Make a donation

Author Topic: Car is in for mechatronic replacement today... get it back tomorrow!  (Read 2761 times)

Offline bestygti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Properly excited, been doing the whole surging at low revs thing and the occasional clunk from 2 to 1 coming to a stop for a few weeks. Looking forward to driving it when it works properly ha :) Anyone with experience of having theres done what is it like after? totally different to drive?

Also, is there a bedding in period in which I should wait before looking at stage1? I'm properly tempted with it being an ed30 but voiding the warranty that I'll get with the mech unit puts me off

Cheers

Ian

Offline jocco

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
    • Email
Re: Car is in for mechatronic replacement today... get it back tomorrow!
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 03:07:59 pm »
How much?

Is your car under warranty?

And what do you mean by surging? Do you mean jerking on low revs?

The DSG on my Leon TFSI is starting to worry me.

It jerks when I put it in reverse and slightly touch the trhottle pedal.

Also I do hear a "clunk" when it downshift from 2nd to 1st on low revs.

Should I be worried, because the car has only 34000km (21000miles)

Offline J400uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 27
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,98768.0.html
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 05:24:17 pm »
What year is your car bestygti? Just interested to know which versions of the mechatronics unit are giving problems
2015 Audi TT Sport Scuba Blue 2.0 TFSI 230 PS

Offline h45gti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 05:57:38 pm »
when I got my mech unit done a few months back it totally transformed the car for me, I didn't have it long either and was disappointed that I had to endure driving a "brokenish" gearbox  :sick: . but since then car feels perfect now thank god! no surging or feeling of about to stall, clunk is still there however, mine wasn't fully replaced. it was partially stripped down and rebuilt either way, got 12 months warranty on the repaired unit and very happy with the results :happy2: smooth gear changes, smooth lift off :happy2:

VW Golf GTI 57reg

Offline bestygti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re:
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 06:09:24 pm »
Car is an 07 ed30, had the surging when taking off from a standstill, rpm would go up and down about 100 - 200 rpm until I got over about 1500.  It clunked on downshift from 2 to 1 when coming to a stop and it also did the surging in slow traffic. Also every now and again it felt like it was going to stall when it was coming to a stop. Only ever happened when the engine was warm. Full cost of replacement was 1800 as not under warranty but got a 50% goodwill from vw as it's fvwsh and low mileage at 50k.

If I were you jocco I'd get that in mate as that sounds like the beginning of the infamous mech failure but don't take my word for it; get them to have a look, they are usually reluctant to admit but be firm with them and you'll get there!

Offline bestygti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re:
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 06:10:06 pm »
Also good to hear h45 gti I've had the whole thing replaced so should be sweet as a nut! Hated the low rpm jerkiness it made it undriveable!

Offline jocco

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 02:22:40 am »
You got me worried besty. The car drives fine, except the jerking (surging) in reverse, it shifts great.
Did you try to get it reset to base values, I read that that helps, or do an oil change first?

Offline bestygti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re:
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 08:44:18 am »
I had both dsg reset and oil change done with no effect, the first thing vw will try is a dsg reset once that has been done if it still is the same it's most likely your mech unit. Like I say mate get it down before you get the flashing lights, false neutrals etc

Offline rich83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=5nm8an8nb9f5un0loqllo8j4bd&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2014, 09:46:21 am »
I have a feeling my mechatronic unit is on it's last legs too.  :sad1:

Offline bestygti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re:
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2014, 03:41:11 pm »
Hope not mate!

Just had a call from dealer, mech unit been fitted and all symptoms have gone. It's now smooth as a baby's behind in all gears with no knocks clunks or surging! Delivered tomorrow and I'm like a kid at Xmas.... now time to mull over taking it to r-tech for stage 1 hahaha.

Offline Leonpettit

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 9
  • 2008 Edition 30 DSG - No.1706
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89470.msg905534.html#msg905534
Re:
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2014, 06:44:43 pm »
Car is an 07 ed30, had the surging when taking off from a standstill, rpm would go up and down about 100 - 200 rpm until I got over about 1500.  It clunked on downshift from 2 to 1 when coming to a stop and it also did the surging in slow traffic. Also every now and again it felt like it was going to stall when it was coming to a stop. Only ever happened when the engine was warm. Full cost of replacement was 1800 as not under warranty but got a 50% goodwill from vw as it's fvwsh and low mileage at 50k.

If I were you jocco I'd get that in mate as that sounds like the beginning of the infamous mech failure but don't take my word for it; get them to have a look, they are usually reluctant to admit but be firm with them and you'll get there!

Is that 1800 with the 50% off or not? Which dealership quoted that? :happy2:
Mods coming soon...

Offline bestygti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2014, 08:12:50 pm »
1800 pre discount mate, so all in 900 quid-ish. Only got good will due to fvwsh and low mileage though I think!

Offline mac456

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2014, 11:55:48 pm »
good news mate,

£1800 is not as bad as I thought it would cost to have the mechatronic replaced.

Offline jocco

• Taking part
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2014, 01:39:21 am »
1800 is a lot for a unit that controls the dsg in my book.
What if you need to change the gearbox as well? Add that cost to the 1800 and its more then half the value of the car.
If it comes to that I will either get the unit fix by someone or sell the car.

Offline bestygti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2014, 12:57:38 pm »
Picked the car up this morning and totally blown away. Car is now so smooth its unreal! No jerkiness, surging or clunks. If anyone is reading this thread (like I did, late at night worrying about my DSG being on its way out) then don't hesitate to take it into VW and get it diagnosed/sorted, you wont regret it. If it's anything but silky smooth then its not right!

Cheers

Ian