Make a donation

Author Topic: Vw have had me over  (Read 8092 times)

Offline Mk5jake

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Vw have had me over
« on: August 08, 2014, 06:46:46 pm »
Hi guys I wonder if you lot can help me, I purchased I 61 plate vw golf gti edition 35 (vw used approved) from listers Coventry in May 2014, I was very happy with the customer care and the car itself they included 3 years warrenty (1 year of of which was standard manufacture warrenty) now while I was looking at the car the salesman told me the previous owner was a good customer of there's and he always had the gti models and looked after them etc they also then told me that he had hit a barrier in the car I was looking to buy, he then proceeded to tell me that it was only minor damage and that the he had had the car repaired at vw to the Highest standard possible out of his own pocket, he said he told me the car had been damaged because he wanted to be totally honest with me to re assure me so that I knew everything about the cars past (this did not bother me as I couldn't tell the car had been repaired and I was buying it from a main approved used vw dealer) 3 happy months down the line I notice a creaking noise when Turning, parking, etc so I booked it in at vw to have a look today the 8th of August, and they have just told me on the phone that the car needs a whole new steering rack as it had been damaged from a front end collision, they then told me that because of this the warrenty is void on the car, he then said to ring the garage I bought the car from and arrange something with them to get it sorted or pay £1500 to get it fixes, I live in essex I bought the car from Coventry so it's not close so my local vw said they will fix the car once Coventry vw had agreed to pay for it .

Where do I stand in this situation ?

I have bought an approved used 2 year old gti that has a voided warrenty and a £1500 repair bill and I feel like crying

Any help much appreciated

Jake

Offline Markyed30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
Re: Vw have had me over
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 06:51:30 pm »
I think ur warranty is void on the rack only they can't void it completely  :stupid:

Offline MateyGuv

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 67
  • Instagram & YouTube - mateyguv
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,69555.0.html
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 08:39:31 pm »
Sorry to hear about your issues with your Ed35.  I hope I can help a little - I have worked in the Motor Industry for over 15 years and have come across all sorts of challenges and issues.
It sounds like the salesperson was honest with you and told you the vehicle has had work done to repair some damage which is refreshing to hear as they were not obligated to tell you this if the car has a clear HPI report.  You say that you were happy with the repairs as you couldn't tell it had been worked on so I assume the car looked great when you picked it up.  IF and I do stress IF the car was repaired by VW to VW standards as it has been indicated to you VW will have records of exactly what was done and how it was done.  This is needed as if at some point in the future you need to make a claim on the anti perforation warranty and the dealer can tell a repair has happened (body shop guys WILL be able to tell easily) the anti perforation warranty will be disputed if repaired by a non manufacturer approved body shop so a paper trail needs to exist.  Providing a VW approved body shop has carried out the work the anti perforation warranty will be un effected but this proof MUST exist.  I would secondly question the information given to you by the dealership claiming the repair work done will void the whole warranty on your vehicle.  If you bought your Ed35 from a main dealer it would HAVE to pass the Approved Used Car check - the clue is in the title of this check as simply put if it does not pass it CANNOT be an approved VW so a main dealer cannot sell it as approved.  If you were sold the vehicle as a non approved car this of course changes things.  If your car is a VW approved vehicle the checks done are meant to check that the vehicle is fit for purpose and road ready with no outstanding recalls and nothing to effect your warranty.  The New car warranty on VW is 3 years - 2 of which are manufacturer backed and the last year is dealer back (although a good level of cover) so you will be claiming under the third year dealer backed warranty which should cover your steering rack if memory serves correctly.  The fact that the original dealer approved this vehicle implies that when the vehicle was damaged the repairs were done to a standard high enough to not effect other components and remaining warranty's.
The dealer you have taken your car to will be loving the fact that you didn't purchase the car from them and are only using them to get an issue sorted out under warranty (hopefully)  I'v never understood why but service departments seem to get off on winding other dealers up in this way.  You will need to contact the dealer you bought the car from (Coventry) and explain the situation, I would request documented evidence that the repairs were actually done at a VW approved body shop and EXACTLY what was repaired.  I would also ask the dealer you have used to look into the creaking sound to put in writing that as a direct result of a front impact the steering rack has developed this fault.  If Coventry cannot supply documented evidence that the repairs were carried out at a VW approved body shop I would have serious thoughts if you wanted to keep the car and you certainly have ammunition to ask for your money back if you wanted to.  If the dealer that has looked at your car will put in writing that as a direct result of a front impact the steering rack has developed this fault you have grounds for a claim of the vehicle not being fit for purpose in the first place.
The problem with a warranty claim is that it is a massive ball ache for the dealer doing it for you.  Although manufacturers go on and on about their warranty's the reality is that they will do anything they can to avoid paying for them.  The dealer needs to jump through so many hoops to be paid under warranty its almost un workable in some situations.  The dealer you have gone to have probably not even checked the system to see if your car has been repaired by an approved body shop or not but have seen that there is evidence of a front impact so its easier to try and make the supplying dealer pay for it.
If I can help further please PM me your number and I will try and help as much as I can  :happy2:

Offline MateyGuv

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 67
  • Instagram & YouTube - mateyguv
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,69555.0.html
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 08:10:24 am »
Unfortunately the OP could have a nightmare sorting this out so the more info he has the better. Keep practicing reading though - it's a good skill to have  :grin:

Offline Mandy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 95
  • -Receive: 94
  • Drink Russian, Wear Italian, Drive German :)
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 09:34:12 am »
Christ I would read this thread but the paragraph side of my brain said no.

Paragraph? It's just one sentence... one verrrryyy long sentence lol. :laugh:

Hope the OP gets it sorted, unfortunately it's not unknown for some main dealers not to carry out pre approved checks properly as I have found out!
Driving: Tornado Red MK7 GTD, BMW 330e
Drove: Rising Blue Golf 6R, Reflex Silver Edition30 No.1684, Tornado Red Mk5 Golf GTI

Offline Mk5jake

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2014, 10:58:37 am »
Sorry to hear about your issues with your Ed35.  I hope I can help a little - I have worked in the Motor Industry for over 15 years and have come across all sorts of challenges and issues.
It sounds like the salesperson was honest with you and told you the vehicle has had work done to repair some damage which is refreshing to hear as they were not obligated to tell you this if the car has a clear HPI report.  You say that you were happy with the repairs as you couldn't tell it had been worked on so I assume the car looked great when you picked it up.  IF and I do stress IF the car was repaired by VW to VW standards as it has been indicated to you VW will have records of exactly what was done and how it was done.  This is needed as if at some point in the future you need to make a claim on the anti perforation warranty and the dealer can tell a repair has happened (body shop guys WILL be able to tell easily) the anti perforation warranty will be disputed if repaired by a non manufacturer approved body shop so a paper trail needs to exist.  Providing a VW approved body shop has carried out the work the anti perforation warranty will be un effected but this proof MUST exist.  I would secondly question the information given to you by the dealership claiming the repair work done will void the whole warranty on your vehicle.  If you bought your Ed35 from a main dealer it would HAVE to pass the Approved Used Car check - the clue is in the title of this check as simply put if it does not pass it CANNOT be an approved VW so a main dealer cannot sell it as approved.  If you were sold the vehicle as a non approved car this of course changes things.  If your car is a VW approved vehicle the checks done are meant to check that the vehicle is fit for purpose and road ready with no outstanding recalls and nothing to effect your warranty.  The New car warranty on VW is 3 years - 2 of which are manufacturer backed and the last year is dealer back (although a good level of cover) so you will be claiming under the third year dealer backed warranty which should cover your steering rack if memory serves correctly.  The fact that the original dealer approved this vehicle implies that when the vehicle was damaged the repairs were done to a standard high enough to not effect other components and remaining warranty's.
The dealer you have taken your car to will be loving the fact that you didn't purchase the car from them and are only using them to get an issue sorted out under warranty (hopefully)  I'v never understood why but service departments seem to get off on winding other dealers up in this way.  You will need to contact the dealer you bought the car from (Coventry) and explain the situation, I would request documented evidence that the repairs were actually done at a VW approved body shop and EXACTLY what was repaired.  I would also ask the dealer you have used to look into the creaking sound to put in writing that as a direct result of a front impact the steering rack has developed this fault.  If Coventry cannot supply documented evidence that the repairs were carried out at a VW approved body shop I would have serious thoughts if you wanted to keep the car and you certainly have ammunition to ask for your money back if you wanted to.  If the dealer that has looked at your car will put in writing that as a direct result of a front impact the steering rack has developed this fault you have grounds for a claim of the vehicle not being fit for purpose in the first place.
The problem with a warranty claim is that it is a massive ball ache for the dealer doing it for you.  Although manufacturers go on and on about their warranty's the reality is that they will do anything they can to avoid paying for them.  The dealer needs to jump through so many hoops to be paid under warranty its almost un workable in some situations.  The dealer you have gone to have probably not even checked the system to see if your car has been repaired by an approved body shop or not but have seen that there is evidence of a front impact so its easier to try and make the supplying dealer pay for it.
If I can help further please PM me your number and I will try and help as much as I can  :happy2:

Mateyguv thank you very much this has helped a lot, I will let you no how I get on :))

Offline dan930

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 56
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2014, 02:24:07 pm »
Goodluck mate,hope u get this sorted

MK6 golfR dsg
AKS TUNED
NORTECH PERFORMANCE HTA3071
R TECH custom map

Offline Alasdair

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2014, 08:57:26 am »

I thought the third year was a uk coverage, the factory will allow two years but the uk say the third year is on them. a manufacturing defect still has to be present to warrant a components replacement and under 60,000 miles in its third year.

With the last statement I do agree with you the retailer that the op has gone to will make the selling retailer pay or refer them back to they, in a way you can't blame them as the op never brought the car from the repairing retailer, however this is not very good customer services.

Back to the op's statement about the vehicles warranty now only any steering components within the front end of the vehicle  along with what repair work was carried out will not be covered under warranty due to this accident.

Op you need to be thinking back to May time, was the noise evident? in what way can the retailer prove now to you this is the result of the accident prior to your ownership? The problem I see is that if the accident was that bad to damage the steering rack surely the fault should have been picked up at the used car sale prep and be evident from May time? As the selling dealer may fob you off and blame you for the damage

Offline simonp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 38
  • No longer a Golfer
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2014, 09:11:44 am »
I'm pretty sure under the Sale Of Goods Act that if a car develops a fault within 6 months of ownership the onus is on the seller to prove that it wasn't present at the time of the sale and is obliged to repair it if they can't do just that.

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2014, 09:18:35 am »
I would write to the previous owner and get his input on the accident damage and what was damaged and where it was repaired , if it was repaired by a VW approved garage you would get a little booklet at the conclusion of the repair . He may still have that . Why did he not get the car repaired under insurance ? Also ask him how did VW know about the damage repair etc ? It is something i wouldn't be telling a dealer when chopping in my car , it is down to them to examine it and give a price based on their examination of it , did they knock him down due to this damage , did he tell them  ?

You have only had the car 3 months , i would speak to the Dealer Principal at the Dealership , they have sold a car that doesn't conform to the VW approved quality . They would not want this to get back to VW itself , i am certain you will get the right answer from them . Good Luck

Below is what you should get if VW approved Bodyshop repaired the car

« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 09:35:32 am by garrardrj »
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline JIEEE

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2014, 10:30:07 pm »

Some sound advice indeed.

Offline Mk5jake

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2014, 11:10:09 pm »
Thank you very much everyone you have helped a lot, as it stands ATM I'm refusing to take the car back as I don't want to drive it and cause more damage to something else, the original dealer I bought the car from have said they have spoken to my local vw and that they have said there is a clicking noise with the steering but the car is still roadworthy (nothing about the steering rack being faulty), this is NOT what I was told on Friday by my service guy, he said to me "the steering rack will need to be replaced du to accident damage and that this was not covered under warranty du to it being damaged in the accident", I'm not sure what's going on now weather my local dealer has lied to me, or the dealer I got the car from is trying to cover something up because he has also said they are coming to collect the car first thing Monday morning to take it back to Coventry to have a look, there also sending a courtesy car down ASAP no questions asked, to be honest I don't want them touching the car until I have a report from my local vw saying the steering rack needs replacing du to accident damage,

Also if they have no proof that the car was repaired by an approved vw body shop, am I right in saying technically they wasn't allowed to sell me the car in the first place as it was not repaired by them ? The approved used car check that was carried out on the car clearly wasn't carried out properly as surly they would have noticed the steering rack being damaged ?

I haven't got a clue if this is going to go well or really bad for me and it's ruined the car itself for me now too, I'm not sure I even want it back after finding all this out, dose anyone know if I'm entitled to swap the car for another edition 35 to the same or better spec as compensation for there wrong doing ?

Thanks again for your help everyone (sorry for the poor writing)

Offline Oggy172

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2014, 05:18:13 am »
I'd say you were covered.

Sale of Goods Act

Buying a new or used car from a car dealer comes under the scope of the Sale of Goods Act which states that any item you buy from a Trader must be:

Of satisfactory quality
Fit for purpose, and
As described

Offline Viking

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2014, 09:25:06 am »
Knowing car dealers...

The dealer you bought it from has sold you a car which is more or less as described.

Dealer 2 has the car in for inspection for a noise, and takes the easy (not best) option of telling the customer that a complete replacement of the affected part is required. The warranty is too much hassle for them (due to the previous accident damage) so they just tell you it's not covered and you'll have to pay for it.

You go back to dealer 1 and start asking questions.

They contact dealer 2 who now make up a different story as they've been caught out.

Dealer 1 pulls out the stops to keep you as their customer happy.

Dealer 2 is just being arsey because you're not a customer of theirs and they don't want the hassle of tidying up a job for another dealer.

If you do a search I'm sure you'll find that there's a common "creaking" noise associated with the front subframe or something due to some bolts not being properly tight. That's on the Mk5, but I'm sure the Mk6 will be the same.
Sarcasm for free. Anything after that can only be considered as a bonus.

Just because you think you know something, doesn't make you an expert if you've just read it on the internet, y'know.

Offline Mk5jake

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2014, 10:57:02 am »
Right an update, the dealer I got the car from has agreed to pay for a new steering rack if it's been caused by accident damage, of if it's a falty item it will get replaced under warrenty, so that's that part sorted out, they are sending someone all the way down here to collect the car to drive it back to Coventry which I am NOT happy about as I don't Trust someone driving my car all that way, they could thrash the thing all the way back to Coventry and they will put un needed milage on my car, not to mention stone chips etc  :fighting: