Make a donation

Author Topic: FMIC - help with decision please  (Read 4061 times)

Offline bluo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 6
FMIC - help with decision please
« on: August 11, 2014, 03:40:02 pm »
I've got a mk5 gti k03 going k04 among other upgrades and need some help with the intercooler.

I have been looking at the THS and S3 fmic and can't make up my mind which one to go with even after searching forums and reading reviews.

Anybody got any first hand experience with either or both who could give me some good advice on which one to go with?

THS volume: 14.43L
S3 Volume: 10.13L
GTi Volume: 8.63L

Appreciate your help guys!

Offline MC71

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
Re: FMIC - help with decision please
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 06:19:59 pm »
THS gets my vote.

Out of the 2 you mention the THS is better AFAIK but if cost comes into the consideration then you may find the S3 a very close second. Add a Tintercooler to that S3 in the future and your cooking (or cooling).

Se what I did there!  :grin:

Even during these nice hot summer days I've noticed NO drop off in power/performance no matter the amount i press on over a sustained period of time.

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline vRSAlex

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 253
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19941.0.html
www.akstuning.co.uk - info@akstuning.com - 01234 822324
Follow AKS tuning on Facebook

Offline bluo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 09:21:21 pm »
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,87051.0.html  :happy2:

mmm... Got my eye on this one, thanks for giving me something else to consider! I'd be interested to know how it performs.

Offline bluo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 09:22:42 pm »
THS gets my vote.

Out of the 2 you mention the THS is better AFAIK but if cost comes into the consideration then you may find the S3 a very close second. Add a Tintercooler to that S3 in the future and your cooking (or cooling).

Se what I did there!  :grin:

Even during these nice hot summer days I've noticed NO drop off in power/performance no matter the amount i press on over a sustained period of time.

Lol, I see... I don't fancy the piggy back and price is not really a factor at this point, I just want the right solution first time round.

Offline flashp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 65
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 09:51:32 pm »
It's easy to be seduced by beautifully made parts, but find someone who can advise on issues such as volumetric efficiency 'vs' boost pressure and thermal performance. Consider your anticipated level of tune in the future also.
I don't believe biggest is always best in this case.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 10:09:18 pm by flashp »

Gone but not forgotten :-)

Offline bluo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 09:54:47 pm »
It's easy to seduced by beautifully made parts, but find someone who can advise on issues such as volumetric efficiency 'vs' boost pressure and thermal performance. Consider your anticipated level of tune in the future also.

I'm certainly looking at future proofing my mod so this type of advice is what I'm really after... I don't think I'll go bigger than a K04 but will definitely look at getting the most out of the car from there. Rods and pistons at a later date but that's where I'm heading.

Offline flashp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 65
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 10:09:00 pm »
It's easy to seduced by beautifully made parts, but find someone who can advise on issues such as volumetric efficiency 'vs' boost pressure and thermal performance. Consider your anticipated level of tune in the future also.

I'm certainly looking at future proofing my mod so this type of advice is what I'm really after... I don't think I'll go bigger than a K04 but will definitely look at getting the most out of the car from there. Rods and pistons at a later date but that's where I'm heading.
I have an S3 cooler at stage 2+ (330hp) and I've taken part in numerous track days and had no issues, one of those sessions lasted 30 minutes and I experienced no issues. I'm not qualified to tell you what to buy but I can tell you what I've experienced.  :drinking: And it was a reasonable £250 fitted.

Gone but not forgotten :-)

Offline bluo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 10:18:18 pm »

I have an S3 cooler at stage 2+ (330hp) and I've taken part in numerous track days and had no issues, one of those sessions lasted 30 minutes and I experienced no issues. I'm not qualified to tell you what to buy but I can tell you what I've experienced.  :drinking: And it was a reasonable £250 fitted.

I was going with the S3 cooler until my research lead me to the THS one and it left me a little unsure...

Offline 56OctyVRS

• Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 72
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2014, 10:39:50 pm »
Don't forget Airtec as there are some big power Focus RS using these with no issues.
Frozen White Ford Focus 1.6 Ecoboost Titanium.
Mods so far - Superchips Bluefin, High Flow Air Box

Offline berg

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2014, 05:12:11 pm »
the s3 cooler is meant to be good for 500bhp. THS is a superior cooler though. Peron may be better again.

They all do their job so does depend on budget and pesoanl preference
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline bluo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2014, 06:05:24 pm »
the s3 cooler is meant to be good for 500bhp. THS is a superior cooler though. Peron may be better again.

What cooler you running berg?

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2014, 06:55:01 pm »
I have a Eurojet and am currently running around 500bhp. No issues at all on mine, but I run WMI too.

:smiley:
Golf R gone.

Offline berg

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2014, 10:24:54 pm »

S3 with twintercooler. Would just the THS be better? Possibly but I imagine any differences won't be felt behind the wheel. I get confused with airtec and eurojet they both different I take it
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline bluo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2014, 11:56:35 pm »
I have a Eurojet and am currently running around 500bhp. No issues at all on mine, but I run WMI too.

:smiley:

S3 with twintercooler. Would just the THS be better? Possibly but I imagine any differences won't be felt behind the wheel. I get confused with airtec and eurojet they both different I take it

I'm really stuck for a decision!!! Someone make my mind up for me please...

I started with S3 & THS now I've got about 5 to consider now, is there any was to future proof my decision or are they all much of a muchness?