Make a donation

Author Topic: Golf and Scirocco R Launch info  (Read 28854 times)

Offline QD MBE

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
Re: Golf and Scirocco R Launch info
« Reply #90 on: November 01, 2009, 04:19:24 pm »
Just spotted a white one a few replies ^^^^^^ 

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #91 on: November 01, 2009, 04:22:12 pm »
Nice  :happy2:

:sick:

Whip them shocking wheels off to start with, tail pipes look like someone has done a poor R32 replica.

Really does not look special in the slightest. Can't see them having the slightest bit of trouble shifting them though as they have quite a big following.
Id still have one.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #92 on: November 01, 2009, 04:44:40 pm »

Spot the difference apart from the price.................. Similar BHP  etc..............

£32,473

And the Golf R  without the Bucket seats (Specced the Recaro part leather seats) Hill hold, piano black inlays, Bose (specced the 10 speaker system though), Electric folding Door Mirrors, and Through load system.  Including Poor wheels too!

£34,280.00

S3 is over £2k cheaper with more options, and that it without any negotiation....................

No Brainer for me - Audi wins hands down, better specced and looks better too!  Is fully developed and time tested by the public.

That is just my opinion, based on facts from websites and as ever others are free to give theirs.

.... :laugh: I was just about to write that there's ONLY about £2k price difference when I read your post saying the opposite!

That's not the new RS3 so, personally, I wouldn't be interested. I looked at the S3 Sportback 4 years ago but instantly preferred the GTI. But it is absolutely as you say - We all have our own individual preferences, there's no right or wrong car to buy.

:drinking:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #93 on: November 01, 2009, 05:04:40 pm »
No Brainer for me - Audi wins hands down, better specced and looks better too!  Is fully developed and time tested by the public.

Eh, how are people making these opinions? Not even the UK motoring press have driven it so no-one has any idea how good the Golf R is. It could be a million times better than an S3! But the Audi wins hands down...

Coming from an educated bunch like you lot I'm actually quite surprised how many people are comparing it to the S3.

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
« Reply #94 on: November 01, 2009, 05:11:29 pm »
We are all allowed opinions, and I(Educated)MO I would rather have a better looking, better specced,  tried and tested S3 model, with several years of further development behind it, for a cheaper price. 

As I said- just my opinion, you have yours and i respect that.

Offline Strat

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #95 on: November 01, 2009, 05:34:49 pm »
Good work Nath, I was waiting for the VW configurator to allow the R models!

I whole heartidly agree with what others have said, it just seems like its two steps above a GTI and when its £38k for a Golf seems absurd, its not like theres some sort of revolutionary technology on offer. So its got DRLs, different alloys, more powerful, etc but nothing ground breaking!

tbh i wouldn't get the RS3 either, way too expensive for the size car, id much rather get a coupe of some sorts, *cough* M3 *cough*. When your spending £40k why buy a hatchback?!
Candy

Offline chungster

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #96 on: November 01, 2009, 05:36:18 pm »
S3 better looking? i think IMO it is bloody boring, especially those wheels.

It may be fast and accomplished, but from what I've heard it is boring to drive. Plus there are too many of them around now.

Opinions are opinions. I am surprised at the response on here so far (£35k Golf R is OTT but £45k RS3 is ok????) but oh well ETTO and all that. I'm certainly not swayed by any of the comments thus far on here thats for sure.  :happy2:

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #97 on: November 01, 2009, 05:52:32 pm »
For me the Golf R actually being worth the extra over an S3 is quite concievable. However I'd see it as illogical to make this opinion without having first at least read the thoughts of a respected motoring journalist and/or driven it myself. Until then I can only look forward to seeing some reviews and hopefully some head-to-head tests.

Offline DanoGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 3
    • DA Productions
« Reply #98 on: November 01, 2009, 06:05:54 pm »
Still won't hide the fact that it's a £38k Golf! Lol! :grin:

only die-hard fanatics will pay that for a Golf.

But as said, ETTO :smiley:

Dan

DA Productions

The fine art of diplomacy is telling somebody to "fcuk off" in such a way that they actually look forward to the journey....

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #99 on: November 01, 2009, 08:58:39 pm »

Still won't hide the fact that it's a £38k Golf! Lol! :grin:

only die-hard fanatics will pay that for a Golf.

But as said, ETTO :smiley:

Dan

....But why lock yourself into a mindset which labels "Golfs" as only being produced and offered below a certain price level?

Is it badge snobbery? - If you spend an Audi/BMW price on a car then it must have the badge that shows publicly the sort of price you have paid?

And furthermore, it's merely a price level which some people here have decided either that they can't afford or simply don't want to spend. Which is fair enough btw.

Chase the vision and not the dollar.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #100 on: November 01, 2009, 09:10:38 pm »
if i was spending that sort of money id be waiting for audi to answer with a hotter S3 whic is surely on the cards

Offline DanoGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 3
    • DA Productions
« Reply #101 on: November 01, 2009, 09:46:34 pm »
....But why lock yourself into a mindset which labels "Golfs" as only being produced and offered below a certain price level?

Is it badge snobbery? - If you spend an Audi/BMW price on a car then it must have the badge that shows publicly the sort of price you have paid?

And furthermore, it's merely a price level which some people here have decided either that they can't afford or simply don't want to spend. Which is fair enough btw.

Chase the vision and not the dollar.

Simple really Robin - look at my previous post at what sort of marques are available for the same money. Stuff that blows VW out of the water. In fact read the whole post - it pretty much sums up the whole thing :smiley:

Dan

DA Productions

The fine art of diplomacy is telling somebody to "fcuk off" in such a way that they actually look forward to the journey....

Offline snapey

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
« Reply #102 on: November 01, 2009, 09:53:08 pm »
And there was me thinking that a Volkswagen was the 'people's car'.... One thing I can't quite understand though is why the Recaro's are a 3K option. I'm sure that their just over a K option on the S3 without checking.
If you have to ask why, you'll never understand.

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
« Reply #103 on: November 01, 2009, 09:58:24 pm »
And there was me thinking that a Volkswagen was the 'people's car'.... One thing I can't quite understand though is why the Recaro's are a 3K option. I'm sure that their just over a K option on the S3 without checking.

Good point Luke.  38k people's car?

:sad1:

Offline NB07

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 26
« Reply #104 on: November 01, 2009, 10:19:44 pm »
thay must think we are all bankers  :signLOL:

have you ordered yet then robin? if there is only 500 made im sure they will get snapped up. i think if you get one for under 30k with DSG it could be sought after. i do think its blooming expensive when a MK5 GTI was 19995 not long ago but R32's were always a lot more and ED30s were about 26k+ with DSG, all cars are getting more expensive and the residuals will be good. i remember the mini was selling for more than people paid for them a few years ago after putting a few miles on it! ony thing for me is that the MK6 is meant to be cheaper for them to make so the profit margins must be much higher now but its the same with all manufacturers the mugen Type R will be coming here at a starting price of 39k for gods sake! i dont think the R models sound that stupid now! better get saving!

Black Edition 30 DSG - Gone but not forgotten!