Make a donation

Author Topic: Golf and Scirocco R Launch info  (Read 29993 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: Golf and Scirocco R Launch info
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2009, 10:42:40 am »

yep, completely outa the market.

Its going only be for people who reaaally want a Golf R. maybe there are enough people to meet there quotas. If so, they make money and they create a Hot, sought after, rare car!

^ That's a contradiction: Not outa the market when there are people who will buy it - Those who reeeeally want it. I know I would.

Factor in the currency exchanges and upwards spiral of manufacturing costs.

Compare with the Mitsi: The RallyArt (or whatever it's called) is equivalent to the Golf but the Evo X (loaded version) is equivalent to the Golf R. Both Mitsi's are similarly priced to the two Golfs but they have the same base engine.

I think the Golf R will be a superb car but that all that most people here are saying is that they'd love one but either can't afford it or can't justify spending the money < Nothing wrong in that.

I like Nathan's idea of buying a 2yo though I'd be more tempted by a 1yo and it would absolutely have to meet ALL my spec of red, cloth Recaros, DSG, sunshine roof, etc - Fat chance!

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline R15MTY

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2009, 10:53:37 am »
VW configurator only shows the R as having Leather Recaros as an option and no cloth recaros  :confused:

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2009, 11:01:35 am »
sorry robin, i meant priced themselves out of the market of "people who want a hot hatch"

more so now in the market of "people who want a hot vw golf r hatch"

i just hope that market is big enough. I dont think VW need any lessons in making money though, they are probably the best out there! lol

Offline JPC

• Thank You
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2009, 11:02:19 am »
VW configurator only shows the R as having Leather Recaros as an option and no cloth recaros  :confused:

your right on that, and £3k+ OUCH!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2009, 11:12:36 am »

your right on that, and £3k+ OUCH!

....I know a very good car upholsterer so I'd change the centres to cloth. Would add even more cost though!

Weren't the leather Recaros about £3k as a factory option on the Mk5? Still very expensive!

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Oli

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 10
  • living the dream....
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2009, 11:18:39 am »
Ive just spent 10 minutes on the phone to my dealer, and am in the process of cancelling my order.  Like has been said, my spec, which didn't include nav  and leather was still £350000, however I would have added leather to make it easier to sell.  That is just a ridiculous price for a Golf, understand if it had the TTRS engine, but its a 2.0TFSI engine, of which I have in my ED30.  So like Steve said, its not worth £20k more than my current car, so I will be staying put.

Bear in mind, people will also be ordering these cars prior to a test drive - What if they are as numb as the S3  - BAD purchase.

So for that reason IM OUT!
www.bmvs-camperhire.co.uk - Brand new VW California SE rental

Offline neg

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 7
  • gone old skool
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2009, 11:22:20 am »
WOW £350,000  :laugh:

I can see you point, its not been developed as a 'special' once in a life time car - its the replacement to the R32 but as good price hike - and like you say its an S3 in a Golf coat.  So yes people will buy them I have no doubt but are they really 'worth' that much of a premium - and it doesnt even have the GTI badge  :P

Buy a 1yo Mk6 GTI, KO4 it and you almost there bar the 4motion.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 11:24:55 am by neg »

Offline JPC

• Thank You
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2009, 12:00:15 pm »
Bar the 4-mo is a BIIIIG bar!

id rather buy a newish r32 and charge it! get some crazy mk6 mods on there, surely it would be cheaper to build your own turbo charged mk5 r32 and turn it into a mk6! lol

Offline VC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 93
    • Very Cherry Stickers and Decals
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2009, 12:01:19 pm »
say what you like about special cars having a premium

but wiping the backside of £38.000.00 for a VW Golf?!?

i can think of better ways to buy scene points  :chicken:

Offline T88OMM

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2009, 12:20:44 pm »
I have just specced on one up and its nearly touching £40k!  :surprised: You can have a lovely second hand E92 M3, RS4 or 911 for that, WTF VW!?  :stupid:

And with this little beast rumoured to be coming very soon potential Golf R / Scirocco R owners may be best to wait. 2.5 litre, 335 BHP and 4WD with prices expected to start 35K! In the words of Very Cherry, Nyom Nyom Nyom  :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

TT-RS Plus - S-Tronic

Offline neg

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • gone old skool
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2009, 12:34:57 pm »
how wide is that front left wheel...

anyway, yes the 4motion is a big bar but only if you really need it...

Offline Mako V12V

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 4
    • Astons, Porsches & Golf GTIs
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2009, 01:03:11 pm »
I can understand all the comments about £35k - £40k for a GOLF, but looking at the performance in isolation against my previous 911:-

911 cost £60k - £70k v Golf £30k - £40k
911 bhp 285 v Golf 265
911 0-60 5.4s v Golf 5.5s (DSG)
911 top speed 173mph v Golf 155mph (prob limited)

All in all, quite good value for money for a performance car.

You just need to get over the stigma that VW Golfs shouldn't cost over £30k - after all they're making in roads into higher performance figures.
VW Golf Edition 30, Candy White, 3dr Manual. Plus a stunning Aston Martin V12 Vantage!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2009, 01:19:08 pm »

I have just specced on one up and its nearly touching £40k!  :surprised: You can have a lovely second hand E92 M3, RS4 or 911 for that, WTF VW!?  :stupid:

....But a M3 doesn't provide the accommodation that a Golf hatchback does (especially 5-door), the RS4 is a large family saloon, and the 911 is a glorious 2-seater sports car. The Golf offers what none of those cars do.

As for the expected new RS3 - What will a 5-door Sportback cost? And will it really look as good in the rest of its body styling as the front view does - Audi don't seem to be able to design anything exciting beyond the front on their 3 and 4 series.

I love the front of that blue RS3 but the sides and rear are unfortunately bound to be bland.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 01:31:11 pm by RedRobin »

Offline wigit

• Thank You
  • -Given: 129
  • -Receive: 42
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2009, 01:23:40 pm »
 :surprised: :surprised: :surprised: :surprised: :surprised:

Offline neg

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • gone old skool
« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2009, 01:29:07 pm »
I suppose in a way its a shame the Edition30 came with the S3 engine so making this nothing so - how should I put it .. unseen??

RR, I dont think anyone is going to convince you otherwise and I doubt they are trying to - just looking at the majority most are of the opinion its quite a lot for what it is.  Not that we all wouldnt take one in a heart beat.

The RS4 offers more - family wagon and a V8  :wink: