Make a donation

Author Topic: Golf and Scirocco R Launch info  (Read 28757 times)

Offline Edition30

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 8
  • No man was ever wise by chance.
    • Email
Re: Golf and Scirocco R Launch info
« Reply #75 on: November 01, 2009, 09:50:44 am »
Nice  :happy2:

:sick:

Whip them shocking wheels off to start with, tail pipes look like someone has done a poor R32 replica.

Really does not look special in the slightest. Can't see them having the slightest bit of trouble shifting them though as they have quite a big following.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 09:53:49 am by Edition30 »
Afghanistan Trust - Yorkshire 3 peaks challenge.

www.justgiving.com/ptemartinbell

MyProtein - MP119633

Offline DanoGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 3
    • DA Productions
« Reply #76 on: November 01, 2009, 10:22:40 am »
I've got to say that whilst the "R" does look nice, VW have opened themselves to a LOT of competition imho.

The harsh reality is that the NEW car market is still on its ar$e. Consumers are very cautious about what they're spending their money on, including those with enough disposable income to buy this type of thing.

The USED car market offers SO much more  at the moment. IMO, very few people in the right mind will spend £36-40K on a hatchback. Especially a sporty one.

Just a quick trawl through Autotrader with the £35-40K price bracket, 170 pages, but here's a few of the cars that came up -
BMW M6 (MY10) - £35K
LOADS of M3s and 335i, M5 - circa £36K
Bentley Continental GT - £35K
LOADS of Porsches (Carrera - £3K
Ferrari 355  :drool: (£35K)
Audi RS4 saloon & convertible AND Avant - £36K
BMW M5 Touring - £40K
Porsche GT3 - £40K
Loads of Ferrari 360s & higher spec 355s
LOADS of Audi A5s & S5s
Not including the droves of RangeRovers, Mercs, Jags etc.

All about 12-18months old (with exception of the Ferraris) & 99.9% Traders.

My one point being that there is SO much more potent machinery out there for the same money. And let's be honest, whilst this is a great Golf site, as petrol-heads, IF we had the money, would you turn down the machinery on offer above? I know I would gladly kick my GTI into touch for nearly any of the above :wink:

Granted, some aren't daily drivers, that's what a NORMAL Golf is for!!!  :grin:
And this really is my other point - VW (People's Car) - the GTI/Ed30/R32 pushed the limits for what could be perceived as a regular "sporty" car.
(FWIW, I've just spec'd up a new Focus RS with all the toys - £28.5K) The "cheaper" Golf is attainable in relation to the company's ethos. Anybody remember the Phaeton? What a great success that was (despite being a good car) - stick an Audi badge on it, and you'd got an S8 :wink:
In other words, the Golf R is just too much money to justify itself in the market - yes WE want an uber-Golf. Something that will blow the competition away. Sadly at this price, that's going to be a tall order.

I'll stick to my Mk5  :grin:

Dan (phew!!! THAT was hard work! :grin:)

DA Productions

The fine art of diplomacy is telling somebody to "fcuk off" in such a way that they actually look forward to the journey....

Offline T88OMM

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: November 01, 2009, 10:28:20 am »
^^ My thoughts exactly matey ^^  :happy2:

I am told that the RS3 will come in the 8P shape in both sportback and 3 door and it will get the 2.5T (335PS)  :grin: :jumpmove:
TT-RS Plus - S-Tronic

Offline DanoGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • DA Productions
« Reply #78 on: November 01, 2009, 10:33:59 am »
It will be a while yet, but I *may* go to a B7 RS4 Avant - prices are tumbling :D

OR

as I'm 40 in 4 years, I'm toying with the idea of a regular runaround, and a TOY (Fezza or Porsche)  :grin:

Dan

DA Productions

The fine art of diplomacy is telling somebody to "fcuk off" in such a way that they actually look forward to the journey....

Offline Oli

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 10
  • living the dream....
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: November 01, 2009, 01:00:56 pm »
Prices aren't tumbling on the RS4. They are still going up/levelling. I sold my 2007 avant with 36k miles, for 33.5 k in July, I woulg get closer to 36k or more for it now. I only paid 28k for it in December .......

And well said Dan in your first post, couldn't agree more.
www.bmvs-camperhire.co.uk - Brand new VW California SE rental

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #80 on: November 01, 2009, 01:12:42 pm »
With the current pricing it looks like VW has only made the r20t as a halo car. Scirrocco R and S3 pricing makes more sense.

Offline DanoGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • DA Productions
« Reply #81 on: November 01, 2009, 01:16:36 pm »
Prices aren't tumbling on the RS4. They are still going up/levelling. I sold my 2007 avant with 36k miles, for 33.5 k in July

Forgot the "rolleyes" smiley....

Wishful thinking on a dropping RS4 at the moment!! :grin:

Dan :happy2:

DA Productions

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #82 on: November 01, 2009, 01:50:53 pm »
I'd love one of those RS3's.  Wonder if it really is just a dream though or will they give us it?

I specc'd a Golf and as I'd like it, came out at £36 large.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline T88OMM

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: November 01, 2009, 01:53:34 pm »
Apparently the RS3 is the real deal!  :jumpmove:

I hope it is because its gonna be my next car  :drool: :drool:
TT-RS Plus - S-Tronic

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #84 on: November 01, 2009, 02:00:55 pm »
I read a bit about it but then it seemed to go quiet.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #85 on: November 01, 2009, 02:04:54 pm »
Apparently the RS3 is the real deal!  :jumpmove:

I hope it is because its gonna be my next car  :drool: :drool:

I too have been getting itchy feet, and have been thinking about what could replace the cupra in the future but nothing stands out. For the money the cupra does everything so well. New M3 isnt quick enough, same with 911 carrera s. M6 too heavy, audi s4 too old man. Evo X could work but it would cost me a bundle to modify one to make it a worthy step up from the cupra, and females dont seem to like the looks. Audi TT-RS seems like the only real alternative to me. Will have to wait and see what 2nd hand prices will be like on a year or two old one will be. If they hit 30k at a year that will be me  :signLOL:

Offline BMX

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
    • Email
« Reply #86 on: November 01, 2009, 02:06:22 pm »
I'd love one of those RS3's.  Wonder if it really is just a dream though or will they give us it?

I specc'd a Golf and as I'd like it, came out at £36 large.

i know what i would be buying if i had that kind of money and it would be something like this 500bhp 1 owner 23k on the clock happy days  :driver:

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1244524.htm

"If Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."

Offline Oli

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 10
  • living the dream....
    • Email
« Reply #87 on: November 01, 2009, 02:21:55 pm »
I think that says it all......

Thread locked!!
www.bmvs-camperhire.co.uk - Brand new VW California SE rental

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #88 on: November 01, 2009, 03:49:28 pm »

I'm going to reserve judgement until seeing and (with any luck) driving the Golf R.

If the images can be believed, the next generation RS3 Sportback with 2.5cyl turbo would be a great car and the only one mentioned in this thread as an alternative to the Golf R which is a hatchback. But surely a RS3 Sportback S-tronic 2.5cyl is going to cost more than a Golf R.

Tom - 4-door M3's aren't hatchbacks and you can't fold the back seats flat (can you?). The 2-door version is the only one which looks good imo but doesn't offer what a Golf does (I'm repeating myself).

I drove an Evo X SST yesterday - Felt a bit detached from the road until getting it to drift or slide and then superbly corrects itself - Huge fun! Far too quiet and gearshifts are almost undetectable (not good). Looks great in blue but dashboard is a tad too fussy. It's not a hatchback either.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #89 on: November 01, 2009, 04:11:13 pm »
Spot the difference apart from the price.................. Similar BHP  etc..............

£32,473

http://www.pistonheads.com/SALES/1260639.htm

And the Golf R  without the Bucket seats (Specced the Recaro part leather seats) Hill hold, piano black inlays, Bose (specced the 10 speaker system though), Electric folding Door Mirrors, and Through load system.  Including Poor wheels too!

£34,280.00
Tried to find a white one but...........

S3 is over £2k cheaper with more options, and that it without any negotiation....................

No Brainer for me - Audi wins hands down, better specced and looks better too!  Is fully developed and time tested by the public.

That is just my opinion, based on facts from websites and as ever others are free to give theirs.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 04:16:49 pm by stokeballoon »