Make a donation

Author Topic: stonechip removal the easy way?  (Read 5461 times)

Offline cuprajake

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,72567.0.html
stonechip removal the easy way?
« on: August 07, 2014, 05:28:32 pm »
like I said the other day, I started touching up any chips on the car with a 2k solid.

well today I began blocking them down with 2000, I then followed with a 3000 trizact and im now leaving it to breathe till weekend,

I did how ever miss a few chips so ive added some more touch up.

heres how it looks at the moment

DSC_3976 by cuprajake1, on Flickr

DSC_3973 by cuprajake1, on Flickr

DSC_3971 by cuprajake1, on Flickr

DSC_3969 by cuprajake1, on Flickr

ill again polish it up with 3m fastcut plus/yellow and then ultrafine. will make a massive difference to the front end and save me painting it. I have done the bumper too but that my need the gun on it lol
Tornado red ed30 #0728

Offline HandyAndy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 3
  • MkV Golf GTs 140
Re: stonechip removal the easy way?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 12:45:49 am »
I have been adding small blobs of paint to my front end too. The biggest problem I have found is as mine is that mid gunmetal grey. My local halfords didn't stock the 3 pen set, so I got them to match it from the colour code LA7T off the sticker in the boot. The first was a little too dark and gave the appearance of being a flat colour not a metallic as it should be.

Well the second mix by a different lad was much better and I have covered quiet a few of the little devils. I got a glass fibre pen from there too for smoothing the paint down, before applying the clear coat.

Pics below.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/roxv7zuqpydhy5q/IMG_20140807_203940.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jbol7d5ylpgj0k1/IMG_20140807_204024.jpg

I'm finding it quite therapeutic at the moment, clearing the plague of stone chips. I don't have a Scooby what I'll do with my time when there all taken care off ;)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 09:15:26 pm by HandyAndy »

United grey - Mk5 GTs [140] TDI on a 08 reg.

Offline biffobear

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 12
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 08:24:51 pm »
When I fill my stonechips, the paint never seems to be set when I wet sand it.

Offline HandyAndy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • MkV Golf GTs 140
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 08:42:49 pm »
When I fill my stonechips, the paint never seems to be set when I wet sand it.

In all this hot sunshine we have been having I have not had a problem with the paint going off. Its set in days, then the glassfibre pen has done a good job knocking the bump down before adding lacquer over the top. I got some t-cut today to go over the repaired areas.

Offline cuprajake

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 09:13:37 pm »
It depends on the paint your using.

In my case I'm lucky that it can be mixed as a solid, however as we're on water base at work I had to order it in, and it was sent as a solvent basecoat,

Here's a trick though if you mix base with the clear then add activator it will dry shiney, it's the same as the metallic ral colours, however your never going to get an amazing match with silver/grey with touch up it will be very dark,

Another tip is to buy some ultra fine nail art brushes off ebay, there perfect for it, failing that a toothpick will do.

Tomorrow Is polishing day.

Jake
Tornado red ed30 #0728

Saintsteve

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 09:26:14 pm »

In my case I'm lucky that it can be mixed as a solid, however as we're on water base at work I had to order it in, and it was sent as a solvent basecoat,

Here's a trick though if you mix base with the clear then add activator it will dry shiney, it's the same as the metallic ral colours, however your never going to get an amazing match with silver/grey with touch up it will be very dark,

Another tip is to buy some ultra fine nail art brushes off ebay, there perfect for it, failing that a toothpick will do.

Jake

I too have done this wet sanding to remove my old stone chips off mine, I used the multisticks from Halfords and it was a dam good match,
All I would say is you've got one shot of this, if your paint level is thin, like most panels on tornado red cars seem to be, don't go mad with the 3000 grit.. It's very easy to go through the clearcoat in the most effected areas being the front nose on the bonnet.

But done right, saves the need of an instant respraying route.I would also look to clear wrap the front once done to prevent further chips, as once the paint thickness is gone from wet sanding, your have little to play with.

:happy2:

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 09:29:07 pm »

Jake

I too have done this wet sanding to remove my old stone chips off mine, I used the multisticks from Halfords and it was a dam good match,
All I would say is you've got one shot of this, if your paint level is thin, like most panels on tornado red cars seem to be, don't go mad with the 3000 grit.. It's very easy to go through the clearcoat in the most effected areas being the front nose on the bonnet.

But done right, saves the need of an instant respraying route.I would also look to clear wrap the front once done to prevent further chips, as once the paint thickness is gone from wet sanding, your have little to play with.

if Jake rubs through the paint it wont matter as he is owns a car body shop :grin:

Offline HandyAndy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • MkV Golf GTs 140
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2014, 09:32:27 pm »
I was planning to blitz my wheels tomoz, I got some cleaner today for them but after all the rain we had I don't hold out much hope for it being fine enough? Only tomoz will tell.

Offline cuprajake

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 09:35:43 pm »
I think ill be fine, tornado red is cleared by the same machines that do the silver, grey and black there's no less pit on there etc,

I've also wet sanded a few cars in my time ;) inc my last leon cupra which came out like glass,

Andy, I don't want to paint it if I don't have to. The bumper prob will get painted as its quite peppered but don't fancy doing a bonnet blend just yet haha
Tornado red ed30 #0728

Saintsteve

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2014, 09:42:00 pm »
I think ill be fine, tornado red is cleared by the same machines that do the silver, grey and black there's no less pit on there etc,

I've also wet sanded a few cars in my time ;) inc my last leon cupra which came out like glass,

Andy, I don't want to paint it if I don't have to. The bumper prob will get painted as its quite peppered but don't fancy doing a bonnet blend just yet haha

Just thought I'd say, that mine in certain area's  was incredibly thin, especially the boot lid ,rear side bumper mouldings and front wings on depth  :scared:

Good luck jake, I look foward to seeing some end photos  :smiley:

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2014, 09:44:01 pm »

:signLOL:

Offline GTI-Ross

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 26
  • Learning All The Time :)
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2014, 10:30:48 pm »
This is the best guide ive seen, but a bit of patients is needed:
MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | VWR SubFrame Mount | VibraTechnics Upper Engine Mount | VibraTechnic Transmission Mount | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

MK5 GTI - DSG + Extras (Sold because DSG was Soooo Boring !!!)

Offline cuprajake

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2014, 10:39:39 pm »
Half of what he does is kind of pointless

The way he keys the chip won't actually key in the chip just round it so that's an un needed step. As is applying wax then taking it off. You can simply fill the chip, the paint won't come out, the chip by its very nature is an touch un even surface with may areas for the paint to grip.  I always go for the overnight cure, can imagine quite a few people burning the paint, not to mention heating the paint forces the curing prices and lifts the paint, maybe why he gets his paint coming out of the chips he fills.

Just my opinion of course. As I don't have fancy black gloves or expensively named earbuds ;)
Tornado red ed30 #0728

Offline GTI-Ross

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 26
  • Learning All The Time :)
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2014, 10:43:23 pm »
Half of what he does is kind of pointless

The way he keys the chip won't actually key in the chip just round it so that's an un needed step. As is applying wax then taking it off. You can simply fill the chip, the paint won't come out, the chip by its very nature is an touch un even surface with may areas for the paint to grip.  I always go for the overnight cure, can imagine quite a few people burning the paint, not to mention heating the paint forces the curing prices and lifts the paint, maybe why he gets his paint coming out of the chips he fills.

Just my opinion of course. As I don't have fancy black gloves or expensively named earbuds ;)

Yeah i think the wax step is overkill....

But to be fair, he is known as one of the best detailers in the world.
MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | VWR SubFrame Mount | VibraTechnics Upper Engine Mount | VibraTechnic Transmission Mount | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

MK5 GTI - DSG + Extras (Sold because DSG was Soooo Boring !!!)

Offline cuprajake

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2014, 10:05:21 pm »
Hey guys

Well I finished off the golf today,

The process:

3m fast cust plus on Indasa yellow compound pad
3m fast cut plus on 3m yellow pad
3m yellow top on 3m yellow pad
3m ultrafina on soft pad.
Autoglym hd wax
Autoglym fast glass
Autoglym rubber dressing
303 aerospace dressing
Autoglym tyre dressing

The results, I'm super happy with. The bonnet looks chinless as do the wings which was my intention.

Here are some pics.

DSC_3980 by cuprajake1, on Flickr

DSC_3986 by cuprajake1, on Flickr

Reflection of the skylight in the bonnet

DSC_3982 by cuprajake1, on Flickr

Then took outside in direct sunlight

DSC_3991 by cuprajake1, on Flickr

DSC_3997 by cuprajake1, on Flickr

The sky in the bonnet

DSC_3998 by cuprajake1, on Flickr

All the pics are direct off the camera, no ps.

Jake
Tornado red ed30 #0728