Make a donation

Author Topic: Golf and Scirocco R Launch info  (Read 29978 times)

Offline Snoopy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 15
Re: Golf and Scirocco R Launch info
« Reply #180 on: November 07, 2009, 01:21:00 pm »
About the R32:
"Some poor Wolfsburg mensch would have to fire up the heavy-duty forklift and attempt to prise that lardy six-pot into the engine bay of an unsuspecting hatchback. Then he'd do the same with a rear differential, a prop-shaft and some driveshafts. Whereupon a familiar vocabulary would be bestowed upon the vehicle. First would come the inert steering, then the shabby body control, closely followed by curiously asthmatic performance. But all of it would be overshadowed by the main event - some good ol' 4wd understeer."

I'm guessing they didn't think much of the R32 then  :wink:
:grin: Thats a great quote muct remember that  :grin:
Ex mk5 GTI owner, moved to a mk6 in 2010.

Offline andrewparker

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #181 on: November 12, 2009, 04:21:17 pm »

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 8
  • .:R32
« Reply #182 on: November 12, 2009, 04:37:52 pm »
LED's on camera's - have you not noticed it on top gear before?  Like when you try and video an old CRT tv

You can't miss it on the Veyron and Ford GT on TG. LOL @ poor wiring... It's all to do with the frame rate.

Autocar rated 'Roco R very highly, they think it's better than the RS - which goes without saying, but is high praise indeed from a car mag. There are 3 RS's on my daily commute now, getting a bit common aren't they? The green is just awful in the flesh, makes the car look so cheap.

Question is, will the Golf R be better or worse than the 'Roco for having the new AWD system? Also funny that both R cars get the EA113, not the EA888 from the Gti which is cleaner and more effecient. I wonder if the cost cutting measures employed on EA888 make it weaker than the EA113?

I'm also chasing a friend of mine who has a lot to do with VW/Audi calibration to see if he can confirm that they are trying out the TT-RS 5pot in a Golf... It started life in a Golf after all!
Only 250.1bhp - but with that noise, who cares?

Mile-muncher ordered: MkVI 1.6 TDi BlueMotion Match DSG with leather, winter pack, luxury pack, fogs, climate control, Dynaudio pack, RCD510 with DAB & MDI, flat tyre indicator

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #183 on: November 12, 2009, 04:51:45 pm »

LED's on camera's - have you not noticed it on top gear before?  Like when you try and video an old CRT tv

....No, I haven't noticed it on TG - I don't often watch it.

You can't miss it on the Veyron and Ford GT on TG. LOL @ poor wiring... It's all to do with the frame rate.

....I wrote "as if" : -

Not sure what's going on with the day time running lights on the Rocco

....They look a bit weak and as if the wiring isn't connected properly - Not cool.

Quite a favourable review over at PH:

http://www.pistonheads.com/roadtests/doc.asp?c=47&i=20974

....Very good read  :happy2:. I still don't much like the Rocco though, whether R or not.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 04:54:39 pm by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #184 on: November 12, 2009, 05:01:03 pm »
LED's on camera's - have you not noticed it on top gear before?  Like when you try and video an old CRT tv

Autocar rated 'Roco R very highly, they think it's better than the RS - which goes without saying, but is high praise indeed from a car mag. There are 3 RS's on my daily commute now, getting a bit common aren't they? The green is just awful in the flesh, makes the car look so cheap.

Question is, will the Golf R be better or worse than the 'Roco for having the new AWD system? Also funny that both R cars get the EA113, not the EA888 from the Gti which is cleaner and more effecient. I wonder if the cost cutting measures employed on EA888 make it weaker than the EA113?

I'm also chasing a friend of mine who has a lot to do with VW/Audi calibration to see if he can confirm that they are trying out the TT-RS 5pot in a Golf... It started life in a Golf after all!

As far as I'm led to believe, the TT-RS variant of that engine is kind of 'owned' by Quattro GmbH - being one of VAGs weird little splinter groups with a mind of its own, like BMWs M division.

Thus, it is unlikely they'll allow the engine to be used in anything other than an RS Audi. I think we'll see an RS3 with it in though.
Sideways yo!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #185 on: November 12, 2009, 05:13:23 pm »

As far as I'm led to believe, the TT-RS variant of that engine is kind of 'owned' by Quattro GmbH - being one of VAGs weird little splinter groups with a mind of its own, like BMWs M division.

Thus, it is unlikely they'll allow the engine to be used in anything other than an RS Audi. I think we'll see an RS3 with it in though.

....That's a great pity if the 2.5T 5-cyl engine is restricted in application :sad1:. However, why would they now consider it for a Golf/Rocco R unless the next generation beyond, by which time many other things will have changed.

Strong rumours that we won't see a RS3 at all but who knows - It's all speculation.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #186 on: November 12, 2009, 05:43:40 pm »
Yes, Audi press said it'd only ever go in the TT-RS... but the temptation to have one last blow out on the S3 before the new shape arrives, putting the R20 Golf in its place will surely be too much to pass up.
Sideways yo!

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #187 on: November 12, 2009, 05:47:27 pm »
Yes, Audi press said it'd only ever go in the TT-RS... but the temptation to have one last blow out on the S3 before the new shape arrives, putting the R20 Golf in its place will surely be too much to pass up.

Has anyone done anything interesting with the 2.5 yet? Can't really find anything more than a generic re-map etc?
APR Stage III TT-RS - 11.37 1/4 mile - 2.82 0-60 MPH

Build thread http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=3128

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #188 on: November 12, 2009, 06:23:47 pm »

Has anyone done anything interesting with the 2.5 yet? Can't really find anything more than a generic re-map etc?

MTM making a 500hp version.

This will replace the TT though.
http://www.germancarzone.com/tt/31097-tt-mk3-r4.html

Porsche chassis, audi engines. Win win.

Offline jonnyc

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #189 on: November 12, 2009, 06:27:53 pm »

Heard about that a while ago.. Actually just done some digging and it seems there good for 460hp and 470tq with only a map and exhaust.. CRAZY! I want one..
APR Stage III TT-RS - 11.37 1/4 mile - 2.82 0-60 MPH

Build thread http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=3128

Offline JPC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #190 on: November 12, 2009, 06:29:32 pm »

god knows if that will come to fruition but that is gorgeous!!

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #191 on: November 12, 2009, 06:36:14 pm »

Heard about that a while ago.. Actually just done some digging and it seems there good for 460hp and 470tq with only a map and exhaust.. CRAZY! I want one..

Your not the only one. But the possibility of a turboed R4 makes me want to wait and see what happens!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #192 on: November 12, 2009, 06:37:35 pm »

Yes, really tasty car!

Throw away the soft top (I don't like open tops) and replace with carbon roof section.

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #193 on: November 12, 2009, 06:53:14 pm »

LED's on camera's - have you not noticed it on top gear before?  Like when you try and video an old CRT tv

....No, I haven't noticed it on TG - I don't often watch it.

....I wrote "as if" : -

Not sure what's going on with the day time running lights on the Rocco

....They look a bit weak and as if the wiring isn't connected properly - Not cool.

Quite a favourable review over at PH:

http://www.pistonheads.com/roadtests/doc.asp?c=47&i=20974

....Very good read  :happy2:. I still don't much like the Rocco though, whether R or not.

Blimey... Sorry, it just made me chuckle. I didn't mean it maliciously.

Mile-muncher ordered: MkVI 1.6 TDi BlueMotion Match DSG with leather, winter pack, luxury pack, fogs, climate control, Dynaudio pack, RCD510 with DAB & MDI, flat tyre indicator

Offline animal

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #194 on: November 12, 2009, 06:56:10 pm »

Yes I have heard similar, but this guy I know works very closely with Quattro (he was works for another, albeit former, Audi aquisition) and he still seems to think they are playing with something.