another opinion based on how much something costs?

Wow, you really are naive to think that the bean counters from VAG would allow for VW to produce something that will be radically different from the S3.

Going by past experience, and considering how many parts the two cars share its pretty damn obvious we wont see anything new from VAG.

Lets wait for the reviews then shall we  :signLOL:

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #130 on: November 02, 2009, 08:06:47 pm »
I'm really not seeing this at all! I don't care what anyone says the Golf R is FAR FAR to expensive for what it is! It is just not special enough at all.

I do not see how it is going to be so radically different to the S3 as some people think it is!

They have the same haldex (Gen 4) as the FACELIFT S3's so they are not going to handle that much differently.
The build quality of Audi's is second to none so I don't think the R is going to be gaining any advantages in that department.

I stand to be corrected but the only difference I see between the S3 and the Golf R so far is the price. If the Golf R were out at the time of me purchasing my S3 there is no doubt I would have been seriously interested. If I would have specced the Golf to my requirements it would have come to circa £38k, I paid just over £12k less for a new S3 four months ago, do the math!  :confused:

Im not defending the S3 or slating the Golf R, it's just the way I see it  :smiley:

:congrats: :congrats: :congrats:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #131 on: November 02, 2009, 08:40:08 pm »

:congrats: :congrats: :congrats:

:happy2: Absolutely!

And so it comes down to personal choice and whether you have the funds available to make that choice.

If the funds allow such a choice, this is where the irrational and emotional factors kick in. Unless of course, you are a hardwired VFM robot :grin:

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #132 on: November 02, 2009, 08:43:38 pm »
I think most of us on here would be a value for money robots, to be honest I don't see a time when I won't be.

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #133 on: November 02, 2009, 08:50:11 pm »
I think most of us on here would be a value for money robots, to be honest I don't see a time when I won't be.

agreed, its not like our cars are the most emotive in its class.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #134 on: November 02, 2009, 08:50:24 pm »

....It's very much an attitude rather than a question of what funds you have or haven't.

You never know what's around the corner anyway. Nor what fruits all your hard work may bring you.

:drinking: