Make a donation

Author Topic: Golf and Scirocco R Launch info  (Read 28757 times)

Offline Poverty

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
Re: Golf and Scirocco R Launch info
« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2009, 07:18:33 pm »

The next generation A3 will be 150kgs lighter than the current model. The smart money goes on waiting for the new platform.

....Well there's always something 'better' on the horizon. It's called technological progress and it waits for no-one. The costs go up accordingly - They don't come down, check the price and spec : -

^ Of course I'm sure you didn't notice any peanut smuggling first :evilgrin:

Yep think I will carry on sticking with 20k Leon Cupras if im still in the market for a hothatch once the mk3 is out. Wonder what the Ex-Audi bosses who are now at SEAT gonna conjure up  :pomppomp:

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2009, 07:59:22 pm »

Yea i luv dat RS fing too ! ..................................... not

Yay its our Joe!  :signLOL: :signLOL:

Offline T30GUE

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2009, 11:37:27 pm »
Am I missing something here? As sort after as the Golf R will be, is it not a very similar spec to an S3/TTS??  (265 bhp/4wd)

Arn't these both available for a few grand less than 35-40k?

Offline wigit

• Thank You
  • -Given: 129
  • -Receive: 42
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2009, 11:39:48 pm »
S3 start at £27.5k, looking like a bargain  :wink:

Offline Mako V12V

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 4
    • Astons, Porsches & Golf GTIs
« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2009, 11:46:43 pm »
My theoretical specced Golf R came to £37500. I just chose some nice options, didn't go silly, only what i wanted. Think i'll wait for a couple of years and pick a 2nd hand one up. But then again i may just wait for the mk7. But then again, again my Ed30 is just  :love:
VW Golf Edition 30, Candy White, 3dr Manual. Plus a stunning Aston Martin V12 Vantage!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2009, 12:04:33 am »

Am I missing something here? As sort after as the Golf R will be, is it not a very similar spec to an S3/TTS??  (265 bhp/4wd)

....Yes, but only if you are comparing price for performance - How much bhp you can get for your buck < Something which many people here seem to do.

So many people seem to be driven solely by a desire to maximise their bhp for as little money as possible and also think that each brand represents a step up a ladder. Skoda > Seat > VW > Audi, for example. Bargain hunters :sad1:

The TT range is a 2-seater and doesn't offer what the Golf does in terms of being an allrounder. The S3 is more comparable, but.. Well, it depends what floats your boat.

Like many here with modified GTI's/Ed30's, there's little point in changing to a Golf R but if starting from another car, then a Golf R is very attractive indeed and compares in price (if you must) with an Evo X or a S3 S-tronic Sportback.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline chungster

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2009, 07:48:07 am »
i find it funny that everyone seems to think they'll pick one up 2nd hand in a few years.   :rolleye:

Errrrr, if you ALL think its too expensive now, who's gonna buy it NOW then and make it available 2nd hand in the future??

If no one buys it, there won't be any available, as its all special order. They won't be making 500 just for the sake of making them. If no one orders one, there won't be any around. Simple.

Now if a few does get ordered, they'll hold their value very well due to exclusivity.

But of course you can all hang around and wait for the sensibly priced 2nd hand car to come around. ETTO.

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2009, 09:29:00 am »
Am I missing something here? As sort after as the Golf R will be, is it not a very similar spec to an S3/TTS??  (265 bhp/4wd)

That's where my money would go if I was insistent on buying a new car.......................  looks better too! and fully developed!
 :happy2:

Offline VeeDubDan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2009, 10:02:03 am »
I think a lot of people who originally turned their noses up at the MK6 GTI for being too expensive, not much of an improvement and would wait for the R will be changing their opinion fairly quickly!!  :laugh:

Far too expensive for me to afford under my current circumstances.  When I think I bought a nine month old MK5 GTI with leather and touch screen nav for £16.5k there is no way I would/could justify £20k+ on top for a new R!

Offline Mako V12V

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 4
    • Astons, Porsches & Golf GTIs
« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2009, 10:26:48 am »
i find it funny that everyone seems to think they'll pick one up 2nd hand in a few years.   :rolleye:
Chungster - all 500 will be sold i'm sure. And it doesn't matter what the car is or how much was paid, there will always be people who sell within 2 years either because they've tried one, or they dont like it, or for financial reasons. Simples.
VW Golf Edition 30, Candy White, 3dr Manual. Plus a stunning Aston Martin V12 Vantage!

Offline neg

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
  • gone old skool
« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2009, 10:48:03 am »
Just out of interest, how many mk6 GTI's have you guys seen about....?  I drive round quite a lot during the week (all times of day) visiting customers and the like and I can honestly say I have not seen one for a few weeks now, in total I think I have only spotted 2 or 3 on the road since its been released.

I went to a dealer recently to pick up the wife's car and there were a few on the fourcourt starting at £26k+

Offline BMX

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2009, 12:09:23 pm »
wow makes me think iam defo keeping my edition 30

the R models are just silly money. i was thinking about the golf r but not at that money, might get myself a elise 111r for a weekend car aswell as the edition 30 and it would still be less money
"If Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."

Offline prepree

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2009, 12:18:19 pm »
I couldn't justify the money for the R but im sure it will be immense when it finally hits out shores, i think it may turn out to be a similar situation that Renault had with the Clio V6, when it first came out it was 50K! 50k for a clio, lets face it thats insane but after a year they slashed that price, i know VW has more "clout" than Renault but i think they will tumble down- if they had pitched this like a new R32 @ circa 25k base model i think a lot of us would be seriously considering it!
ETTO

Offline BMX

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: October 31, 2009, 12:31:31 pm »
with the current economic climate i certainly wont be buying one. dont vw realise theres a global recesion
"If Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2009, 01:24:56 pm »
with the current economic climate i certainly wont be buying one. dont vw realise theres a global recesion

they will make money on the golf R, i bet you! they know what they're doing! ;)